New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hello

we've cruised a bit before but this will be our first time on HAL. We are due on Rotterdam out of Rome in 3 weeks time.

Are the electrical sockets in the cabin N. American, European (Northern or Southern), British or a mixture? We have an inside guaranteed cabin - probably next to the brig!

Is it advisable to bring a small extension lead (I believe it's called a power bar across the pond!) to recharge the camera, tablet, phone, blue-tooth speaker etc.?

Being Irish I am partial to a cup of tea in the morning so we take our PG Tips with us. Is there a kettle in the stateroom or do we bring a travel kettle? How readily available is fresh milk? I don't mind a stroll to collect it

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Steve and Sharon

Thanks to all who have been kind enough to reply with advice and guidance regarding extension leads, kettles and tea bags.

It's forums like this that help all to get the most out of their trips

Steve

Ignorance is bliss. I am very happy!!

Hi folks,

Another question from me - this time about OBC.

On my HAL confirmation, our OBC shows as $175 pp. However, on the quotes I have from the TA, I have a variety of quotes from $75 pp and upwards.

We should also get $250 because we own Carnival shares and have sent a letter to HAL to this effect. Is there anywhere online we can see a definitive sum of the actual OBC we'll get? Or will we need to wait until we get on the ship and argue it out there if it isn't OK??

It makes a difference to what we book in advance. For example, I quit fancy some of the speciality dining but don't want to book it in advance because I want to use the OBC to pay for it if we have enough.

Thanks

Morag

Hi folks,

Another question from me - this time about OBC.

On my HAL confirmation, our OBC shows as $175 pp. However, on the quotes I have from the TA, I have a variety of quotes from $75 pp and upwards.

We should also get $250 because we own Carnival shares and have sent a letter to HAL to this effect. Is there anywhere online we can see a definitive sum of the actual OBC we'll get? Or will we need to wait until we get on the ship and argue it out there if it isn't OK??

It makes a difference to what we book in advance. For example, I quit fancy some of the speciality dining but don't want to book it in advance because I want to use the OBC to pay for it if we have enough.

Thanks

Morag

If you OBC is showing as $175, that is what you should be receiving.

for your CCL shares, HAL normally emails me a confirmation and my TA sends me a new confirmation which shows the OBC.

If you haven't heard from HAL or they didn't have your email, send an email/call your TA and ask for a confirmation of your OBC that you have. That should answer all questions.

If there is a night where you really want the specialty dining, it might be best to book on line. You won't be able to use your obc to pay for it but better to have the night you want than find out it is unavailable when you get on board. If you are flexible on your days and times, then you can wait until you board to book.

Don't forget that your HSC will help "eat up" some of that OBC ;)

Thanks Jacqui,

My TA is a bit of a shambles!! She has so far listed 3 different amounts of OBC and when I recently asked her about a price drop she got herself in a right mess!!

I have actually considered cancelling with hr and re-booking but she did get us a good price in the first place so I'm a bit reluctant. I also have another cruise booked with her where she also got us a good price. And she seems really nice - just a bit dithery!!

But I'm just hoping that the OBC is as much as I'm expecting as otherwise it WON'T be such a good deal!! That's why I was trying to check it out!!

I DO have the HAL cruise documentation showing it (though not the shareholder stuff) so hopefully it will be OK. Should it show it when I do Online Check-In?

Morag

Thanks Jacqui,

My TA is a bit of a shambles!! She has so far listed 3 different amounts of OBC and when I recently asked her about a price drop she got herself in a right mess!!

I have actually considered cancelling with hr and re-booking but she did get us a good price in the first place so I'm a bit reluctant. I also have another cruise booked with her where she also got us a good price. And she seems really nice - just a bit dithery!!

But I'm just hoping that the OBC is as much as I'm expecting as otherwise it WON'T be such a good deal!! That's why I was trying to check it out!!

I DO have the HAL cruise documentation showing it (though not the shareholder stuff) so hopefully it will be OK. Should it show it when I do Online Check-In?

Morag

NO, your OBC won't show because you booked with a TA. Your TA has it and should send you your invoice that will show all the OBC.

Did the TA give you the OBC? If so, they should have no problem sending you the invoice. AND you need their confirmation of what they are giving as the TA's OBC doesn't show on your invoice. This is what my TA does and all of my OBC (except what she is giving me) shows there. Any HAL promotions, CCL, Future Cruise deposit bonuses, etc. will be there in one total. My TA always sends me a clear email telling me what OBC I am being given by them and I have never had an issue with that OBC (although I always take a copy of the e ;))

Another planning question!

As a first timer with HAL, we are trying to figure out our best plan regarding drinks.

We would spend most days ashore so our only drinking is a pre-dinner aperitif, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and then a post dinner wine or beer. The rest of the time we drink water especially if we have an evening's dancing (Modern Jive) and need to keep hydrated.

How can we find out the cost of the small time drinks package or the cost of drinks ad hoc?

Does the drinks package include the service charge?

Is there a package for half a dozen bottles of wine?

