Alaska

CruzLover80

We are booked on the Sun for Alaska... can't wait!!! So for my past fellow NCL Alaska cruisers... when did you find was the best time to book your airfare? We are traveling from Florida, so we need to have a little plan. We have never had to fly to cruise, so this will definitely be new to us.

We are booked on the Sun for Alaska... can't wait!!! So for my past fellow NCL Alaska cruisers... when did you find was the best time to book your airfare? We are traveling from Florida, so we need to have a little plan. We have never had to fly to cruise, so this will definitely be new to us.

We are also doing the same cruise from Seward to Vancouver in 2015. We have started already looking at flights because the flights will be very expensive considering that you have to fly into Anchorage and depart from Vancouver. Currently we are looking at purchasing a round-trip to Seattle and taking Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Anchorage. We are then going to take the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle.

Good luck planning.

We are also doing the same cruise from Seward to Vancouver in 2015. We have started already looking at flights because the flights will be very expensive considering that you have to fly into Anchorage and depart from Vancouver. Currently we are looking at purchasing a round-trip to Seattle and taking Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Anchorage. We are then going to take the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle.

Good luck planning.

We are in reverse, LOL. Embarking from Vancouver and disembarking in Seward. Right now, our plan is to fly into Seattle from Fort Lauderdale (direct flight, woo-hoo), Amtrak up to Vancouver and fly back from Anchorage. Prices are just under $500 but being the shopper that I am, I want it cheaper, LOL. Just trying to figure out when is the best time to book flights to Alaska.

If you have a travel agent that you have a good rapport with, he/she can give you tips, as well as looking out for you. They have access to some things that I don't think we (the public) can see much, if at all.

You will love Alaska! We've cruised there many times. Enjoy!

We are going next June and I have already booked our flights. I have been keeping an eye on Alaska flights for months to see what the average price is so I had a number in my head of what I was looking for. I told myself if they go under XXX amount I will jump on it, or book 6 months out. Well we got lucky and the prices went down for like 2 days, so I booked them. Even if they go down even further, I feel better knowing I have tickets locked in and that I paid a reasonable price for them.

I go to California regularly every July and the last few years I've discovered the deals usually just after Christmas for July flights. I would suggest keep checking but then really check just after Christmas

Multi destinations aren't usually more then a normal round trip - most airlines you can book as a multi destinations or have two one ways on different airlines

Alaska airlines does not charge extra for one way fares making it less expensive to book to ANC one way and from YVR the other way omitting the need to take a train from SEA to Vancouver. Their signature visa gives you a buy one get one for $119 each year along with a good chunk of air miles and first year fee waive for signing up. I always have great luck booking their award travel and they have good partner award travel availability too. Typically I find the best Alaska Airlines prices when they are first released.

Never having been on the west coast... we really want to see Seattle, that's one of the reasons we want to fly to Seattle. Plus right now the tickets to Vancouver are about $150. more per person.

And although the credit card sounds like a good deal. I do not purchase anything on credit. So that's not an option for me.

Edited by CruzLover80

.....and it was so good it turned me into a cruise addict.

My one bit of advice, or probably my preference, is if I was to do Alaska again, I would do the Southern route. Being from the east coast, I would much rather have the longer flight on the way there than on the way home. When I did it before, the flight was 6 hours to Vancouver but 10 hours from Anchorage with a stopover in Minneapolis for 1.5 hours.

:eek:

wasiii

I sort've didn't think about that. We want to spend some time in Seattle and thought that it would be better to do that as part of the first part of the leg. We figured by the time the cruise is over, we will be ready to go home. We were debating to spend a couple days in Anchorage, but may just be ready to get home.

I saw one flight that had a 23 hour layover :eek:. Uh... no thanks, I'll just fly the next day out.

I sort've didn't think about that. We want to spend some time in Seattle and thought that it would be better to do that as part of the first part of the leg. We figured by the time the cruise is over, we will be ready to go home. We were debating to spend a couple days in Anchorage, but may just be ready to get home.

I saw one flight that had a 23 hour layover :eek:. Uh... no thanks, I'll just fly the next day out.

.....roundtrip Seattle. We figure we have relatives out there and we would stop by to say hi.

:eek:

wasiii

As I stated on your other post. $500 is not out of line and actually a very good rate. The "best" rates are ALWAYS hindsight, there is no way to know, where the rates going to end up. So waiting, also needs acceptance of rising prices. I mentioned on the other post. Anchorage is a very high load city. In season, flights are close to 100% with high demand. If you aren't flexible, and need particular days, you likely will see an eventual rise in prices that won't come back down.

It is of significant benefit to add as many days as you can afford. Mainland Alaska is excellent for a wide range of wonderful activities. With being in Seward- even more of a "must" to stay and take advantage of being there.

Perhaps something to consider?

I can afford a couple days past disembarking date but that's about it. Like I said I'm comfortable with the under $500 price I was just hoping for cheaper. I guess that's not gonna happen. We are going to Alaska on a budget and do not want to bite more than we can afford. As I said we don't do anything on credit so every dollar is accounted for. I have never spent more than $200 to fly anywhere so it's a big pill to swallow.

I can afford a couple days past disembarking date but that's about it. Like I said I'm comfortable with the under $500 price I was just hoping for cheaper. I guess that's not gonna happen. We are going to Alaska on a budget and do not want to bite more than we can afford. As I said we don't do anything on credit so every dollar is accounted for. I have never spent more than $200 to fly anywhere so it's a big pill to swallow.

You're not going too far with most $200 flights. :)

Edited by Budget Queen