Advice on driving from Messina to Taromina

jdaa

We are considering renting a car in Messina and driving to Taromina and Castelmola. I'm wondering what the drive is really like. In older threads on this board, some posters say it's fine and others say they would never attempt it. I'm especially interested in the opinion of anyone who's made the drive in the past couple of years.

We're very comfortable with driving in general, but a little concerned about some of the previous reports.

I spent 10 days on the east coast of Sicily two years ago. Driving was a relative breeze, once out of the airport at Catania. The highway running north-south along the coast is as easy to navigate as any interstate in the US elsewhere in Europe. Getting to the Taormina exit is as easy as driving I-80. Once you reach the Taormina exits, however, things get a little more challenging. The issue is where to park the car. Taormina is approximately 1500 feet above sea level. You can drive to the very highest parts of the mountain on which Taormina exists, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are two parking garages on the level of Taormina itself, and you will regret it if you do not park in one or the other of them. Taormina is a must visit, and I would not let the challenge of the drive keep you from it. For me, it is far easier than driving in Boston. Mogulsmac

The drive between Messina and Taormina is pretty routine. However, the drive up to Castlelmola is a bit of an adventure...especially if you meet a bus on a sharp curb. Personally, we have no problem driving a rental car anywhere in Italy, and Sicily is pretty tame when compared to many areas on mainland Italy.

Hank

jdaa:

I would add that you must park in either parking garage just outside Taormina's main town and at Castelmola. The only parking is for residents, you will be ticketed if you do try to park in town. Since you are coming from Messina you would use the Lumbi car park. There are shuttles that take you up to the main town and drop you off, right outside Messina Gate. The parking garage for Castelmola is on the left hand side of the road about a 100 yds. from the main piazza in Castelmola. You leave the garage and walk up to Castelmola.

jdaa:

I would add that you must park in either parking garage just outside Taormina's main town and at Castelmola. The only parking is for residents, you will be ticketed if you do try to park in town. Since you are coming from Messina you would use the Lumbi car park. There are shuttles that take you up to the main town and drop you off, right outside Messina Gate. The parking garage for Castelmola is on the left hand side of the road about a 100 yds. from the main piazza in Castelmola. You leave the garage and walk up to Castelmola.

Castelmola is a must see. I believe there is a bus that runs there from Taormina.

Castelmola is a must see. I believe there is a bus that runs there from Taormina.

Yes, there is a bus (we have taken it) but it has pretty limited frequency (about once an hour). The bus leaves at the opposite side of the city from where the tour buses park. You have to go out the city entrance located not far from the Porta Messina. The bus stop is along the street (outside the walls) near a convenience store that sells the bus tickets. As Castelmola the bus stop is located in a parking lot below the city, which means folks need to do a lot of uphill walking (including steps) to get into the heart of the town. When we are I the region we love to go up to Castlemola pretty early in the day and sit at a café (with great view) with our Cappuccino. Getting there before 10am means we generally beat the tour buses..and sometimes have the town to ourselves.

Hank

The drive between Messina and Taormina is pretty routine. However, the drive up to Castlelmola is a bit of an adventure...especially if you meet a bus on a sharp curb. Personally, we have no problem driving a rental car anywhere in Italy, and Sicily is pretty tame when compared to many areas on mainland Italy.

Hank

We thought it was exactly the opposite. We got lost at Taormina and never could find our way to the parking lot. After going around a few times we said to heck with this; let's get out of here! So we carried on up the hill to Castelmola which we liked so much better than Taormina (which we saw on another cruise six months later). It was twisty driving, yes, but at least it was peaceful and lovely once we got there. The roads in Taormina were nuts! It was like being in Times Square in NYC. Too frenetic for us.

To the OP, it's a bit trying driving in and out of Messina because the traffic is heavy no matter what time of day. Give yourself plenty of time when you're heading back to the ship. We got back just in the nick of time because we didn't realize we'd be sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour. I kid you not. ONE HOUR to drive the last four miles. I thought my husband was going to have a heart attack thinking that we were going to miss the ship.

Driving from the outskirts of Messina to the outskirts (parking lot) at Taormina is straightforward if you keep to the highway. Have correct change for the toll booths. On the way back to Messina we decided to take the scenic coastal road and this was a huge mistake. Don't do it. The roads are narrow and congested and slow-going. Stop and go. Stop and go....:eek: This was the reason we were so late getting back into Messina and getting stuck in rush hour traffic. Skip the coast and stick to the highway!!! You'll save on a lot of stress.

There are some wonderful hill towns between Messina and Taormina and if you're driving you should take advantage and visit one or two. Forza d'Agro was charming and the views as well as the road up to the village were spectacular.

Yes, avoid SS 114, the coast road, it goes through all the small resort towns with many, many traffic lights and during the summer season heavy traffic.

You will take the A18 south to the Taormina exit, follow the signs for Taormina (the roads become small two lanes after the exit). There should be a toll collector at the booth and you will need no more than 5 Euro for the toll, each way. You will proceed up a winding, increasingly elevated road, about half way up, the road will be under a galleria, at the end of the galleria you will stop at a small circle, take the hard right to the parking garage, straight leads through the tunnel to the other side of Taormina and left takes you up to Taormina. If you want to drive up to Castelmola, make the left and continue up into town.

You cannot drive directly through town but have to bear right just outside Messina Gate onto Via Patricio then left onto Via Circonvallazione and continue to bear right Circonvallazione turns into Via Leonardo da Vinici. Via Leonardo goes all the up to Castelmola.