Radisson versus the nickle and diming cruise lines

sdf89

An often mentioned advantage of RSSC on this board is how there is much less "nickle and diming" as seen on the mega cruise lines. Have any of you ever done the precise accounting to see the savings from "nickle and diming"?

If not, I thought I would attempt such with help from others on the board.

But first, let me assure all that I recognize that RSSC's principle advantage is intangible and hard to put in dollar terms (service, quality, smaller ship, higher staff/pax ratio). I just thought it would help to quantitate the tangible savings... (Oh, I do confess that I need to calm DW that the savings will help cushion the higher fare) icon_wink.gif

I have picked two 7 day itineraries that are identical for RSSC and HAL.

So far the only specific dollar differences I can find are tips and drinks/wine. Are there are other specific dollar difference charges I am missing for the calculations?

Also, am I correct that both lines equally charge for excursions, bingo, shuttles, photos?

When I hear all the input, I hope to post all the calculations by mid-June to help others. icon_smile.gif

Island Princess 1983

Dawn Princess 1998

Ocean Princess 2002

Enchantment of the Seas 3/04

In my experience, Radisson does not charge for shuttle service. As for bingo, I've never seen it offered on a Radisson ship.

I haven't sailed on HAL, but I can consider Princess' charges for extras. My husband and I each drink about two quarts of bottled water per day. At $4 per pint, that's $32 a day. At dinner each night on Princess we usually ordered an inexpensive (in the $35 neighborhood) bottle of wine and confined ourselves to that. So that's a total of $67 a day for just water and wine.

It's a minor expense, but there is no charge on Radisson for the needlepoint kit similar to the ones that cost about $10 on Princess. I don't recall the charge for photos on either line. I can't compare excursion costs, but I do remember thinking on my first Radisson cruise that the prices seemed extremely reasonable and finding the excursions to be top notch and very uncrowded.

MarnaLou

Editing to add that specialty coffees are included but I don't know HAL's policy on that. Also, there are so many cocktail parties on Radisson where drinks are included that bar tabs can be quite small.

ML

[This message was edited by MarnaLou on 05-31-04 at 03:51 PM.]

ML is correct about no Shuttle charges or bingo on Radisson ships - there are no photographers either. You can get an idea of excursion costs, since Radisson posts them on their website, for voyages occurring within 60 days, I believe.

The Radisson cruises I've been on have offered Bingo. About $5 per card per game. I've actually won a few games.

Also included are dinners in the specialty restaurants, all soft drinks and mixers and room service available 24 hours a day. Your cabin is stocked with 2 bottles of liquor and the mini bar is pre-stocked with beer(not refilled) and soft drinks.

Beth

In addition to all of the differences noted by others and savings from minimal nickel-diming, you need to factor in the quality of the food. There is no comparison between RSSC and the mass-market lines. I like Celebrity the best of the mass- market lines, primarily due to their food . But the difference between RSSC and Celebrity is substantial. If great food is not big deal to you then one of the big advantages of RSSC goes away.

We've tried several of the lines and find the food generally mediocre to institutional level. Celebrity is better but RSSC is much better yet.

We have recently sailed on the Mariner (Circle South America) and HAL Volendam (Circle South Pacific '02). We did a cost comparison since our cabins were almost identical. We included every cost one can think of, and came up with a difference of $8.00 per day per person more for Radisson. We are moderate drinkers, so if you enjoy large quantities of wine, then the difference would be less. We felt the food and service was better on the Mariner, but enjoyed the promenade deck on the Volendam, which the Mariner did not have. The Mariner appeared to us as a very conservative ship, while HAL decorates their ships more lavishly. We would still recommend both lines.

WCB

We were fortunate to be on the Paul Gauguin 02/15/03. We then were on the Norwegian Dream 02/22/04.

There was no comparision in quality. The PG was superior in every way.

On the PG there was NO CHARGE for airfare from our HOME airport, overnight at LAX Hilton, breakfast buffet, bus to and from ship, bottle of Crown Royal/ Grey Goose in our room, sodas & beer in our refrig, wine, beer, and drinks at lunch and dinner, some cocktail parties, day room and lunch in Papeete, and NO TIPPING.

Yes we had some excurrsion, and health spa, but bar bill was around $50.00 for two of us!!

Now on the Dream we had around $600.00 bar bill alone, and we had friends in a owners suite and we had cocktails there 3 times!

When they are charging you around $5.00 to $8.00, or more, per drink then have the gall to add 15% on every transaction adds up in a hurry. Plus we had to pay for our own airfare, pay for transfers to ship, and then the $10.00 per day per person tip for service that was not worth it we came out paying more for hurry up and wait lines lines lines!

Needless to say we have learned our lesson.

