Radisson versus the nickle and diming cruise lines

sdf89

Well, there is still another advantage to Radisson, that I did not appreciate. When I went to book, there happened to be 2 different promotions. One gave a 750$ a passenger discount, and the other gave a free 2 category upgrade.

I recognize this is not consistent, but I have never received either from any of our other cruise bookings.

I know I promised an accounting of all above suggestions by mid-June... well, it has been too busy at work, and I will aim now for mid-July!

One of the reasons we are strongly considering Radisson for our next cruise, over our regular cruise line, Celebrity, is that the so called nickel and diming is more like 10 and 20 dollaring. On our last cruise, two drinks before dinner was $20. Wine with dinner, whether we brought it on board ourselves, or purchased it averaged $35 per night. Purchased wine and water for our room ran about $150 for the 10 days. Even though we were in a Sky Suite, and the specialty coffees are included if you have them delivered to your room - they are not included in you order them from the Cova Cafe Milano - and I usually had a couple each day -so that's another $7 per day. Tips, well, we had very good service from our butler and waiter so they got more than the recommended amount - I think our tab for the cruise for tips came to around $300 - could have been more. The sky suite we were in is quite beautiful (it is attached to the Penthouse suite) but it is smaller than 300 sf. The other SS's (we were on the Summit) are pretty plain looking. Although I do think the balconies on the Radisson will be a bit smaller. Anyway, it just seemed to add up to a lot, and for close to or less than the total cost on Summit, it appears we can have a trip this next winter on the Navigator. Although, from what I read today, if we do go on the Navigator and not the Summit, we will miss the new Cirque show. Oh well, there is always Vegas.....Jeff

Thanks for the input. One of the things we liked about Celebrity was that even though it was a large ship, there were many places you could go and not be with the crowds. Unfortunately, one of them was not the pool area on a nice day - good reason to have the balcony! Mostly we like good conversation, making new friends, good food and wine - what most folks say is Radisson's strong suit. Jeff

Hi guys,

I took a picture on the sun deck of the Mariner and our son [who has cruised with us many times on other lines] didn't believe it! He thought I had staged it or changed it on the computer.

That is just one reason I love Radisson.

Cheers, Teresa

My on board charges for a 7 day cruise were approx. $300 less on Radisson, mainly for the wine in the restaurants and in room. We used to bring our own bottled water upon embarkation - would tie it up and check at pier, so that did not cost much and I do not drink soft drinks or beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Other cruise lines do offer soda cards at $20.00 for the week. I will be interested to see the tabulations. My last two cruises were on Radisson. Enjoyed both. Leaving soon to cruise on a "nickel/dime" cruiseline on board a brand new ship. (Radisson didn't leave from port I desired to cruise out of) It will be interesting to compare the value and service between the two lines.

Cyndi

What cruise line are you going on where soda cards are $20/week?? Most cruise lines that I've seen have been closer to $30. Not that it's a big expense either way but with the RSSC experience, you don't get the attitude by some bartenders regarding sodas ... :)

Spleen

What a pleasant surprise! Just returned to Arizona today. Got to see a "small" monsoon roll in this afternoon. YEAH! Can't wait for the real monsoons. Arizona sure is desparate for rain. Flying in today I saw the fire on Mt. Graham. I hike that mountain range. It brought tears to my eyes seeing the fire.

My upcoming cruise is to Alaska next month. Guess you know I decided against the girls cruise in December. That day conflicted with a major marathon in Tucson (December 6). I am hoping to qualify with time to apply for Boston's Marathon. I am running the Rock n Roll Marathon in Phoenix in January as well. I train much to hard to miss Tucson's run with my running buddies. The cruise was either a day to early or the race was a day to late. Gloria did not want to sail without me. She flew from Georgia to hang with me for a week in Arizona last April. We had a grand time together and she really loved our state. We hope to cruise together next summer. In any case, I know she plans to return to Arizona. One trip here and she is in love with the state. You understand!!!

I do have photos of you and I. They are at my Indiana home. When I get back there I'll track them down. The pictures are cute.

Is your mom cruising to the Caribbean with you?

