Is The AFT really the best

Jimino

Some love them, some hate them. We love them.

Depending on the ship and propulsion system there can be slight to large vibrations. The ships with the Azipods seem to have more vibration than those with propellors.

You'll be right above the side thrusters. Interesting way to wake up in the morning.

It doesn't matter which hallway you choose ;).

We totally enjoy staying in Aft cabins because the balconies are bigger. The only time we felt there wasn't much of a breeze is when your docked in a port. Never felt it was too hot to not use the balcony. Would book an aft cabin again in a heartbeat.

There are aft cabins on other RCI ships (Voyager and Freedom class) that you can easily have 20+ people on your balcony without it feeling crowded.

We were able to use our large sheltered stern-facing balcony when wind or rain or both precluded the use of balconies on the sides.

But LIGC's experience was different. Different ship, different precise location.

Downsides include a fair hike to get anywhere - usually no elevators & often no stairs at the stern.

And although you have a wider view, it's of where you've been. No idea whether you're anywhere near the port. Or whether the brakes (?) have failed & you're about to sail up the main street :D

Also theoretically a poor location for heavy weather, though ours was a big ship & handled poor seas very well.

JB :)

I love looking at the wake, so an aft balcony is wonderful for me. However, there is more motion, so it may be a problem for those prone to seasickness. Once we had a very far forward balcony, and were able to watch dolphins riding the bow wave. So there are good points for all locations!

Edited by lisiamc

While the aft balconies are deeper than those on the side, I HATE the long walk! I tend to go back and forth to the cabin a lot during the daytime, and that walk gets old REAL fast! Since there's only 2 of us, a standard balcony is fine for our uses. Now, if we were hosting a party or something, that larger balcony would rock.

Please tell me if the AFT is a Better room and Why. Does the AFT cut off the Breeze so it gets to hot to use balcony? Please help RCL Jewel of the Sea

Depends on whether you like long walks :D That's in answer to your heading..sorry can't help re the breeze.

Edited by blackpool belle

It really depends on the ship.

Overhang: HAL's Westerdam/Oosterdam, many of the aft balconies aren't covered from the elements (which is nice for views) while most side balconies are covered (which is nice for privacy and protection from rain). However, some Princess ships, for example, have fully exposed side balconies (I've never been in an aft Princess balcony so don't know).

Views: Aft balconies are great for scenic cruising. You not only get to see the views from both sides of the ship, but you get to see them after everyone else so you've got a better chance of spotting that elusive bear on the shore or pod of orcas in the water.

Smoke: Aft balconies can be a problem if you're on a line that allows verandah smoking because you are setting yourself up for the fresh ocean scent being drowned out by smoke that just seems to "hang" there, even if the ship is moving. Of course, if you're a smoker, and you choose to smoke on the balcony, you'll be hearing your neighbors yell inside to their cabinmates, "we can't go out right now; they're smoking again!" It's a lose-lose. (full disclosure: I don't smoke)

Schlep: On most ships, you'll be just a short elevator trip to the MDR, so you won't be walking too far in your fancy shoes or if you're running late to your dining time. However, if you want to go to the spa, gym or theater, you'll be making a very long trek. Then again, the ends of the ship seem quieter and, really, it's not that much of a walk to just go down the hall.

Cabin Steward Quality: Many aft corner cabins are suites, so if you're in one of those or "just" in a regular balcony room, you'll probably have some of best service.

Edited by DesertPesce7751

It really depends on the ship.

Overhang: HAL's Westerdam/Oosterdam, many of the aft balconies aren't covered from the elements (which is nice for views) while most side balconies are covered (which is nice for privacy and protection from rain). However, some Princess ships, for example, have fully exposed side balconies (I've never been in an aft Princess balcony so don't know).

Views: Aft balconies are great for scenic cruising. You not only get to see the views from both sides of the ship, but you get to see them after everyone else so you've got a better chance of spotting that elusive bear on the shore or pod of orcas in the water.

