Shanghai Baoshan Port

Bufrenee

Which cruise are you on? If it is the April 2015 transpacific, join us on the Roll Call: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835053

For that cruise, Celebrity are providing transfers from the Hyatt on the Bund. However, I am not sure if it is only for those who have booked the hotel through Celebrity or if anyone can purchase a transfer. It is worth asking them but I do not know the charge because those using the service for our cruise have booked the hotel through Celebrity - the rate offered was too good for us to think about doing it any other way.

Celebrity are providing transfers from the Hyatt on the Bund. However, I am not sure if it is only for those who have booked the hotel through Celebrity or if anyone can purchase a transfer. It is worth asking them but I do not know the charge because those using the service for our cruise have booked the hotel through Celebrity - the rate offered was too good for us to think about doing it any other way.

But if you haven't stayed at The Hyatt On The Bund, it's a terrific hotel that is contemporary [quite Western], beautifully maintained, impeccably clean, and extremely well situated... The property offers a fairly wide array of dining options and has a a strong service standard throughout...

While aboard Azamara Journey early this year for what was expected to be three consecutive sailings, the ship sustained propeller damage after an unfortunate encounter with debris--the ship lost--as we entered Tokyo Bay... After our planned overnight in Tokyo, we did depart for our next port--Osaka--as scheduled but limped in, on one prop, twenty hours late; that sailing was terminated two days early [it was to have ended in Shanghai] and the subsequent cruise [which was to originate in Shanghai with an onboard overnight] was fully cancelled as the ship was sent to dry dock in South Korea for repair... Azamara flew virtually all guests to Shanghai--a few chose to return home from Osaka--and provided all with one night's accommodation at The Hyatt so that most--there were only 22 of us who were scheduled for the next sailing--could pick up their return travel as originally planned... I wound up at The Hyatt for four nights after needing to reschedule my return flights [the next leg was to take me back to Hong Kong; in turn, I had plans to do a post-cruise land tour in Beijing] and must say that, despite the disappointment associated with my shortened journey on Journey, the extended stay in Shanghai--at the Hyatt--proved to be a good consolation...

Consider requesting a riverfront room on a relatively high floor; the views are commanding [one wing favors Pu Xi (historic Shanghai) and the other favors Pu Dong (the new business--primarily financial--district across the river)]... The architecture--while very different--is amazing from either perspective and the choreographed night time illumination of the riverfront [all the lights come on/turn off at exactly the same time] is surely memorable... And whether you are successful in getting a riverfront room of not, know that the hotel's rooftop bar provides exceptional views--particularly at night--of both...

Enjoy your stay and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. Perhaps I made it sound like the Hyatt was Hobson's choice. Actually we were very happy that it was the hotel we could book through Celebrity. The fact that it was at a very good rate was a bonus.

It is clear that there are many great hotels in Shanghai because, although all the reviews we read on Trip Advisor were 5 stars, it was about #28.

Thanks. Perhaps I made it sound like the Hyatt was Hobson's choice.

There is no lack of affluence/opulence--for some--in booming Shanghai and there are some truly magnificent hotels [some more classic/traditional, some more modern and commanding higher tariffs than The Hyatt; a few of those are also located on The Bund] dotting the city... That said, The Hyatt is located right on the bend in the river so as to provide unique panoramic views of both river banks via wall-to-wall/ceiling-to-floor windows...

Our private guide told us that it's the first property to book--as soon as reservations open a year in advance--for the city's [apparently] spectacular New Year's Celebration...

Just wanted you to know that, to my mind, you made an excellent choice... And the Royal Caribbean corporate rate--Azamara arranged for me to extend my stay on that basis--makes it particularly attractive...

Enjoy your stay!

Which cruise are you on? If it is the April 2015 transpacific, join us on the Roll Call: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835053

For that cruise, Celebrity are providing transfers from the Hyatt on the Bund. However, I am not sure if it is only for those who have booked the hotel through Celebrity or if anyone can purchase a transfer. It is worth asking them but I do not know the charge because those using the service for our cruise have booked the hotel through Celebrity - the rate offered was too good for us to think about doing it any other way.

Thank you for your prompt response. We are on the Yokohama to Hong Kong Cruise on the 26th. of October and the ship docks at Baoshan about 27Kms from town. Probably the same port where you depart from. We will be there for only about 12 hours..

Sorry, cannot help then.

However, I know that google maps say that it is a 30 minute journey from the Bund to the port BUT I would be extremely wary. It is over 20 years since we were last in China and, then, there were very few private cars but the journeys were dreadful and took ages. It is hard to see how traffic can have improved when the number of private cars has exploded.

I would expect that Celebrity would provide tours into Shanghai and are likely to offer a "Shanghai on your own" tour. That would probably be my choice unless I was certain that the road had improved greatly.

What is the concern? Plenty of metered taxis, cheap, Just have destination written in chinese.

I am not sure I would be so relaxed as that

I go abroad to this area and Beijing very regularly now and there are huge issues with taxis that hang around tourist areas all of which would say ships shuttle, ships tour or pre arranged private tour only

The regular scams and issues are (and unless you are "oriental" looking these will be pulled very regularly)

A drivers who actually cannot read so unless you can say where you want to go you have issues - this is a really massive issue

B knocking their meters onto high tariff rates then arguing it's what the meter says

C the fake note scam - they give you back "your notes" saying they are fakes but actually they have just switched you to fakes

D the very long way round route/ the forget to set the meter and can't understand you as you keep asking them to use it

E unless you are very careful the address in Mandarin may be written not quite correct, many taxi drivers use this as an excuse to take you somewhere else - this has even happened with hotel pre printed business cards

F picking up a taxi for return trips - many who do not have the right papers on them that day will not want to go to official places like ports and airports then some one will see you are getting disparate and will offer you a deal that is not in your best interests in an unlicensed car

G beware the helpful concierge or "taxi Marshall" they are often on backhanders from unlicensed taxis who look so like the real thing you will not realise until too late

Given the standards of driving in these cities, you do not want to be in an unlicensed car, if there is an issue or the car is stooped at a roadblock the driver will scarper and you are sitting in the middle of nowhere.....