Blessings,

Cyndi

Speen,

The soda cards cost $20.00 on the Princess line. I will be sailing on the Sapphire. The Sapphire is a new ship which began sailing five weeks ago. The posts on board have been excellent regarding this ship. It will be a different experience from Radisson. Alcohol is not an issue for me. For someone who does drink I understand the tab would build quickly. The board has talked about alcohol recently. Many passengers bring it on board with no problem. This ship has two restaurants (optional) that does have a $20.00 or $15.00 cover charge. There are plenty of nice restaurants to choose from if you don't care to spend the extra to dining upscale. No free water. I'll bring my own water bottle and fill it at water fountains. Specialty coffee is extra. I don't drink coffee period! As I stated earlier. It will be interesting to compare the different lines. Depending on fare and lifestyle would determine the value of ship. I am interested to see the difference in service and food. Looking forward to sailing Radisson again. Isn't it great to have variety!

Happy cruising,

Cyndi

The Sapphire looks like a beautiful ship. I'm sure you'll have a great time! My favorite mainstream cruiselines now are Celebrity (for food and ambiance) and Princess (for Personal Choice Dining). Didn't know that the soda cards were that cheap on Princess .... I think we paid by the can last time. Radisson is still my all-time favorite though now. :)

Spleen

I'm so glad this thread was at the top of the page-it must be an omen:) . Would teens be accepted on RSSC? I have two wonderful DD, 16yo, who are well behaved and entertain themselves. Am looking at Bermuda. We usually get them their own room, however with the size of the rooms was wondering how 4 to a room would work. Thanks in advance for your help.

Teens are accepted on Radisson. However, some of the other lines may offer a wider variety of activities for teens on board making it a happier cruise experience. Rock climbing, arcades, teen areas, etc. RSSC is my favorite line to cruise given the correct circumstances.

May I suggest you call RSSC direct and ask them what they offer for teens on ship sailing to Bermuda? RSSC reps are knowlegable and courteous. The RSSC website does list sq. footage of every room on every ship. That might help you determine if this is enough space to fit your family comfortably.

Enjoy Bermuda. The flowers are magnificient.

Good luck on your decision.

Cyndi

Thanks you for your input. The girls don't need a lot of entertaining on the ship, I really wanted to make sure that teens are welcomed onboard. Sorry that I may not have made that clear. On further research, it looks like there may only beds for 3 to a room. That's OK, with 4 of us, we really do need two bathrooms! Speaking of bathrooms, do all the staterooms on the Navigator have a regular bath and a shower?

Happy Sailing!

Our previous cruise was on Radisson, but we thought we would give Celebrity a try because we liked the ports. Wow, we forgot how nice it was to not have to sign vouchers. We visited some very hot locations and it was frustrating to have to repetitively sign vouchers for water and then when we wanted to buy a coke or a glass of wine to get stuck with incredible overcharges. Celebrity has a new program where for $5/day pp you can have "free soft drinks" but you must buy it for every day on the cruise even the port days when you are not on the ship, it does not include water, it does not include cans of soft drinks (only fountain soft drinks) and starting with the 2nd drink you still must pay 15% tip on each request. The end result is that you still must sign and sign and sign. Honestly, I would have paid more to simply not have to sign another voucher.

Enjoy Radisson the ease of simply having someone bring you and drink and then walking away. That is worth a lot to me.

We haven't yet sailed on Radisson, and are on this board because we hope to do so in November. We have sailed on HAL and Celebrity, and wonder how anyone can possibly spend $100 per day on tips and drinks. If it's because one is buying lots of drinks at the bar, Radisson shouldn't save much, since bar drinks aren't included. By all means, choose Radisson for luxury, food, large accommodations, and free wine with dinner. As for the other "nickel and dime" charges, everyone is different, and you'll have to judge for yourself how much you'd save on Radisson.

$32 per day for bottled water? If you won't drink the ship's water, bring some onboard and replenish it in the ports.

cruisintwinsmom - I'm not positive about the answer to your question regarding the bathrooms on the Navigator, but you can check Radisson's web-site at http://www.rssc.com and then click on "ships" near the top. I just went there and checked the lowest cost cabin and it shows a bathtub (no separate shower in addition to the tub) so I would expect that all cabins have at minimum a tub with shower combination. You could also phone Radisson toll free at (866) 325-3965 with any questions.

RSSC is sounding better and better all the time. We truly do enjoy the Celebrity ships, but these certainly have some added perks. We don't drink much alcohol, however, my DD love those frozen virgin drinks. Are these also free? Calling the TA tomorrow!

I have been to their website and am puzzled about the 2005 itinerary. Are they not going to Bermuda next year? I only see the first 2 weeks of June. Then it looks like the Navigator is headed north.

Thanks for all your help.:)

Archived