Upgrade question

kaceyisme

Both times I was upgraded pre-cruise...first about 30 days out....second about 2 weeks out...points received for what paid for.

I think where the confusion may be coming from here is with booking a Guar cabin and then receiving a higher category.....that is NOT truly considered an upgrade. Booking a Guar means exactly that...you are guarantied a cabin in the category you took the Guar at OR a higher category. I have booked Guar cabins and several times received a higher category...BUT i don't consider that an upgrade.

Agree, and hope those upgrades keep coming your way!

Happy sailing!

Jenna

• 4 weeks later...
I will be aboard the Century next Sunday, going to Alaska. I was upgraded from an ocean view to a Family Veranda. I too was curious as to the points I would be accorded so I called the Captain's Club. I was told I would be getting the points based on the cabin I will be sailing in. Who knows? Will let you know after the cruise.:)

As promised, I can report from my firsthand experience after my most recent cruise that I was allocated points based on the veranda stateroom that I actually sailed in and not those that are based upon those that would be allocated to the ocean view room I paid for.:D

I think people are confusing terminology. An Upsell is when you pay more to move up a category or cabin type (OV to balcony) for $$. An Upgrade is a freebie, you paid nothing, like someone described, looked at their reservation and discovered they have been moved from OV to balcony, etc. Also, if you are GUAR booking, then the discussion gets even more complicated as this is neither an Upsell nor Upgrade in the true terms of those words within the cruise industry. It's an assignment of your cabin. So some of these postings are trying to compare apples to oranges. Happy Sailing!

Edited by 1cruiselvr

As promised, I can report from my firsthand experience after my most recent cruise that I was allocated points based on the veranda stateroom that I actually sailed in and not those that are based upon those that would be allocated to the ocean view room I paid for.:D

So did you have a free upgrade, or did you pay a difference for an upsell?

It seems a FREE upgrade from an oceanview to a Family Veranda would be a major upgrade

I think people are confusing terminology. An Upsell is when you pay more to move up a category or cabin type (OV to balcony) for $$. An Upgrade is a freebie, you paid nothing, like someone described, looked at their reservation and discovered they have been moved from OV to balcony, etc. Also, if you are GUAR booking, then the discussion gets even more complicated as this is neither an Upsell nor Upgrade in the true terms of those words within the cruise industry. It's an assignment of your cabin. So some of these postings are trying to compare apples to oranges. Happy Sailing!

In my case my upgrade from outside to aqua class was free. I received points for what I actually paid for which was an outside. Had it been an upsell to aqua class, then that is what I would have expected to receive points for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked a Inside Guarantee and was assigned a Veranda.

I didn't get 3 points/night for veranda room though.

X website says that I sailed "Club Veranda Staterooms" for 11 nights and received 22 points.

What does "Club Veranda Staterooms" mean?

2ur5mop.jpg

I won't complain though because I'd already benefited from unexpected room assignment. However, it still is a bit disappointed since 11 point difference would move me up from Classic to Select.