Nugget Falls and Mendenhall Glacier

Nina2014

It's about a mile each way. Photo Point, which also has a beautiful view, is a lot shorter. Nugget Falls trail is off the Photo Point. You might just want to assess the distances when you get there.

Edited by Budget Queen

How far is the walk from the Mendenhall Visitors Centre to Nugget Falls? Is it hilly? My mom has some mobility issues and walks very slowly. Would she be able to do this walk?
If she attempts it, allow plenty of time so you can make frequent stops to rest and just look around to enjoy the scenery from different angles along the way, without feeling rushed.

Small children do it and elderly people with canes do it, but each person's mobility issues are different.

It is not hilly, but there were a few places along the way where the terrain was uneven and there were a couple of wet places to cross (kind of very shallow streams) the last time we did it.

She might want to bring along a cane or walking stick, just to help with balance.

There were two ways we could go to get out to the waterfall, one path right along the waterfront and the other further inland. I walked out on one and came back on the other, and thought the path that followed the edge of the water was definitely the more scenic.

But that was a couple of years ago, so things easily may have changed since then.

One would expect it to be cold close to a glacier. We have been there previously when it was cold and we were all bundled up, but the last time I was there it was a bright, sunny day.

I started overheating, took my jacket off and ended up walking around feeling very comfortable in t-shirt and jeans.

I was very surprised to see children and their dogs swimming and playing around in the water, which I would have expected to be freezing cold, but apparently not. Some were even sitting on the rocks right under the waterfall, enjoying getting soaked by the waterfall (definitely not something that I would want to attempt myself, but I could see someone like Jimmy Fallon doing it).

You may want to bring along a backpack so you can easily add or remove clothing layers as needed.

Edited by varoo

How far is the walk from the Mendenhall Visitors Centre to Nugget Falls? Is it hilly? My mom has some mobility issues and walks very slowly. Would she be able to do this walk?

Be advised. There is no place to stop and sit to rest. Allow about twice the time it would take you. I did this trail this past May. I have knee problems and walking any distance is difficult for me, but I was able to do this trail and in the rain! It took me longer than others but is very doable..It would have helped if I could have stopped and rested my knees a little though..next time I may bring a wheeled walker with a seat.

The trail is no paved, but very easy to walk. The terrain is uneven in some places. The weather was wet and cool in late May. Just needed a light jacket and raincoat though. Dress in layers, as you never know what the weather will be. It was sooo worth the effort and pain! :cool:

Edited by snuggles

If you go on an organized tour, which generally allow 60-75 minutes, it is tight. I did it with my 79 year old mother (no mobility concerns, just walks slower than me)...one mile out and one mile back, took us about an 50-60 min total with about 10 min at the actual falls for photos. Add 10 min at the first lookout point ( as far as a lot of the less mobile folks go...fyi the one mile out starts here), and 5 min in the visitor centre. Good quality trail with mild up and down sections. I felt a bit rushed as i would have liked to go to the photo point and actually read the information in the visitor centre/watch the short movie as well but didn't have time.

OP here-

thanks for the great ideas, everyone.

Based on your feedback, I think we will not take an organized tour but just take a bus out there so that we allow plenty of time to walk slow and take in the sights.