Just off the Marina

Nicho99

Thanks Nicho! But I may have to repack now :(.... I was thinking we'll have mostly 60-65 degree weather with no pool time. Well, regardless, I'm very much looking forward to it. Glad you had a great time. Welcome home (although maybe you'd still rather be cruising!)

Dave

Just back from the Marina on a Baltic cruise. The following must be considered as only my opinions. Others have different opinions and everyone is entitled to a voice of their own.

The all important food: We had 2 good meals, 3 very good meals and all the others were excellent out of 36. We were on a 12 day cruise so that is an 86% percent rate on excellent. After many cruises on Crystal, Regent and Seabourn, not a bad percentage. My only issue is the number of times you can dine in their specialty restaurants but that is a capacity issue not a slam on Oceania. Simply put, they compete or exceed anything at sea and many on land.

Another important category: Cocktails and wine. We did not opt for any beverage package. In reality, few do. I asked a wine steward how many do. He stated that unless it was sold along with the cruise (which I was led to believe, is often in the UK) only 30 or 40 per cruise. Be warned that unless you are on a beverage package, the pours on wine are around 5 per bottle and the cocktails are a miniscule 1 ½ ounces. I personally saw the pours from the bartenders and questioned them on it and even they were embarrassed by their own system. That barely fills a quarter of a cocktail glass. And at 9.50+ USD, you feel a little abused. Having said that, we bought alcohol on shore and enjoyed our own happy hour in our cabin. The captain’s cocktail hour is one of the most generous at sea. It starts at 6:30pm until 8pm. Only the most expensive single malts and brandies are excluded. At that event, no shot glasses were used!

The staterooms: You get more for your money on Oceania. Apples to apples, bigger staterooms for the money. We were in a category B3. A 282 square foot balcony stateroom that was very clever in their storage space and general layout. Bathrooms were more than adequate. We both are shower folks and I know they would get serious complaints if they did not include a tub (with an additional shower, I might add) but what a shame to waste all that space for non use.

Entertainment and enrichment: If this is an important part of any decision you make on whether or not Oceania is a good fit, I would recommend you book elsewhere. When the best show by far was put on by the cruise director, in this case a very capable Ray Michaels, you probably get my point. I personally talked to a dancer who has auditioned for a couple of years in New York and this was her only offer for work. No knock on her, she was delightful to talk to, but it does tell a story. Enrichment on our cruise was one gentleman who was knowledgeable but lacked the ability to really keep you awake for his next word. Again, only my opinion.

My last note will be on the beauty of the ship. My, how can anyone complain. Millions have been spent on her furnishings and artwork. I do not know how it could have been done better.

Would I sail on her again. In a New York minute. I would consider the itinerary but the positives far out weigh any so called negatives

I was also on the same Baltic's cruise ,I agree with all your comments except your meals in the MDR.

We had breakfast on the first morning after a long wait it went back because it was cold !!moved to the terrace café after that,

We had one more evening meal in the MDR it was cold and maybe we were unlucky it went back,I would not eat there again on the cruise.

This was my only gripe on a perfect cruise.