Naples: National Archeological Museum and Amalfi Coast

snyderc635

I am looking for advice on the best way to plan for visiting both the museum in Naples and also a drive along the Amalfi coast. Any past cruisers who have done this and can offer a game plan would be appreciated! Also, what would be the best place to have a nice lunch at some point as well. Thanks in advance!

Edited by snyderc635

I am looking for advice on the best way to plan for visiting both the museum in Naples and also a drive along the Amalfi coast. Any past cruisers who have done this and can offer a game plan would be appreciated! Also, what would be the best place to have a nice lunch at some point as well. Thanks in advance!

I would plan to go to the coast first, as it's the farthest away from the cruise port, and visit the museum on the way back as it's only a mile from the port.

The only practical way to accomplish this in one day is by car, either a private car service or a taxi. By taxi the fixed fare is 220 Euro. You can download the fixed fare chart from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

We have done both the Amalfi Coast and the Arch. Museum. On separate days. To give the Arch museum any justice, or even to just see the best 10 pieces, it would take a few hours....I would choose just one--either the Coast or the Museum. The Museum is an absolute gem--the "secret" room is worth a bit of time, and I would also recommend getting an EyeWitness Guide of the 10 Best things to do in Naples---it gives the best pieces in the Archeological museum to see--if you can resist everything else....It also houses ALOT of Pompeii's glass/dishes, etc.. As far as lunch around the Museum, there's really not a "great" place to have lunch....

If you take eurocruiser's suggestion, you probably wouldn't be looking for lunch in the vicinity of the Naples Archaeological Museum....but I do have to disagree a bit with the previous poster.

Near the museum are several good, traditional brick-oven pizzerias that make pizza in the traditional Neapolitan style. To find such a pizzeria, you look for a sign (usually proudly displayed and hard to miss) that says "Vera Pizza Napoletana" -- see the link below to a blog that shows what the sign looks like.

http://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/the-ten-best-pizzerias-in-naples-italy-possibly-the-best-pizza-in-the-world

One place near the museum that's often on the "Best of" lists for pizza is Lombardi. It's also listed in the blog link.

These places aren't fancy, but if you want to try the real thing, it's definitely an experience.

If you take eurocruiser's suggestion, you probably wouldn't be looking for lunch in the vicinity of the Naples Archaeological Museum....but I do have to disagree a bit with the previous poster.

Near the museum are several good, traditional brick-oven pizzerias that make pizza in the traditional Neapolitan style. To find such a pizzeria, you look for a sign (usually proudly displayed and hard to miss) that says "Vera Pizza Napoletana" -- see the link below to a blog that shows what the sign looks like.

http://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/the-ten-best-pizzerias-in-naples-italy-possibly-the-best-pizza-in-the-world

One place near the museum that's often on the "Best of" lists for pizza is Lombardi. It's also listed in the blog link.

These places aren't fancy, but if you want to try the real thing, it's definitely an experience.

Hmmm.....Wished I had known that--didn't see any of the above when we went---...We headed down the street in front of the Museum, to Pza. Barbarini near the music school and had a quick bite....The area is pretty quiet. We continued straight down, and found a gelateria (forgot the name) that's one of the oldest in Naples....

What day are you in port? The museum is closed on Tuesday.

You could easily do Sorrento and the museum in one day, using the circumsuvisna

If the museum is closed on the day you visit, you could visit Herculaneum or Pompeii instead.

With the Italian (and French) penchant for having one-day strikes, I would check the museum first. The only time we were in Naples, we went to Herculaneum and then to the Museum afterwards. The museum was closed due to a one-day strike, and there was a notice on the entrance door to that effect.

So if there is a strike the day you're there, or if it's otherwise closed, at least you'll know that you can take the Amalfi drive at your leisure.

We have done both, but did each as a day unto itself. I would also suggest doing Amalfi Drive first, and try to get off your ship as early as possible and have private car and driver whisk you over there. Then, depending on how long your ship is in port, you could have your driver drop you at the museum in Naples.

We walked to the Naples Archaeological Museum from the ship both ways, and walking back to the ship is quite easy as it is more downhill. It is a lovely museum, well worth the visit. Naples is a bit dirty and gritty, but the walk back is easy along a street with a lot of shops and people out and about. If you are in a pinch for time I'm sure you could grab a taxi.