Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

2 hours ago, oceandream said:

Anyone who sailed on massdam from Holland and can provide an update on sauna facilities ? I know that they have spa but wondering if free sauna is still available in the men’s locker or near ?

Ummm… the Massdam is no longer in the Holland fleet… I had to check the website, because I thought it was long gone; your inquiry made me question myself.

Are you thinking a different HAL ship?

56 minutes ago, oceandream said:

Sorry my mistake. my apologies. I should have mention: Zaandam. if you know, please reply.

Zaandam I can help with… there is no sauna in the change room.  It is outside the changeroom about 8-10 feet down a public hallway that has several treatment rooms and the gym much further down at the end.  Once you enter from the hall into the sauna area, there is a very small vestibule (6x9?) with a water fountain, and a couple of hooks and the door to the sauna; it is very brightly lit.  I usually was just in my swim shorts and coverup shirt; bright a towel from the change room.  I would kick off my sandals and hang up my shirt on the hook and then drop my shorts once in the sauna as there was no hiding if someone opened up the hallway door when you were in the vestibule.

Take note, the height of the sauna door is a bit low and this 6’2 guy banged his head more then once over the 12 days.  The sauna is a decent size, very easily seat 4, but could get 8 in shoulder to shoulder.  The sauna door has a small window to the vestibule and the sauna itself is is fairly dimly lit with the light from the window being the primary light source.

Had a few interesting chats with a couple of guys over my last January trip, but more often than not it was very quiet.  It could be more to do with timing as I am mostly an early morning sauna-er.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 11:40 PM, Mermen said:

So sorry to hear this…you’ll have to let us know how it was. Have fun on your upcoming cruise! We sailed Summit in the past and enjoyed our time. The old sauna was amazing as well.  It looks like we’re neighbors as well! 

As of a few weeks ago infinity had the original sauna set up. If you look at the current deck plan it does not show any cabins forward on 10

• Like 1

I should also add to my last sentiments a few weeks ago - the Oceania Riviera was probably the first cruise ship I've been on that has a truly working steam room, where when it kicks on you quite literally cannot see anything 3 ft past your face because it's so steamy . All of the Royal Caribbean and carnival ships I've been on have had crazy hot steam rooms that are humid but barely have any steam at all. Has anyone else found truly good steam rooms aside from the other factors?

43 minutes ago, bejwee said:

I should also add to my last sentiments a few weeks ago - the Oceania Riviera was probably the first cruise ship I've been on that has a truly working steam room, where when it kicks on you quite literally cannot see anything 3 ft past your face because it's so steamy . All of the Royal Caribbean and carnival ships I've been on have had crazy hot steam rooms that are humid but barely have any steam at all. Has anyone else found truly good steam rooms aside from the other factors?

On the Oceania Insignia in September, first time with this line and looking forward to the steam room. Hope it is as good as you experienced on Riviera.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iramack said:

I am on Riviera for 2 weeks this September.  Trying Oceania for the first time mostly based on the recent comments/recommendations here!

I cruised oceania in September and most recently this past April and two other times prior. Every single time the staff is awesome. The quality of the food is definitely a step up, and the clientele is a little bit older and relatively quieter than lines like Royal Caribbean etc. I appreciate being able to sleep at night without drunken ruckus in the hallway, and the ratio of cruisers that know not to let their door slam shut compared to the inconsiderate folks who do, is much better on Oceania. It's even in the newsletter on the first day, don't let your door slam!  You'll have a great time!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bejwee said:

I cruised oceania in September and most recently this past April and two other times prior. Every single time the staff is awesome. The quality of the food is definitely a step up, and the clientele is a little bit older and relatively quieter than lines like Royal Caribbean etc. I appreciate being able to sleep at night without drunken ruckus in the hallway, and the ratio of cruisers that know not to let their door slam shut compared to the inconsiderate folks who do, is much better on Oceania. It's even in the newsletter on the first day, don't let your door slam!  You'll have a great time!

Thanks for that.  Most recently I have been cruising Seabourn so I am quite familiar with this type of cruising/passengers/food etc..........My first cruise was in the Caribbean on the Carla Costa in 1982 maybe?  Done most of the mainstream lines but find the small ships so much more enjoyable so long as they have the "correct" spa facilities on board!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iramack said:

Thanks for that.  Most recently I have been cruising Seabourn so I am quite familiar with this type of cruising/passengers/food etc..........My first cruise was in the Caribbean on the Carla Costa in 1982 maybe?  Done most of the mainstream lines but find the small ships so much more enjoyable so long as they have the "correct" spa facilities on board!! 

You'll love it. We are trying silversea for the first time this coming August cruising through Norway which should be fun. 

Just now, bejwee said:

You'll love it. We are trying silversea for the first time this coming August cruising through Norway which should be fun. 

Yes! our last cruise was July 2022 on Seabourn Ovation Norwegian Fjords. Fantastic trip with sights you can not imagine!! That is where my profile pic comes from!  You will really enjoy it!!

• Like 1

Just back from the Disney Dream transatlantic cruise, my goodness the conversations had in the steam room we’re very informative, great to understand life experience from guys all over the world 

IMG_7151.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, happytraveller said:

On Royal Princess in April next year for 3 weeks, is there a male only steam or sauna on board?

I don't think so but check the spreadsheet here in this section....................wait, just checked and it's a definite NO  I would change ships if that is important to you.

3 hours ago, iramack said:

I don't think so but check the spreadsheet here in this section....................wait, just checked and it's a definite NO  I would change ships if that is important to you.

Can confirm that there is no steam or sauna only co ed spa.

They took the free steam and sauna out of the men's changing room on Emerald Princess which was very disappointing and we would have canceled the cruise if we had known.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, happytraveller said:

On Royal Princess in April next year for 3 weeks, is there a male only steam or sauna on board?

We were on Regal Princess a few weeks ago and I think the set up is the same.

Poor Gym set up and small locker room with no steam or sauna in there.

Co ed sauna available in spa for a fee but to my mind really not worth the charge.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:53 PM, iramack said:
On 5/27/2023 at 3:50 PM, happytraveller said:

Another way of checking whether a ship has a male only steam room or sauna is to Google the ship's deck plan. This isn't foolproof. The smaller Holland American ships sometimes don't label it as such and if there has been a recent refurbishing of a ship  the deck plans don't always reflect changes affecting the steam and sauna rooms.

3 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Anyone recently on the Crown Princess know if there are still separate facilities? I see the spreadsheet says there is, but not sure how recently that was updated. Sailing on her (and Princess) for the first time in a few weeks!

The deck plan still shows that there are two areas on deck 16 (men+women) but the site has a disclaimer that the plans are subject to change..............I would call and verify as Princess has been pulling them out left, right, and center!!  😞

• 2 weeks later...