Sorry I do not want to be a profit of doom but suffice to say we use private drivers all the time or in the city we use the subway. It is not a country that fully functions to the kind of standards and regulations we are used to

Sorry, cannot help then.

However, I know that google maps say that it is a 30 minute journey from the Bund to the port BUT I would be extremely wary. It is over 20 years since we were last in China and, then, there were very few private cars but the journeys were dreadful and took ages. It is hard to see how traffic can have improved when the number of private cars has exploded.

I would expect that Celebrity would provide tours into Shanghai and are likely to offer a "Shanghai on your own" tour. That would probably be my choice unless I was certain that the road had improved greatly.

I agree. When we debarked st Baoshan in March this year, our private transfer to a downtown hotel took 70 minutes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Not recommended for that distance unless you speak Mandarin.

Cruising to and staying in Shanghai several times in the last few years. Took taxi frequently and never had problem. I had hotel give me address written in Chinese because most drivers do not speak English.

Another hint, my wife got sick in Shanghai and hotel organised a taxi to take us to hospital for westerners. Everyone spoke English, had check up, blood test, doctor, and western medication. Total cost 6 Yuan plus cost of medication $15. Try that in USA.

Cruising to and staying in Shanghai several times in the last few years. Took taxi frequently and never had problem. I had hotel give me address written in Chinese because most drivers do not speak English.

Another hint, my wife got sick in Shanghai and hotel organised a taxi to take us to hospital for westerners. Everyone spoke English, had check up, blood test, doctor, and western medication. Total cost 6 Yuan plus cost of medication $15. Try that in USA.

You were very lucky indeed = I hope your wife recovered quickly (though I can also tell stories about the medication used in many of these clinics which is actually fake but that is for another day...)

Generally you will find hotel concierges can access reputable taxis - they know you have a feedback loop to the hotel and so it is more than their job is worth, I certainly use them for trips back to the airport. However my original advice still stands do not try and get a taxi from the port or back use the ships shuttle or excursions

The USA is irrelevant; the OP is talking about getting to and from a port in China, and both I and UKtog who has similar concerns, live in Scotland, UK.

My reading of the OP's question is that they are talking about a port call (confirmed in post 6), not embarkation/debark and hotel's don't even come into the equation. The distance is considerable, the roads choked with traffic, and a language problem exists for most westerners.

Having seen first hand the problems my fellow cruisers encountered trying to negotiate with the taxi cartels in both Tianjin and Baoshan, caution is definitely recommended. Especially if you may miss the ship after visiting the City!

Edited by harz99

What is the concern? Plenty of metered taxis, cheap, Just have destination written in chinese.

burchan; it would help avoid your quotes being added to other text when requoted (as the two above), if you simply use the quote button and then write your text in the area below (maybe tab down a couple of lines). Thanks.

My wife and I plan to tour Shanghai on our own. We hope Celebrity provides a shuttle service to the Bund area. If they do not then we will take a taxi less than 2 miles down Baoyang Road to Baoyang Subway Station on Line 3 (Yellow). If we are feeling adventurous we may try bus No 9 that also goes to the subway from the port area.

This all depends on if we are actually docked at the Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal in Baoshan District. Google Maps shows all these landmarks in both English and Chinese text to show the taxi driver.

Tom

You were very lucky indeed = I hope your wife recovered quickly (though I can also tell stories about the medication used in many of these clinics which is actually fake but that is for another day...)

Generally you will find hotel concierges can access reputable taxis - they know you have a feedback loop to the hotel and so it is more than their job is worth, I certainly use them for trips back to the airport. However my original advice still stands do not try and get a taxi from the port or back use the ships shuttle or excursions

I spent three weeks in Shanghai when DH had a heart attack on a cruise ship. He was taken to an international hospital, where he received excellent care. He was sent home with a DVD of his surgery and the cardiologist here said he had state of the art care. He has been fine for six years now, and earlier this year we took a land tour of China to see the places we missed that time.

I had no problem using taxis when I was out and about alone and found that asking the door man at a reputable hotel was the way to go.(I was staying at the hospital, not a hotel.) We used the same method on our recent trip and it still worked fine.

Shanghai is an interesting city, and as long as you are careful and aware of your surroundings, reasonably safe. It is very crowded and the traffic is horrendous but the taxi drivers cope with it well.

Thank you all for your comments. I lived and worked in Shanghai 8 years ago for a year and have been back several times, once on the Azamara Quest overnighting there. Because it was small ship it docked near the Bund just opposite the tower.

This time we will be docking at the new terminal at Baoshan arriving at 6 am and sailing at 10 pm. Some of the other cruise lines used to run shuttle service from the port to People's Park, but cannot get any info from Celebrity. I do realize that Celebrity is new in the SE Asia ports.

Yes taxis are cheap but with a large ship, there may be a shortage of taxis at the port considering that there are not too many ships calling at that port and the distance from the city. If there is no shuttle service then the time in the city will be reduced as the traffic can be horrendous at certain time of the day.