Young teen in interior room

Boater Burns

If a teenager shouldn't have a cabin to herself at 17 in case she's raped, then what about a solo 25 year old? Unless you think all potential rapists either are not interested in women over 17, or else feel themselves incapable of handling a woman over 17, then the age (for this particular objection) is irrelevant.

Would you let a 17-year-old have a bedroom to herself at home? Rape in the home is significantly more common than rape in a cabin at sea.

I'm quite sure a 25 year old is better equipped to decide whether to allow someone into her room. Similarly, a 25 year old is more likely to be able to fend off unwanted advances in a more assertive way, and a 25-year old is less likely to be fooled into cooperation through alcohol.

I question the validity of the at-home vs. at sea rape figures. Too many variables. In-home rapes would likely be incestuous or date-rapes. And I'd wonder how many at sea rapes are not reported. Too many variables.

I'm quite sure a 25 year old is better equipped to decide whether to allow someone into her room.

A 17 year old doesn't have a decision to make. The 17 year old has already been told "there are no circumstances when you allow anyone into your room". One hopes.

A 17 year old doesn't have a decision to make. The 17 year old has already been told "there are no circumstances when you allow anyone into your room". One hopes.

One hopes she's been told that. One further hopes that she abides by it. But on vacation, in a beautiful setting, with a lot of new people around, and maybe (hopefully not, but you never know) some alcohol...who knows?