Organising Shore excursions privately in South Pacific?

Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions for organising shore excursions ourselves for Noumea, Vila and Luganville? We have been on a cruise here before, our first, and last time only organised the waterfall abseil in Vila through RCI.

We aren't going until Jan 2015 and I am open to any suggestions regarding excursions and any companies we could book though.

When getting off the ship we like to do "active" activities and enjoying the water.

Thanks!

How about Kayaking. we did this in January on Vila had a great time. and not expensive. Island Time Kayaking was the name of the company. We are both in are 50's and it was not hard work in my view. you paddle straight past the ship and stop for a snorkel if you want.

in Villa we just hired a cab, and did our own thing for the day. loved the poking about and sticky beaky opportunities. we decided we would like to see a village / traditional ways of living, and our taxi man organized an impromptu visit to a village. We had our own dance display (hubs invited to join in) saw the kava growing and the chief talked to us about their traditional plants. :) Loved the opportunity, and our own private welcome!

we also went to the museum, saw the sand drawings and climbed swam in the waterfall. great day!

In Noumea there were plenty of tours available at the cruise ship terminal. The ship we were on (Radiance of the Seas) docked at a working port but there were free shuttle buses to and from the terminal.

When we visited Port Villa we did two excursions booked through the ship. A glass bottom boat which included snorkelling - DW's first snorkelling experience, and in the afternoon we drove off road buggies. We're in our early 40s and were the oldest in the group. It was an absolute blast and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tips everyone!

We have been to Vila before and I can't stand the haggling aspect, after living in China for a while I mostly can not be bothered with this. We have also been to Noumea and are looking for something unusual to do there, no idea what, which is no help to anyone.

If anyone has one recommendation/must do for something to do in these areas I am still open to sugestions

Will definitely look into kayaking and off-road buggies.

Also I am interested in the President Coolidge near Luganville, is there anyway to see even part of it without diving it?

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Also I am interested in the President Coolidge near Luganville, is there anyway to see even part of it without diving it?

No part of the ship is visible above the surface. It rests rests on her port side with her bow at a depth of 21 metres (69 ft) and her stern at 73 metres (240 ft)

Edited by By The Bay

• 4 weeks later...
What do you do with your valuables when visiting the Waterfalls? Is there somewhere to store them? :confused:

When we abseiled the waterfalls the company said to leave our stuff in the van and they would lock until we were all done and could collect our stuff to change. Had no problem with this.

We saw other people just swimming and they just had it left on a rock nearby where they could see it.

We used Atmospheric tours and they were great in Vila. :) We did a circle tour around the island and stopped at a village and the blue hole to swim. Lunch and snacks were included and the host was a blast. They even stopped on the way back so we could do some duty free shopping on the way to the ship.

http://www.atmosphere-vanuatu.com

When we abseiled the waterfalls the company said to leave our stuff in the van and they would lock until we were all done and could collect our stuff to change. Had no problem with this.

We saw other people just swimming and they just had it left on a rock nearby where they could see it.

Hi tiger. We didn't really have any with us. Just some money the camera and a key card really. I paddled in the icy water & hubs took pics etc. the waterfall is lovely & a hike. Wear sensible shoes that can get wet, ie on slippery wet rocks. It is pretty puffy in places! Take some water to drink. :)

Hi Tiger5687,

We used Gateway tours in Noumea, and friends used them in Port Vila also.

Genivieve and Alfred are fantastic, very accomodating. their website has a great range of tours they offer, but they are also happy to tailor something for you also.

we are sailing again in 2016 and plan to use them again.

Cheers maree

Hi Tiger5687,

We used Gateway tours in Noumea, and friends used them in Port Vila also.

Genivieve and Alfred are fantastic, very accomodating. their website has a great range of tours they offer, but they are also happy to tailor something for you also.

we are sailing again in 2016 and plan to use them again.

Cheers maree

Thanks Maree! Do you know if they have a website? I tried google and can see them on tripadvisor but can't find a website.

We used Atmospheric tours and they were great in Vila. :) We did a circle tour around the island and stopped at a village and the blue hole to swim. Lunch and snacks were included and the host was a blast. They even stopped on the way back so we could do some duty free shopping on the way to the ship.

http://www.atmosphere-vanuatu.com

We also used Atmosphere tours. We loved it, had so much fun. We went to the village, the blue lagoon, had lunch at a resort and to the cascades. Plus, like silverwillow said they stop to take you duty free shopping.

In noumea there are two tour groups in the terminal. Try to go in the back way as there are a heap of people that try to lead you away to their tour. It can get very confusing and you may pick something your not happy with (which is what we did). There is the hop on hop off bus which you can use too.

Sorry tiger :o, my comments were for "By the Bay", I see you have also been there already!

By the Bay, the area at the top is all very close to each other. It is safe to leave basics on the ground & you paddle about. It is not like a beach where you go out into the ocean a distance away from your gear. There are lots of little rock pools everywhere. It is worth the effort.:)

Hi tuger5687! What my husband and I do is, when we get off the ship we usually see if any other cruisers want to join us on a tour and we arrange with a taxi driver how much each and where he will take us. Or, in places such as Noumea, we either walk about the town ourselves or catch the public buses to the beach! We find this much cheaper than pre booked tours before you sail! Hope this helps!!😎😎😎😎

Hi tuger5687! What my husband and I do is, when we get off the ship we usually see if any other cruisers want to join us on a tour and we arrange with a taxi driver how much each and where he will take us. Or, in places such as Noumea, we either walk about the town ourselves or catch the public buses to the beach! We find this much cheaper than pre booked tours before you sail! Hope this helps!!😎😎😎😎

In Noumea (as has been mentioned earlier) there are tours available in the terminal. The public bus to the beach is an option, but of course you need local currency (XPF).

In Vila, there are so many taxi drivers vying for business, you really need to know where you want to go. For $70 AUD you can have a tour lasting several hours. That price is for the taxi (often seats 6) not per person.