03/22/80 MS Caribe

02/15/03 Paul Gauguin

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream

11/12/04 Mariner "MINT' Cruise

02/15/05 Diamond "ADRIFT" Cruise

On some Radisson ships (the newer ones) the cheapest accomodations are a 300 sq. ft. balcony suite. I went on both Radisson and HAL websites and searched for the best price on a cruise to Alaska for 7 nights with this type of suite. I was actually able to find a better price on Radisson! And that is not considering the included drinks and tips and such, where the savings depend on one's consumption pattern to a degree. With us, the mass market lines "eat us alive" with charges for soft drinks and bottled water, more than alcoholic drinks. I have past cruise figures which show that Radisson saves us up to $100 per day just on these things.

Thanks,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

We haven't yet sailed on Radisson, and are on this board because we hope to do so in November. We have sailed on HAL and Celebrity, and wonder how anyone can possibly spend $100 per day on tips and drinks. If it's because one is buying lots of drinks at the bar, Radisson shouldn't save much, since bar drinks aren't included. By all means, choose Radisson for luxury, food, large accommodations, and free wine with dinner. As for the other "nickel and dime" charges, everyone is different, and you'll have to judge for yourself how much you'd save on Radisson.

$32 per day for bottled water? If you won't drink the ship's water, bring some onboard and replenish it in the ports.

To clarify, our high drink bill was for non alcoholic drinks and water. When it is hot in the Caribbean and bottled water is $5, and soft drinks are similarly priced, it does not take long to run up a bill!

But my point above was this: Regardless of consumption of things that are free on Radisson and extra on HAL, the mere booking of a 300 sq. ft. balcony suite is cheaper on Radisson for a 7 night Alaska cruise, without even considering beverages, tips, and such.

On the subject of alcoholic beverages, a wide assortment, not just wine, is available gratis in the dining room at dinner, and it seems there is always a cocktail party going on with gratis drinks. And then there is the gratis suite mini bar on Radisson stocked with two liters of liquor you select. At other times drinks in the bars are at extra cost (though not as high as some lines). We must confess that, after seven Radisson cruises, we've bought two drinks total in the bar. After all, just how much can one drink?

Thanks,

Having sailed on Seabourn and on HAL I can tell you that there is no copmparison in terms of the quality of the experience. I am assuming RSSC (on which we are sailing Voyager to the Baltics) is comparagle to Seabourn. Frankly, I would not take another HAL cruise if they gave it to me for free. The service was miserable, the food was poor to mediocre and I do not like waiting on line for everything, nor do I like feeling like I am part of a cattle call. I do not like eating off a tray two times a day and waiting on line for my food. Room service on HAL was a joke. When it came, which was not often, it was pitiful. I could go on and on. Trust me, take RSSC over HAL. You will not be sory.

JoanandJoe suggest: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> $32 per day for bottled water? If you won't drink the ship's water, bring some onboard and replenish it in the ports. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the great thing about Radisson. The basics of life are simply included. I can't imagine boarding with an armload of bottled water; who wants to do that? I would drink the ship's water but it usually tastes unpleasantly odd to me.

Where and when are you going in November? If it's on the Mariner on the 12th, we can continue this debate in person, over a free club soda. :-)

MarnaLou

This is a good issue...I cruise about 10 times a year...I also have some friends who cruise as frequently as myself and we can't stand having not spending out money with Radisson.

I have to say that last week I did sail on HAL's Zuiderdam and thought it to be quite exceptional; not Radisson, but very well done. The ship was beautiful, fresh flowers everywhere, SS Suite (354 square feet), good prices and EXCELLENT service. But NOT Radisson.

However, at the end of the day (I hate that saying, but) I would have spent less with Radisson. I sailed with my brother (on the Zuiderdam) and it ended up costing much more than if we were to book an H category on the Voyager, for example. Why? We like to drink at the bars, have our laundry done frequently, tip heavily, and have fun which costs...

I am a one-time Radisson sailer having been on the Voyager last November. It was a most glorious cruise I have ever been on. The ship, the crew, the style and the class were sterling...but, I have to tell you the food was not much better than what we had on the Zuiderdam - sorry.

Voyager's Veranda was special as was room service. Room service on RSSC is second to none...Duck at 3AM, no one can compare, period. The Oddysey (alternative dining) on the Zuiderdam was also special.

The suite (RSSC), the fit anf finish - well this is something incomparable...as close to perfection as anything sailing today...

Lastly, as I do frequently travel as a single, the RSSC single rates on many cruises are again, second to none.

I am a loyalist but love cruising and can't stay away from a ship for long...if you are looking for a Radisson experience on Holland America for example, it's not there (abeit there are some nice touches with the HAL brand)...I will sail when the time is right regardless of the line...however, I will sail with Radisson again when the time is right because the RSSC product represents the best of the best...at any price...

We just returned from Navigator on our first Radisson cruise and were most impressed. Since we don't drink wine with dinner, we still found Radisson well worth the extra cost because the food, service, entertainment and cabins were far superior to all the other cruise lines we have sailed.

The only area we found wanting was the dance music in the Galileo and Seven Seas lounges to be not up to the musicians we have experienced on HAL, NCL and Princess.