Smoke: Aft balconies can be a problem if you're on a line that allows verandah smoking because you are setting yourself up for the fresh ocean scent being drowned out by smoke that just seems to "hang" there, even if the ship is moving. Of course, if you're a smoker, and you choose to smoke on the balcony, you'll be hearing your neighbors yell inside to their cabinmates, "we can't go out right now; they're smoking again!" It's a lose-lose. (full disclosure: I don't smoke)

Schlep: On most ships, you'll be just a short elevator trip to the MDR, so you won't be walking too far in your fancy shoes or if you're running late to your dining time. However, if you want to go to the spa, gym or theater, you'll be making a very long trek. Then again, the ends of the ship seem quieter and, really, it's not that much of a walk to just go down the hall.

Cabin Steward Quality: Many aft corner cabins are suites, so if you're in one of those or "just" in a regular balcony room, you'll probably have some of best service.

I have cruised in Suites and regular balcony cabins, and in oceanviews. The cabin service is the same in each. It likely depends on how you treat your cabin steward.:rolleyes:

[/b]

I have cruised in Suites and regular balcony cabins, and in oceanviews. The cabin service is the same in each. It likely depends on how you treat your cabin steward.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We, too, have been in a variety of cabins: suites, mini-suites, balconies, oceanviews, and insides.

We found that the stewards are more relaxed when some of their rooms are suites because the butlers take some of the burden off--not with cleaning, but with running around fetching things for the needier passengers. For example, some of our best service was on one last-minute cruise when we were in an inside room on the "suite floor." Regardless, I'd hope that any decent human being would treat their cabin steward well (we certainly do)--I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

Edited by DesertPesce7751

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We found that the stewards are more relaxed when some of their rooms are suites because the butlers take some of the burden off--not with cleaning, but with running around fetching things for the needier passengers. For example, some of our best service was on one last-minute cruise when we were in an inside room on the "suite floor." Regardless, I'd hope that any decent human being would treat their cabin steward well (we certainly do)--I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

Guess I am on the wrong ships. No butlers for the Neptune Suites on HAL. Just excellent room stewards.

Guess I am on the wrong ships. No butlers for the Neptune Suites on HAL. Just excellent room stewards.

Aren't those Neptune suites lovely? We truly enjoyed ours in Alaska. The concierge in the private lounge serves a similar function to the butlers on Celebrity. toMAYto, toMAHto. ;)

If you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony, the extra cost of an aft balcony can be worth it. Several years ago, my DM and I were taking a port intensive Southern Caribbean cruise, but one night we sat out by the railing to watch the stars as we sailed to the next port only to discover when we went indoors that we had numerous spots of soot from the stack on our clothes. They cleaned our affected clothes for free, but we didn't sit out by the railing while sailing after that. Fortunately with such a big balcony, it wasn't a big deal.

Aren't those Neptune suites lovely? We truly enjoyed ours in Alaska. The concierge in the private lounge serves a similar function to the butlers on Celebrity. toMAYto, toMAHto. ;)

Ah I see, so one (maybe two) butler services all the suites. Got it.

We will be on FOS in Nov. Haven't cruised in 18 yrs. I asked the TA for a room close to the elevators due to a knee problem, we have a superior balcony on level nine right by the elevators. It's right by where the cantilevered hot tubs come out.

Any comments? Sorry if that's confusing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Thank you for all your help the walk part I fine with me Just the heat or no cover would get to me

It really depends on the ship. We were on Celebrity's Summit and about 1/3 of the deck was covered and the rest was open. See if you can find some photos of the aft of the ship that you are considering.

While the aft balconies are deeper than those on the side, I HATE the long walk! I tend to go back and forth to the cabin a lot during the daytime, and that walk gets old REAL fast! Since there's only 2 of us, a standard balcony is fine for our uses. Now, if we were hosting a party or something, that larger balcony would rock.

Ditto.

We were so excited to get an aft wrap on our last cruise. The balcony was HUGE and the room was quite big as well. However, the amount of walking we did was INSANE. We will never get an aft on a large(over 1500 pass) ship again.