QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

my Winter Crossing Cub lists

I am not on you Winter Crossing Club list and I think I qualify. The last/first time I went was the December 15, 2003 crossing. Well, I guess that wasn't technically winter, so maybe not. However, it was sure rough for a couple of days!

Allis154

You malign the old gal! The CARONIA was a very fine sea boat

I'm not saying she was bad - but based on reputation alone, QE2 should be better.

I'd much rather have had her long elegant prow slicing through the waves, than the stub-nose of the COSTA FORTUNA (truly, a name beyond parody!)

I have to agree with you there! And yes, COSTA FORTUNA is a hilariously bad name. Just awful!

Actually what we paid before flash discount deals were offered was what the flash discount price for a C-2 ended up being.

Whoa... Sorry if I gave the impression that I wanted to know what you paid but please let's not get into that discussion, not least so that those of us who paid outrageously low fares don't get lynched by those who didn't ;) ...

The last time I was on the QE2, one of my tablemates kept brining up the issue that I was on three deck and she was one five deck, so I must have paid a lot more for our cabin.

I agree, that must have been really embarrassing!

We did once have tablemates who were apalled that they were assigned an inside cabin the lowest deck... When of course that's what they paid for...

Same goes for "So, what do you do for a living?" conversations.

That doesn't bother me, unless it's asked in an obviously pretentious manner (which it is, sometimes - as in, "I'm the chairman of a billion-dollar corporation - what do you do?"). As Ernie says, I think a lot of the time it's just "small talk" where the other party really can't think of anything better to say.

I'm a fairly anal person and very detail oriented. I enjoy things like maps, deck plans, statistics, lists, comparisons, etc.

Same here. I'm a compulsive list-maker! And as for deck plans... Don't get me started!

I have to joins the lists and maps club as well. Have a look at

http://website.lineone.net/~jonclair/qe2_jan06/index.htm

for my Winter Crossing Cub lists and maps.

Now that is impressive! I haven't the time to look over all of it now, but I certainly will later. Should keep me busy for a while ;) !

Ok John : I will get your names amalgamated when I re do the list, I had just done it five mins ago so too late. At the moment I am trying to get my weather map list sorted out.

Skipperette you will be added too.

Doug : Thanks, my hope is one of my long sufferring friends will save this page each day while we are away so we will have a total record of what happened while we were away.

Less than two weeks now.

This thread is moving so fast that posting our cabin number seems to be so yesterday.:o

Although I'm uncomfortable about being asked some personal questions, I think that knowing how much a cabin may have been discounted will only make us better consumers in the future. (Our first crossing on QE2 was in 1990 and we would have greatly benefitted from learning some things which have been discussed on this board regarding pricing and booking strategies.)

We received our docs yesterday. We had booked a P3 guarantee through a TA at a better rate than the P4 guarantee offered by Cunard. Our docs indicated that we had been assigned #3073 (P2) however, a phone call to our TA last night revealed that we had been upgraded to #1074 (P1).

originally posted by Calliope :

Actually what we paid before flash discount deals were offered was what the flash discount price for a C-2 ended up being. So in reality we were placed in a room that was at the going rate of what we paid.

That seems fair and gives me confidence in the way the Princess organization is assigning cabins.

originally posted by Host Doug:

He said upgrades are fairly common, but only ever "one jump", e.g. M to C. He said they never do multiple "jumps"

I seem to recall reading about an M to P upgrade on another thread (quite a while ago). I'll have to see if I can find it. However, I would agree that they are quite rare. The best we've ever experienced are one or two steps in the same cabin grade.

Host Doug, you might still receive an upgrade. We're keeping our fingers crossed for you!:)

Our docs indicated that we had been assigned #3073 (P2) however, a phone call to our TA last night revealed that we had been upgraded to #1074 (P1).

Well, congratulations then!

Maybe they can give me 3073 now that you're not using it any longer ;) ?

That seems fair and gives me confidence in the way the Princess organization is assigning cabins.

Well, as far as Frank is concerned, the C2 seems absolutely fair, the Q4... Not as fair ;) .

Host Doug, you might still receive an upgrade. We're keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! Your crossed fingers are greatly appreciated :) .

Actually I am really happy with my cabin, 4143 (C5), which I prefer to the vast majority of cabins below C2 (and even a few above), but must admit that some of the upgrades we see here are a bit envy-inducing ;) ...

Jon,

Just had a good look at your page - maps are fascinating - but why does your list include more members (Cruise Critic I mean - not including others here) than Tom's?

There are some names that I don't think I've seen on this thread... Is there another thread floating around somewhere, or...?

In the interest of disclosure, "Skipperette" is none other than my favorite QE2 partner - my wife Jan !!!

I think that she was feeling a little left out by not having her very own personal screen name...

So I will delete her from my listing and post her separately (ala "tandemtourer" and "captaintandem") as "Skipperette" !!

Tom, now solo - in a sense :eek:

Hi Doug

I have just added any when I saw them, I do not even know where I have got them all from I may have of course put CruiseCritic beside people that I got from other sources. I think there is a rolecall on cruisecritic somewhere but I've not looked at it for a while.

We will have the fun of finding out who is all there in two weeks time.

Perhaps he's too shy (or will run a mile when he sees us), but another multiple Transatlantic vet, but QE2 virgin, Jeff - who I met on CARONIA on her last westbound Transatlantic, will be travelling with his friend Marlene. They've booked a shoebox, in the hope of something better.....as I said, QE2 virgins.....

