Young teen in interior room

Boater Burns

Our granddaughter wants to go on a cruise with us. However she wants an interior to herself. Will cruise lines allow a 17 yr old in a cabin by herself? ( I know we will have to pay double.). Interior will be across hall from ours.

Edited by Boater Burns

You can't book her in there by herself; she is too young. You could book one adult into each cabin and then switch key cards. Or you could look into a small suite or something. If you are going to have to pay double for her to accommodate her wishes, it might be worth considering other options...like the sofa bed in your cabin, or having her pay her own (double) way, or a mini-suite with a somewhat-separate living area.

Most cruise lines will not allow someone that young in a cabin alone. You could of course book her with her grandmother and her grandfather alone in the single - and then switch --- assuming, however that you think it a good idea: perhaps asking yourself why the lines do not think so.

Depending on a cruise line, she will be allowed to be on her own if her cabin is next to yours, or directly across.

If not, the grandpa will be in one cabin, grandma and granddaughter in another - as far as reservation is concerned. Upon check-in grandpa gets an additional key card for his cabin. Problem solved.

I see this as a two-fold issue.

First, can you? You can always switch keys once on board.

Second, should you? that really depends on the child. How mature is she? Does she have street smarts? A typical 17 year old who grew up in NYC is going to have a lot more street smarts than a typical 17 year old who grew up on a farm in the mid-west and has never been to a city with more than 15,000 people by herself.

Also keep in mind that a lot of "good" kids seem to lose their minds the first time they are given freedoms while on vacation.

If she's been taking public transit and given a lot of freedom over the past few years and has kept her nose clean, she's probably mature and street smart enough to be in her own room. If she's had very few life experiences and exposure to the world where she has needed to make daily choices without supervision that go beyond what to have for lunch in the school cafeteria or which pj's to put on the kid down the street that she babysits on Friday nights, I see it as a bad idea.

At 17, there shouldn't be a problem IF she's close to your cabin and you can check in on her....at least, that's what I'd do! Trust, but verify! I wouldn't have her too far away...maybe across the hall....

I understand why she wouldn't want to "room" with you, unless you are booking a larger suite....

I won't even go into the risk/responsibility issues. That's between you and your daughter . . .

However, I would suggest that you look into two adjoining/connecting cabins, a family cabin or, a two bedroom suite.

Edited by Calgon1

Our granddaughter wants to go on a cruise with us. However she wants an interior to herself. Will cruise lines allow a 17 yr old in a cabin by herself? ( I know we will have to pay double.). Interior will be across hall from ours.

Not a good idea even if the cruise line allows it as it sounds that the teen may have decided a separate room to themselves was a way of dodging any curfew accountability. Remember there's nothing stopping her from leaving the cabin after you think she's already in for the night. She's less likely to do that when in the same cabin with you. You are ultimately responsible for your granddaughters actions on board actions.

Connecting rooms would be the better option and require that the connecting door be open at all times.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I always find the idea of a 17 year old not being able to go on holiday alone or have their own cabin on a ship odd.

I'd left home by the age of 16, got my own place, a job and went on holidays. Maybe I was more grown up than most but I can't imagine being told back then that I couldn't do something

Kids go to college at18... It is time to sleep in your own room. Girls need to be smart about their safety - they won't have a curfew when they move out to college. Please teach your daughters and granddaughters how to be safe and take them out of the bubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you as Grandparents are naive, Young girls are always targets on board Especially one with a private cabin.. How would you feel if any incidents happen on your watch? I speak from experience when I was young.

Most cruise lines will not allow someone that young in a cabin alone. You could of course book her with her grandmother and her grandfather alone in the single - and then switch --- assuming, however that you think it a good idea: perhaps asking yourself why the lines do not think so.

That's an easy question. The cruise line knows that some 17 year olds can be trusted, others can't, and has no information on which to make a judgement of this particular 17 year old. The OP, on the other hand, does have further information and so can make a particular judgement.

The child is 17. She'll be fine in her own cabin. Soon, she'll be away at college. :)

LuLu

Unless she ends up raped by a crew member or other passenger who decided to take full advantage of the situation. Sorry but I would be VERY leery about letting any teenager have a cabin to themselves under any circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unless she ends up raped by a crew member or other passenger who decided to take full advantage of the situation. Sorry but I would be VERY leery about letting any teenager have a cabin to themselves under any circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If a teenager shouldn't have a cabin to herself at 17 in case she's raped, then what about a solo 25 year old? Unless you think all potential rapists either are not interested in women over 17, or else feel themselves incapable of handling a woman over 17, then the age (for this particular objection) is irrelevant.

Would you let a 17-year-old have a bedroom to herself at home? Rape in the home is significantly more common than rape in a cabin at sea.

I think some of you are assuming the worst. As previously mentioned in a year she could be leaving to live away at college where she could be in much more danger. At what age does it stop being a risk? Is it like a switch? I know many people in their 20's who are more naive then some teenagers. A woman at any age could be attacked. Considering the number of people on cruises each day the figure of these incidents are pretty low... I bet colleges etc have much higher numbers. At 17 you don't want to share a room, you want privacy etc to get changed... It's not that she wants to sneak out just not to be treated as a child.

I think some of you are assuming the worst. As previously mentioned in a year she could be leaving to live away at college where she could be in much more danger. At what age does it stop being a risk? Is it like a switch? I know many people in their 20's who are more naive then some teenagers. A woman at any age could be attacked. Considering the number of people on cruises each day the figure of these incidents are pretty low... I bet colleges etc have much higher numbers. At 17 you don't want to share a room, you want privacy etc to get changed... It's not that she wants to sneak out just not to be treated as a child.

This is why I suggested that it really depends on the maturity of the teen and her life experiences. Some 17 year olds will be fine, some will not for any number of reasons.

There should just be rules...

1. Nobody else is allowed in cabin.

2. Don't tell anyone cabin number.

3. If feel like you are being watched or followed go to a public place and ask for help.

If affordable then adjoining cabins would be a compromise

I trust my 17-year old daughter, but I don't trust the other teens on board! And I don't trust that she won't make a naïve mistake and allow that really, really nice person she's just met into her cabin. I know from experience she feels social pressure to "go along with the crowd" and do things that she wouldn't think up on her own.

The "she'll go away to college in a year" argument doesn't hold water:

- When she goes to college, she'll have several "safety nets": A roommate, an RA, and dorm rules. During Welcome Week she'll receive messages about common sense and safety from multiple groups. In contrast, in a room by herself onboard, she'll have none of this.

- I knew LOTS of freshman girls -- I'd say more than half -- who made big, big errors in judgement and showed they weren't really ready for that much freedom. One of my daughter's dorm mates managed to lose her ID and flush her room key down the toilet within an hour of her parents' departure. In my own dorm years ago, I knew several girls who let a boy they barely knew into their room and ended up being victims of date rape -- and I knew MANY girls who came close to it and learned a lesson.

- And for a teen another year of maturity is a huge. I'm often shocked when I see my former students shortly after graduation. They grow up so fast once they're really out on their own.