Is MSC for us?

llarsen

Hello,

We are in our 50's from So. California USA, have sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, and for the last 5 sailings only on Oceania.

We really like the Med itineraries of MSC, but are worried of the onboard experience.

We have never been on a ship where we did not find something we liked to eat, so although the food is outstanding on Oceania, it is not the most important thing to us.

Entertainment also is not of importance to us.

We enjoy the Oceania small ship experience with 684 - 1,250 passenger capacity, the ease of embarking/disembarking, the exclusion of ship photographers in your face or waiters pushing expensive drinks.

We tend to dress up, but enjoy the "country club casual" dress code, (not requiring jacket and tie) and free specialty restaurant dining.

I think our biggest worry is the larger ship passenger capacity. We are looking at the Divina.

What is it like with that many passengers?

Does it take forever to embark/disembark?

Are there lines of people making their way to get off the ship in port?

Also, we no not smoke and worry the rooms may smell of smoke even if smoking is not permitted. We seem to be more sensitive to odors than others, so while some may not notice this, I am wondering what the experience of other non smokers have had with this on a european cruise line, since many europeans smoke? (I appologize if this sounds offensive to smokers, that was not my intention)

Thank you very much for any input.

Hello,

We are in our 50's from So. California USA, have sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, and for the last 5 sailings only on Oceania.

We really like the Med itineraries of MSC, but are worried of the onboard experience.

We have never been on a ship where we did not find something we liked to eat, so although the food is outstanding on Oceania, it is not the most important thing to us.

Entertainment also is not of importance to us.

We enjoy the Oceania small ship experience with 684 - 1,250 passenger capacity, the ease of embarking/disembarking, the exclusion of ship photographers in your face or waiters pushing expensive drinks.

We tend to dress up, but enjoy the "country club casual" dress code, (not requiring jacket and tie) and free specialty restaurant dining.

I think our biggest worry is the larger ship passenger capacity. We are looking at the Divina.

What is it like with that many passengers?

Does it take forever to embark/disembark?

Are there lines of people making their way to get off the ship in port?

Also, we no not smoke and worry the rooms may smell of smoke even if smoking is not permitted. We seem to be more sensitive to odors than others, so while some may not notice this, I am wondering what the experience of other non smokers have had with this on a european cruise line, since many europeans smoke? (I appologize if this sounds offensive to smokers, that was not my intention)

Thank you very much for any input.

llarsen, I agree with Alex. We have sailed aboard Divina back in May, and will be sailing her again next week, both sailings in MSC's Yacht Club. If you're looking for some privacy away from the crowds aboard a ship of Divina's size,,The Yacht Club is definitely for you. Here are some of the amenities:

The value of having your own sanctuary at sea with inclusive luxury amenities is immeasurable. Our Fantasia-class ships offer an exclusive haven of luxurious suites with an opulent Concierge reception area, a private lounge, pool and bar area, plus a private restaurant and private access to the MSC Aurea Spa. MSC Yacht Club guests enjoy countless complimentary “extras” that aren’t extra at all – such as wines and spirits, signature Butler service and gourmet delights. Our luxurious enclave offers a private club ambiance with breathtaking views from the very front of the ship, and a wealth of valuable amenities included in your fare.

The sumptuous suites are located on the prestigious foredecks, with breathtaking views, arrayed around their own separate Concierge Reception, Top Sail Lounge, swimming pool and other elegant amenities served by an exclusive round-the-clock butler service.

The result is an exclusive private club ambiance simultaneously offering privilege access to the unsurpassed variety of sports and leisure facilities, children’s and adults’ entertainment, shops, restaurants, bars, music and dance venues of MSC Cruises flagships.

MSC Yacht Club Amenities & Inclusions

· 24-hour Butler service

· Concierge services round-the-clock

· Suite amenities which include:

o Fine wood finishes

o European king bed convertible to two single beds

o Memory foam mattress

o Egyptian cotton sheets

o Extensive pillow menu

o Walk-in closet with safe

o Marble bathrooms featuring tub with shower and hair dryer

o Courtesy use of luxury MSC Yacht Club bathrobes and slippers

o Complimentary en suite mini-bar

o 24-hour room service

o Television

o Nintendo Wii console

o Choice of daily newspaper in its original format

o Internet connection (fees apply)

o Direct-dial telephone (fees apply)

· Complimentary wines and spirits, beers, and soft drinks in all MSC Yacht Club venues

· Open-seating dining in private MSC Yacht Club restaurant (La Palmeraie aboard MSC Preziosa, Le Muse aboard MSC Divina, L’Olivo aboard MSC Splendida, L’Etoile aboard MSC Fantasia)

· The One Pool, Bar & Grill featuring a shaded swimming pool, spa baths, solarium and a superbly-stocked bar

· Top Sail Lounge, offering a varied selection of delicious complimentary drinks, gourmet delicacies and desserts throughout the day and night

· Direct private entrance to MSC Aurea Spa with massage and treatment rooms dedicated to MSC Yacht Club guests

· Select en suite spa services (fees apply)

· One complimentary thermal suite session (sauna & steam room)

· Private en suite & after-hours shopping

· Private shore excursions and chauffeur-driven guided tours with private photographer option (fees apply)

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Yacht-Club/MSC-YachtClubExclusiveVenuesServices.aspx

Edited by Mikesa1721

I'd agree with the others, if you like the small ship experience, and it is Divna you're considering, go for YC. Otherwise what about the smallest Lirica class? Not as small as the Oceania but less than half the size of the Divina. They tend to have more unusual itineraries in the Med.

The real question is, can you afford the Yacht Club ? (I do not expect you to answer! :D)

We can't, so enjoyed the normal experience all the same. Yes, there are many people, it is a 4.000 passengers ship. If you expect the ship to look like a smaller 700 people super luxury ship, and that is important to you, I don't think you will enjoy any MSC Fantasia class, or any big mass market ship for that matter.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

I kept wondering what the Yacht Club was (not listed in pricing on the cruise search engine I used), so I checked the MSC sight and found it.

It looks impressive, but I wouldn't want to spend that much since we are still saving for retirement and it is the itinerary that is most important to us.

We usually book inside cabins, although we have upgraded to Veranda on Oceania that last 2 cruises when an offer we could afford came through.

I think we will just have to try it and see for ourselves. The itineraries are wonderful!

Thanks again!

We sailed the Armonia this summer out of Venice. Most of the time we felt like we were on a very small ship! Hardly any waiting getting off at ports. We don't normally do ship excursions but the few we did on the Armonia were small groups and you were first off and last on (with no worries and the most time in port) Excursions are by language and since there are few English speakers on board you had a lovely small group!