Can you buy cigarettes on ship?

din2play2

When sailed last I had bought my cigarettes on ship which was much cheaper. We will be sailing on Gem in April and I am wondering if they still sell them and if anyone knows about how many cartons you are allowed to buy and for how much, (approx.) or should I bring my own? :rolleyes:

Cigarettes are available in the duty free shop. I am unaware of any limits on the number of cartons you can buy. Sorry I have no idea of cost but because they are duty free - chances are they will be cheaper than what you pay at home.

Rochelle

You can buy as much as you want, but you can only bring back one duty-free carton. Anything over that, and you could be required by CBP to pay duty/IRT on it ($10/carton). If it's a small amount over, some wave it, some don't.

If u sail from Texas there is a $15 state tax per carton upon return.

That's good... but the Gem sails from NYC... so that won't apply.

The amount of cigarettes you can bring home depends on where your cruise goes... If you go to St. Thomas, you can bring up to 5 cartons home per person. If you don't go to St. Thomas, you can only bring one per person.

These rules will be explained to you on board as well :)

Enjoy!

I quit some time ago, but before that I always found the cartons on board to be stale. Very stale.

LOL they fly off the shelves on the GEM. NY prices are over a $100 a carton. On the ship they are about $30. The technical rule is that you are only allowed one carton of duty free reimported cigs per adult. But its rarely enforced. They don't collect state taxes on the overage but its $10.06 Federal excise taxes...rarely collected on the GEM.

There is higher amount if you buy them at the US insular possessions.

from Know before you go.

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

"you may include 1,000 cigarettes within your $1,600 duty-free exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam). Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. If you have more than 1,000 cigarettes, the remaining will be dutiable at a flat rate of 1.5% and subject to Internal Revenue Service taxes."

But as I said the rules aren't enforced....really.

Edited by smeyer418

I was last on the Breakaway in may of this year and I bought 3 cartoons of Newports. I paid $45 per Carton.

yep the prices are up on the Breakaway. In the Islands you can get cigs for as low as $12 per carton ...but those might be locally licensed cartons and not ones made in the USA for export.

After you get them, you'd best try to find a place to smoke 'em. It's getting harder and harder to find places to light up. You can't smoke in your cabin, (on any ship), and soon you won't be able to smoke on your balcony, (on NCL) Glad I gave 'em up 30 years ago, hack, hack, choke, choke. hahahaha. btw, the Marlboros are always fresh.

Are you saying that you can buy smokes on the Gem and they will let you take them back to your cabin, or do they keep them to the last day of the cruise.

they let you take them with you. No ship I have been on makes you leave them until the last day.