I did 16 days On Radisson in April and my onboard account was 232.00. On HAL or Celebrity it would have been much, much higher.

Since I sail solo most of the time, the biggest factor for me is the single supplement. The single supplement on the two Radisson sailings was 99.00 per sailing.

Celebrity, HAL, or any of the "mass-market" cruiselines cannot come close to the Radisson experience..................

Celebrity Galaxy 10/18 and 10/25/04

Seven Seas Mariner 12/17/04

Seven Seas Navigator 1/8/05

Too Much of a Good Thing Can Be Wonderful!

Here's another pro-Radisson comment of a different type. I like to buy local beers in port and sample thm on my balcony, the way some like to sample local wines. Starting about June, 2001, the mass market lines became more and more strict about carry on beverages, to the point that I just can't do that anymore on most lines. With Radisson, no problem. This is admittedly a small thing, but a good cruise (to me) is made up of a collection of small things.

Thanks,

We just returned from Navigator with Dolphins.

Hello Trivia Partner!! I'm saving my chips for the next few cruises. Send us an email, keep in touch. bmct@comcast.net Bob and Frances

One of us drinks wine with dinner. That would cost $15 for two or three glasses. Plus, cocktails in the dining room at dinner, after-dinner drinks in the dining room, even one per person, saves $13.00. You can take your drinks from the dining room to the show lounge. No charge for any drink under $8.50.

So, for us, thats $28 a day saved.

Tipping, $20 per day.

Internet package, $6 per hour, $40 for 10 hrs.

Pretty cheap. I used my ten hours. Thats 42 cents a minute less than RCI.

Crystal is charging $30 a day for 3 hrs a day,

or $10 per hour. At 10 hrs, I saved $40

Coke, $1.50 a can on HAL or RCI. Bottled water, say 2 per day on shore days, $5.00.

Free laundromat. Celebrity doesn't have laundromats. Carnival charges for them. I may be on vacation and not want to do chores, but using the free machines for undies and socks saves me $10 a week.

The food -- oh, my. Saves $25 per person on specialty restaurants on Carnival, or $6 per person on Crystal. We actually left more on Crystal, so that saves at least $50 a week. On Carnival we had to go to the specialty restaurant to get good food. The steaks in the dining room must have been made from shoe leather.

So, what do we have? For two people:

Wine, liquor 7 days x $28 $196

bottled water, coke 5 35

tips ( min ) 150

internet 40

laundry 10

specialty restaurant 50

That's $300 a couple for one week, and that's a conservative guess.

Plus, the minimum suite on Navigator is 300 sq ft, compared with a type A on Crystal, 284 sq ft, or type B on Ryndam/Maasdam, which are smaller.

You get more value for money on RSSC.

bmct

Hi,

we drink lots of soft drinks and found that to a good saving. RSSC doesn't pretend to be cheap but there are so many advantages. I took back all clean clothes from our last cruise - no charge for the soap or power. I don't want to spend all my holiday adding up what I am spending - so like RSSC. Excursions cheaper on RSSC [and many American lines] than with British P & O [even without the exchange rate thing]. I'm hooked on RSSC now and looking forward to our sector of the world cruise next Easter [Dubai to Rome]. icon_smile.gif

Teresa

Been away on a short family trip to Colorado, and return to find all of these very helpful replies. Thank you icon_smile.gif You made this easy, especially with such concrete #'s as bmct's post icon_smile.gif

Later this month, I hope to tabulate all of these and see what the numbers total. To make it fun, I think I will total them for 2 types of travelers: my wife and I (who happen to not drink), and my brother & wife, who do.

And I have to restate again the hopefully obvious disclaimer that this will total dollar amounts which woefully ignores non-monetary quality differences. icon_wink.gif

Island Princess 1983

Dawn Princess 1998

Ocean Princess 2002

Enchantment of the Seas 3/04

sdf89:

When you do your tabulations for persons who do not drink alcoholic beverages, make sure you include the fact that ALL non-alcoholic beverages are gratis on Radisson. I say this, because we DO drink alcoholic beverages, but find the greater portion of our ship's bill on the "nickel and diming" lines to actually be for non-alcoholic beverages.

Thanks,

Thanks for the thoughts, Marna Lou. Joe has a very ill Father, and all vacation plans are on hold for the moment. We hope to sail on Radisson, Silversea or Seabourn in November; but are afraid that, by the time our uncertainly has cleared up, we won't even be able to get a cruise on Celebvrity or HAL, much less the good lines.

Joan - so sorry to hear that Joe's father is very ill. My mother-in-law's health has given us several scares in the last few years (she will be 88 in October) and in 2002 I cancelled vacation plans that were in the works. Now I just go ahead and make plans including trip insurance. We could end up missing vacations for several years if we put everything on hold. I hope that didn't sound harsh, we do co-ordinate our vacation times with my husband's brother and his wife so that we're not all gone at the same time.

Archived