Prinsendam, Is it worth it?

luvtwotrvl

The way I see it. The Prinsendam must be doing something right since this ship has the most repeat customers in all of the DAM fleet.

It does a lot of dam things right IMO. We're not going back for 30 days for no reason :) It's just this ship appeals to certain people and not others.

If you want a bit of the taste of the old days of cruising, some of the elegance, the crew knowing you, knowing what you drink, or whatever wherever you go, then expect to see it on this ship. :)

She's not for everyone. But she does have a LOT of fans.

What category do you want David? If you want verandah - 120 has a nice verandah.

I am a huge fan of the Prinsendam - I don't know if I would do her for a standard Caribbean cruise IF the same itinerary was available on another ship. We have chosen her for the other itineraries in Europe.

NOW, that being said, the ship is old, yes, she's the oldest in the fleet. The woodwork gleams, the metal gleams and IMO she has been well taken care of.

There is a certain ambience that you won't see on the other HAL ships as it is small and the crew are everywhere and get to know you quickly.

I would rather sail her than the N Amsterdam in all honesty because of everything that goes with her - but with this ship - you are either a fan or you are not.

I confess with Captain Gundersen now gone, it always gives cause for concern but she was well taken care of last time we were on but that was over a year ago.

<snip>

Not only did Captain Gunderson retire but so did one of Prinsendam's Hotel Directors, Firmin van Walle. He was first a Hotel Director on Prinsendam when she was Royal Viking Sun and he came full circle to retire off her as Prinsendam. :) We had the pleasure of sailing with him a great many times.

Edited by sail7seas

Can any of you Prinsendam fans tell me if the pools are easily accessible on the ship? I've been on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam and had no trouble, but was just on Carnival's Sunshine, and the ladders into the pool were too steep for me with my bad knee.

Mrs Walkinman

I never cruised on the P when Captain Gunderson was at the helm - but, I was on the ship last May when Firmin retired and we actually watched him leave the ship for the last time. We were docked in Zeebrugen and his wife came to pick him and his entourage of suitcases up. It was an amazing site - one that I will remember for a long time. Firmin is a true gentleman and he was a wonderful HD. I hope he is enjoying his retirement - apparently he will be cruising - as a passenger!!

Can any of you Prinsendam fans tell me if the pools are easily accessible on the ship? I've been on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam and had no trouble, but was just on Carnival's Sunshine, and the ladders into the pool were too steep for me with my bad knee.

Mrs Walkinman

I haven't been on Carnival's Sunshine to compare. I can tell you that people of all ages were going in the pool, so I don't think it is an issue.

On our 1st TA they were doing acquasize in it and it was aimed at people with mobility issues. They seemed to get in and out quite well.

I never cruised on the P when Captain Gunderson was at the helm - but, I was on the ship last May when Firmin retired and we actually watched him leave the ship for the last time. We were docked in Zeebrugen and his wife came to pick him and his entourage of suitcases up. It was an amazing site - one that I will remember for a long time. Firmin is a true gentleman and he was a wonderful HD. I hope he is enjoying his retirement - apparently he will be cruising - as a passenger!!

He's probably spending a lot of time cooking, his first profession and passion ;)