what you wish you had bought but didnt

cruisemuse27

Hi Loraine,

Sorry I didn't answer you before but I guess I didn't get back to this thread.

Thanks for the information about the bargaining. We are pretty good at it, but good to know we shouldn't pay more than 1/3.

I don't know how brave I would be now to have my picture taken again with a cobra, but one never knows........lol....I'll let you know when I get back.

Ellen:)

We were in one of the Baltic ports and I saw a lovely sweater woven with some Fox...black...wonderful. It was $800 and I thought that was high, and I was suspicious of the Fox part. I never got it out of my mind and finally saw one almost like it made by Escada...yikes...way, way more! Never again will I let that happen.

We went to both the leather factory and the Turkman rug factory in Ephasus. I did get two Turkish hand woven silk rugs and I knew the prices because I have others. Their prices were very good, but you had to bargain...a lot. Their colors are better than the ones from Iran. Also at the leather factory there was a beautiful mixed leather and suede coat...I got it..I could never find another like it.

Life is like a brass ring...you have to grab it, or it is gone.

Hi Loraine,

Sorry I didn't answer you before but I guess I didn't get back to this thread.

Thanks for the information about the bargaining. We are pretty good at it, but good to know we shouldn't pay more than 1/3.

I don't know how brave I would be now to have my picture taken again with a cobra, but one never knows........lol....I'll let you know when I get back.

Ellen:)

Go for it!

I do not regret each Christmas ornament I have purchased while traveling over the years. When we put up the tree each year, it brings back really good memories of where we have traveled.

I agree. No regrets here. I collect Christmas ornaments also. Now have 2 trees because I have so many. Have them from most places I have travelled. Everyone told me I would not find one in Turkey & Morocco but I did find 1 in Turkey. Took me 2 hours in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul but I found one. A little dusty & not very brightly coloured but Santa was hand painted on this tiny glass bauble. It was expensive compared to other's I have purchased but who cares when you are on holidays.

If I see something I love or even like I buy it. I never leave a ship/country to come home to Australia without excess baggage.

Just ask Lyn, she laughs at me every cruise we do together at the amount of stuff I buy. One of the "O" security guys (whose name shall remain with me) has been on about 8-9 of my cruises, tips off the other security people, that I am onboard & that I am a big shopper and tells me to use the crew gangway if it makes it easier to get all my goodies back to my cabin.:)

I agree. No regrets here. I collect Christmas ornaments also. Now have 2 trees because I have so many. Have them from most places I have travelled. Everyone told me I would not find one in Turkey & Morocco but I did find 1 in Turkey. Took me 2 hours in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul but I found one. A little dusty & not very brightly coloured but Santa was hand painted on this tiny glass bauble. It was expensive compared to other's I have purchased but who cares when you are on holidays.

If I see something I love or even like I buy it. I never leave a ship/country to come home to Australia without excess baggage.

Just ask Lyn, she laughs at me every cruise we do together at the amount of stuff I buy. One of the "O" security guys (whose name shall remain with me) has been on about 8-9 of my cruises, tips off the other security people, that I am onboard & that I am a big shopper and tells me to use the crew gangway if it makes it easier to get all my goodies back to my cabin.:)

Rhonda,

For your River Routes & Channel Cruise shopping next year :

There is a great 'Christmas Shop' in OldMontreal across from the NotreDame Basilica. There are also beautiful artisan boutiques & an artist alley at Place Jacques Cartier and and plenty of stylish boutiques all within walking distance of the ship!! Montreal is a shoppers' paradise.

I do not really regret not buying a rug in Turkey...it would have been nice but at $6000 it was just as well I left it there

I would be like the others & not walk on it ;)

If

Over the years, the memories of many cruises tend to get a bit mixed up. A kitchen towel that says "Bula!" on it brings back vivid memories of Fiji (all my towels are from places around the world). The Embera basket on my kitchen wall makes me smile to think of dancing with the chief in Panama. I try to buy small, useful items that will bring me years of pleasure, as opposed to trinkets that will be packed away for lack of room.

I do not regret paying $2500 for a Colombian emerald necklace that I lusted after. Something so elegant would not get the use that it deserves.

Small purchases give me a great deal of pleasure, at the time and in the future, and I like the idea of supporting the local economy.

One lovely purchase that did not get used for long - DH bought a beautiful rug in Morocco, which he placed on the floor of his office. It was hilarious to see the lengths people went to to avoid stepping on it. It made people so uncomfortable that he had to take it away.

Rhonda,

There is a great 'Christmas Shop' in OldMontreal across from the NotreDame Basilica. There are also beautiful artisan boutiques & an artist alley at Place Jacques Cartier and and plenty of stylish boutiques all within walking distance of the ship!! Montreal is a shoppers' paradise.

Now you have done it :eek:

She will need to bring 2 extra carry-on bags with her :D

Lyn

I do not regret paying $2500 for a Colombian emerald necklace that I lusted after. Something so elegant would not get the use that it deserves.

Oops. I missed a very important word - I do not regret NOT buying an expensive necklace that would seldom be worn. :o

We absolutely loved Fiji. DH has a set of cannibal cutlery hanging on the wall of his office. Although he has never had the opportunity to use any of the pieces (such as the brain picker), it gives him great pleasure and it is definitely a conversation piece. (Try explaining to Customs that the big wooden instrument is actually a throat slasher.)

Who could regret buying items that will make the pleasure of the trip last a lifetime?

Rhonda,

Thank you. This will give me a head start lol

Now she needs 3 extra bags. I remember her shopping in Amalfi.

:D Shopping & eating to me are a very big part of any cruise or land holiday. I come home with some unbelievable things. Some little some big, some expensive some cheap. Just wish I did not have 8 months until my next cruise. Still hoping to find a cheap cruise to do between now & May 7th. Shame I live so far away - just makes the cruise so expensive, Maybe "O" might bring out some "NO" single supplement cruises soon or I might have to cruise on another line for my in between vacation.

Edited by rhohea

I remember the lunch very well. Bob and I had the crepes and the rest of you had pasta of some sort. yummy. Beautiful town as well with interesting shops. Between our summer home and our permanent home we have mementos from our travels. Some of the mementos are from before I met my husband, but he had been to those countries at different times to what I had been so they bring back different memories for him. Now we are starting to take some of his pictures and having them put on canvas. Makes for great conversations when we entertain.:D

Now we are starting to take some of his pictures and having them put on canvas. Makes for great conversations when we entertain.:D

That sounds like a great idea

We usually blow up some photos & frame then but having it put on canvas sounds great

Darn we just bought a canvas photo for over the fireplace & I could have just done one of ours for the same price :(

Thanks for the great idea

lyn

Edited by LHT28