Lunch on embarkation day

Giantfan13

I have found MDR on our cruises on sail away is the perfect spot as long as you are not in any rush. It will be much quieter then the buffet as the staff will try hard to push you to the buffet. Just ask which MDR is serving and go there. I have found other the first day i rarely remember eating in the MDR for lunch because you are totally on the go and i at least have no interest in a hour lunch when there is so much to do.

I don't know about Divina but, in my experience in the Med (where there are multiple embarkations on the same cruise) you are advised to go to the buffet for lunch. I was refused entry to the MDR for lunch on one of my first sailings so now, if I want to get lunch in the MDR after embarking, I approach the restaurant entrance as though I've been onboard forever! (Drop your handluggage to your cabin beforehand and any other giveaway clues that you've just boarded :D).

I've also seen others turned away - they approach the dining room with a lost expression on their faces (a dead giveaway). Funny thing about my getting around it is that the cruisecard will indicate when you've embarked. Yet, when I hand my card over to the waiter for a drinks order, nothing is said. I suppose once you're seated they're not going to eject you! Having said all that, I've since preferred to go to the buffet if I'm on the ship early (before the mad rush) as, like a previous poster has said, there's more to be doing on your first day than sit in the MDR with slow (ok, leisurely, LOL) service.

One thing I've noticed with the more exclusive, upmarket cruiselines is they indicate EXACTLY what's included in the price which is always (for a 7 nighter):

6 lunches, 7 dinners, 7 breakfasts. Seems lunch is not included on the first day. I wonder if that's an unwritten policy by MSC for MDR.

Edited by Beamafar

MSC offers the welcome lunch at the buffet. We were not allowed to have lunch at the main restaurant on the first day. We were informed that it is for transit passengers only.

Interesting Travelberlin. I seen that they advertise in the "Day 1" Dailies that Villa Rossa was open for lunch, but I guess it only applies for those who are on the second leg of a b2b.

Edited by Mikesa1721

I understand the buffet is open for lunch, but do they also serve in one of the MDR's also. we are on the Divina, sailing Saturday and were just curious about this.

Cheers

Len

Len,,,I believe Villa Rossa will be serving lunch between 12:00 and 2:00pm.

Please let me know.

I will be boarding the Divina on Sept 6th and hate buffets (not in the Yacht Club)

MSC offers the welcome lunch at the buffet. We were not allowed to have lunch at the main restaurant on the first day. We were informed that it is for transit passengers only.

Was this in Europe?

I know in Europe it was not allowed but wonder about the Divina as this is a 7 day cruise and everyone embarking in Miami.

Was this in Europe?

I know in Europe it was not allowed but wonder about the Divina as this is a 7 day cruise and everyone embarking in Miami.

Yes it was in Europe. Maybe if in USA, MSC does not embark passengers in every port, it might be different.