Is there a way of getting a better deal on the drinks package for example buying it at check-in, on board or from the room steward, maitre'd, sommelier or cabin cleaner;)?

Thanks

Steve

Okay so next question. I have seen post about taking a tablecloth to use on the verandah and also something about putting decoration on your door so you recognize it. What size cloth and aren the doors numbered. ? I'm organizing my packing early because once Black Friday hits I'm at our store all the time and leaving everything till Christmas Day doesn't sound wise

As a first timer with HAL, we are trying to figure out our best plan regarding drinks.

We would spend most days ashore so our only drinking is a pre-dinner aperitif, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and then a post dinner wine or beer. The rest of the time we drink water especially if we have an evening's dancing (Modern Jive) and need to keep hydrated.

How can we find out the cost of the small time drinks package or the cost of drinks ad hoc?

Is there a way of getting a better deal on the drinks package for example buying it at check-in, on board or from the room steward, maitre'd, sommelier or cabin cleaner;)?

Thanks

Steve

There is indeed a wine package you can purchase. There is the Admiral & Navigator which comes in 3, 5 or 7 bottles of wine. You can choose from any of the wines on the list. You can see the pricing for those on the HAL site. You can order it on line or on board. We prefer to wait until we are on board so that we can check to see which wines are available for each package (sometimes they may vary slightly). You can also purchase a beverage card if you want to avoid all those little charges on your on board account. There is no real savings doing that. It is just convenience.

I doubt the regular drink package would be of value to you.

The service charge is added to the wine package as well as any drink purchases.

There is usually happy hour on board. Two different times normally. For an hour you can buy one drink and get the other for a $1. So, a definite savings there.

Okay so next question. I have seen post about taking a tablecloth to use on the verandah and also something about putting decoration on your door so you recognize it. What size cloth and aren the doors numbered. ? I'm organizing my packing early because once Black Friday hits I'm at our store all the time and leaving everything till Christmas Day doesn't sound wise

Yes, the doors are numbered. No need to decorate your door unless you want to ;) We don't need or take a tablecloth, but hopefully one of the regulars who does sees your question and can advise on the size.

Thanks

Steve

Here are the drinks packages that HAL offers:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Beverage-Packages-for-Stateroom.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wine-and-Champagne-for-Stateroom.pdf

Here is the Bar Menu from May 2015 but it has been reported that prices are a bit higher for each drink:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu1.pdf

Hope this helps in your planning.

I know of two sizes of verandah tables but there could be more. The aft-wrap Neptune Suites have 42-inch tables and the other verandah suites tables are 28-inch. We have two 70-inch round tablecloths that work for both sizes.

Don't forget the clips. The table thickness is about 1-inch.

I don't pack a tablecloth, but if you do just remember it is windy on your balcony, and will need to be anchored down.

ChristyS unless you have booked one of the suites the table on the verandah's of the rest of the staterooms have just a small low table that measure about 12" to 18" round at the most. There is a site that we are not allowed to mention here on CC, BUT if you Google "pictures of HAL stateroom" it ought to be the first link that pops up. There are oddles of pictures and other good information that has all been provided by HAL cruisers.

Edited by larsen

ChristyS unless you have booked one of the suites the table on the verandah's of the rest of the staterooms have just a small low table that measure about 12" to 18" round at the most. There is a site that we are not allowed to mention here on CC, BUT if you Google "pictures of HAL stateroom" it ought to be the first link that pops up. There are oddles of pictures and other good information that has all been provided by HAL cruisers.

You are right.

The tiny table you describe on the regular verandahs is more like a drink table than anything else. It certainly won't hold a meal tray.

To get the large table in addition to the tiny table you have to book a Signature Suite, at the very minimum.

There is indeed a wine package you can purchase. There is the Admiral & Navigator which comes in 3, 5 or 7 bottles of wine. You can choose from any of the wines on the list. You can see the pricing for those on the HAL site. You can order it on line or on board. We prefer to wait until we are on board so that we can check to see which wines are available for each package (sometimes they may vary slightly). You can also purchase a beverage card if you want to avoid all those little charges on your on board account. There is no real savings doing that. It is just convenience.

There is usually happy hour on board. Two different times normally. For an hour you can buy one drink and get the other for a $1. So, a definite savings there.

Thanks Kazu. It may seem like a stupid question but in happy hour does the second drink (the one for a dollar) have to be the same as the first?

Thanks Kazu. It may seem like a stupid question but in happy hour does the second drink (the one for a dollar) have to be the same as the first?

There is NO such thing as a stupid question and that certainly is NOT one :)

Yes, in my experience they need to be the same drink. So, if your DH wants a Scotch he orders two (an example) and if you want wine you order two - you can always take one to the MDR for dinner ;) depending upon your dining time or sip and enjoy or sip and take back to your cabin.

The possibilities are endless :D

Edited by kazu

We are on the 11 night Iberian Discovery from Rome to Southampton aboard Rotterdam. How do we find out which nights are formal ones?

You won't know for sure until you board, but most likely there will be 3 - the 2nd or 3rd night (whichever is an at sea day), the next to last night, and another (most likely an at sea day) in between.