Peter

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway 2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

* Skipperette (Jan)

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat (Chris)

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John & Maureen)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

* PeterB

* Host Doug

* NewtoQE2 (Christy)

* Commodore Mik (Mike)

* Chris & Angela

* Jon

I would never think of talking about the fare that I paid while I'm aboard the boat or ship. And people that are rude enough to ask, hear what I think about them asking.

On this board I will be happy to give some generalizations, as I think that I have. I think that what I have posted might add some info into the collective pool of knowledge about how upgrades are doled out. What's posted here is certainly digested by a lot of very interested cruise junkies. Postings by Eroller and Ocngypz on this matter have been very helpful in trying to make sense out of the whole mess.

I don't think any serious member on this board is at all interested about a particular person's upgrade to have some salacious gossip or to think he didn't get as good of a deal as I did, aren't I the lucky one! We realize upgrades are a fact of cruising now, and probably won't go away for awhile.

I certainly appreciate being on the receiving end of an upgrade, and I'm happy when other friends get them too. Both Cheryl and I are thrilled to be upgraded. Will I still hope for others, you bet. Will I be upset if I don't get one on a future trip, no way. I pay to be in the room that I want and can afford. I've never been disappointed, and there are times, like this, when I'm thrilled beyond belief!

I certainly appreciate being on the receiving end of an upgrade, and I'm happy when other friends get them too. Both Cheryl and I are thrilled to be upgraded. Will I still hope for others, you bet. Will I be upset if I don't get one on a future trip, no way. I pay to be in the room that I want and can afford. I've never been disappointed, and there are times, like this, when I'm thrilled beyond belief!

Great attitude! Enjoy that fabulous upgrade!

Of course you do know there is one caveat required when receiving such a generous upgrade .... and it goes way back to the beginning or transatlantic ocean travel. ;) The recipient of such fabulous upgrade must host "upgrade party" in their suite! :)

Seriously ... I'm very happy for you!

Ernie

Perhaps he's too shy (or will run a mile when he sees us), but another multiple Transatlantic vet, but QE2 virgin, Jeff - who I met on CARONIA on her last westbound Transatlantic, will be travelling with his friend Marlene. They've booked a shoebox, in the hope of something better.....as I said, QE2 virgins.....

Peter

Peter, could this be Jeff Marshall? Just curious.

Also, I have an acquaintance that I've sailed with a couple times who will be onboard QE2 but is not on our list. Tim Yoder. He is also a fellow flight attendant, although for a competing airline. I believe he will be traveling in a single cabin and he booked very last minute. Anyway, he has several QE2 crossings (including Winter ones) under his belt so he certainly qualifies as a WCC member.

Ernie

As Tony Blair's spokesman might say 'You might very well think so, but I couldn't possibly comment!' I'm sure you may read between the lines.....

Peter

:)

Actually, I've never met the guy ... but someone I know was looking for a cabinmate and his name came up. In any case, the Jeff I mentioned emailed me that he did find a roommate and will be sailing. The more the merrier! I did provide him with a link to this thread if he is interested.

Ernie

I have just added any when I saw them, I do not even know where I have got them all from

OK. I think there might be a few names on there who aren't coming... Though I don't recognize most of the ones that aren't on Tom's list at all.

I think there is a rolecall on cruisecritic somewhere but I've not looked at it for a while.

I'll have to go try to find it now, and see if some of your "mystery names" show up there!

people that are rude enough to ask, hear what I think about them asking.

Good! They should hear what you think.

What you paid should be between you, the cruise line, and your bank/credit card company :) .

trying to make sense out of the whole mess.

I've pretty much given up trying to make sense of it. I think fare paid probably has something to do with it, but beyond that, I'm fairly mystified.

But of course, the more information, the merrier. I find it all very interesting as long as nobody starts discussing numbers (that is, fares, not cabin numbers!) at which point I leave the room ;) ...

The recipient of such fabulous upgrade must host "upgrade party" in their suite!

If this list keeps getting longer, Chris & Angela will be the only ones with a cabin big enough to fit all of us in ;) !

BTW does Tim work for NW? Tall gentleman? Met someone similar on the 2002 crossing.....

Peter

That's the guy. Very funny and bigger than life personality! I met Tim on a REMBRANDT crossing back in 1998. Amazing cruise that was. My best friend Rich is also a flight attendant for NW, but he and his partner can't make this crossing. :(

Ernie

will be onboard QE2 but is not on our list.

I know there are at least a couple of regulars on the winter crossing who lurk here but do not post...

...hello out there on Long Island and in London and Virginia...

You'll all meet them on board, and all the rest of the familiar faces from winter crossings past.

It's a wonderful mix of interesting life-loving adventurous people.

Ya gotta be to want to cross the North Atlantic in the dead of winter! :rolleyes:

Hi, All.

My brother and his partner finally received their travel docs yesterday; but apparently, there was a "delay" with mine and my step-mother's. The TA says he'll have them by Thursday at the latest and then will FedEx them to me. Yikes! I am starting to get very nervous!

Your conversations about "what do you do" were cracking me up...especially when you answer something like tax inspector, undertaker, etc. Well, I'm a natural conversation killer. When I tell people that I'm a math professor, they just go "ohhhhhhhhhh" and walk away. I love lists, charts, maps, too!:D

--Christy

Archived