Opinon Sought for Hotel (Location vs Price)

bvocruise

We are staying three nights in Rome before a cruise. We found some decent places. The one in a great location is the Albergo Cesari. The price is 590 euros for the three nights.

We found another hotel in an okay location, the Hotel Griffo and it is 384 Euros.

Both hotels are highly rated on Trip Advisor with the first being close to a lot of attractions. Both places are also three star hotels and include breakfast and are 1.4km apart from each other. They are also both reasonably close to a metro stop.

I'm looking for input on whether we should spend the extra 200 Euros. My guess is the Albergo Cesari has some more charm. It is in a very old building which is always cool.

**Excuse me spelling opinion wrong in the subject line, it would not let me correct it**

Edited by bvocruise

I'll preface this by saying I've not stayed in either hotel, but after looking at each website, I would spend the extra 200 Euros and stay at the Albergo Cesari. It just looks charming and their in room soft products look like a better quality than the Grifo. If I were travelling by myself, either one would be fine, but with a dear spouse it's different.

Price plays a huge role for me when selecting a hotel. I'm not wealthy and do not intend to pay for a hotel like I am. I try to find a hotel that suits my needs at a price I'm willing to pay. If I have to travel by taxi to it, so be it. For our Med cruise (3 days pre-cruise in Rome), we stayed at a small hotel close to the Vatican. We had a triple and the room was huge with a small balcony. There weren't any restaurants close by, and we did have to use a taxi to/from the Vatican at 10 or 11 EUR each direction. At around 90 EUR per night, we saved quite a sum over staying at a hotel in the historic center.

The most expensive hotel I've stayed at anywhere in my 30 years of traveling has been Venice at $220 per night. I usually set $99 as my goal.

Only you can decide if the hotel is worth the extra cost. I'd rather use that money for other things (a cameo, tour or something similar). JMHO

Edited by agabbymama

I'll preface this by saying I've not stayed in either hotel, but after looking at each website, I would spend the extra 200 Euros and stay at the Albergo Cesari. It just looks charming and their in room soft products look like a better quality than the Grifo. If I were travelling by myself, either one would be fine, but with a dear spouse it's different.

We stayed close to the Grifo las time as part of tour package and the area was okay. We do think the Albergo Cesari is cool though and it is close to a lot of things. We like to be in the center of things and enjoy walking quite a bit.

I have not stayed at either hotel, but I would try and compare the amenities and decide what is most important to you. Personally, if both were clean, offered roughly the same amenities and were in good locations - I would save the money to spend on other things. Also - how much time are you planning on spending in your room? That might make a difference if your looking for more luxurious surroundings or are just needing a place to rest comfortably at night.

I have not stayed at either hotel, but I would try and compare the amenities and decide what is most important to you. Personally, if both were clean, offered roughly the same amenities and were in good locations - I would save the money to spend on other things. Also - how much time are you planning on spending in your room? That might make a difference if your looking for more luxurious surroundings or are just needing a place to rest comfortably at night.

We will not be in the room very much but do kind of like the idea of staying in an building. It is about a 20 min walk between both of the hotels. We may reserve both and cancel one later on.

Hotel Grifo isn't in a bad location if you are primarily interested in "ancient Rome" -- it's very convenient to the Colosseum, Forum, Capitoline museum, Trajan's Market, San Clemente church, Circus Maximus, and Baths of Caracalla.

The Albero Cesari is no doubt more charming and the area around it is really great at night.

I don't think either one is a bad choice, but it ultimately depends on your budget, itinerary, and preferences.

Hotel Grifo isn't in a bad location if you are primarily interested in "ancient Rome" -- it's very convenient to the Colosseum, Forum, Capitoline museum, Trajan's Market, San Clemente church, Circus Maximus, and Baths of Caracalla.

The Albero Cesari is no doubt more charming and the area around it is really great at night.

I don't think either one is a bad choice, but it ultimately depends on your budget, itinerary, and preferences.

Money isn't a problem, we are just trying to determine in our mind if the charming place is worth the extra. I also found another place near the Pathean, Hotel Navorna. The drawbacks with it are no lift and breakfast is an extra 10 Euros per person per day.

I'm thinking we will go for the charming location this time around.

Money isn't a problem, we are just trying to determine in our mind if the charming place is worth the extra. I also found another place near the Pathean, Hotel Navorna. The drawbacks with it are no lift and breakfast is an extra 10 Euros per person per day.

I'm thinking we will go for the charming location this time around.

Yay! Great choice!

Yay! Great choice!

We love the area where the Albergo Ceasri is located. Now it is down to the Albergo Ceasri or Hotel Navona. I really like the location of Hotel Navona but it does not have an elevator and breakfast is an extra 10 euros per person per day. It is also only a two star hotel where the Albergo Ceasri is three stars. The price works out the same when you factor in breakfast.

Right now the slight edge goes to Albergo Ceasri but Hotel Navona is a close second. These are the only two hotels in the area that are in our price range.

Edited by bvocruise

We love the area where the Albergo Ceasri is located. Now it is down to the Albergo Ceasri or Hotel Navona. I really like the location of Hotel Navona but it does not have an elevator and breakfast is an extra 10 euros per person per day. It is also only a two star hotel where the Albergo Ceasri is three stars. The price works out the same when you factor in breakfast.

Right now the slight edge goes to Albergo Ceasri but Hotel Navona is a close second. These are the only two hotels in the area that are in our price range.

Personally I would take the Cesari hands down.

Because I'm familiar with the location and the amenities of both, although I haven't stayed at either but I have checked them both out and for the same price I believe this Cesari is a better value

Thank you for the response, I feel the same way based on research. The terrace at Cesari seems very nice also.

We have not stayed at the Cesari but we did have a reservation to stay there in July (which we eventually canceled). We ended up coughing up more $ to stay at Albergo Del Senato which we had stayed at on our last visit to Rome and absolutely loved. While in Rome this time we walked by the Albergo Cesari several times---it is really conveniently located---and it appeared to be a hotel that we would enjoy staying at. The rooftop terrace is a huge plus. If you stay there I think you will be very happy with your decision.

We have not stayed at the Cesari but we did have a reservation to stay there in July (which we eventually canceled). We ended up coughing up more $ to stay at Albergo Del Senato which we had stayed at on our last visit to Rome and absolutely loved. While in Rome this time we walked by the Albergo Cesari several times---it is really conveniently located---and it appeared to be a hotel that we would enjoy staying at. The rooftop terrace is a huge plus. If you stay there I think you will be very happy with your decision.

We looked at the Albergo Del Senato and have heard very good things about it. The cost is an extra 330 Euros compared to the Albergo Cesari for the three nights which is more than we want to pay. I have heard they have some good last minute deals sometimes and will keep my eyes open.