MS Ryndam help please

ron1946

Looking at Jan 18th 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on MS Ryndam from Tampa. The itinerary is as follows: Key West; Banana Coast, Honduras; Santo Tomas, Guatamala; Costa Maya, Mexico ; Tampa. This appears to be a much smaller ship than we have cruised on before. Anyone have any comments regarding this itinerary or this ship in particular. TIA!

I sailed on the Ryndam for 3 weeks June 2014 Dover to Norway and back. I found it to be a wonderful ship. We had about 1250 passengers and it never seemed crowded. Many of the crew learned my name by the end of the first week and would greet me with "Good Morning/Afternoon Mum Elsie. How are you today?" There are plenty of public spaces to relax in. If you have specific questions, I will try to answer them.

Looking at Jan 18th 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on MS Ryndam from Tampa. The itinerary is as follows: Key West; Banana Coast, Honduras; Santo Tomas, Guatamala; Costa Maya, Mexico ; Tampa. This appears to be a much smaller ship than we have cruised on before. Anyone have any comments regarding this itinerary or this ship in particular. TIA!

We like the Ryndam. Do you have specific concerns?

Did a similar itinerary but we got Roatan instead of Banana Coast (which is a purpose-built tourism stop, I think). In Costa Maya we did the Chacchober Ruins tour with The Native Choice. Very good. The next time we went to Costa Maya we grabbed a cab outside the tourism village and spent the day at Mahahual (sp?). Gorgeous beach, good restaurants.

In Santo Tomas we did a private tour. There's a large building right at the port area where the locals sell crafts, some really nice stuff. I wouldn't go wandering around on my own outside the port area. IMHO you need to be on some kind of tour.

I enjoyed my March 2014 cruise on the Ryndam so much that I'm doing it again in March 2015. It's a great ship -- one of my two favorites ever (Celebrity Reflection is the other). The service was really outstanding, the food was very good, and the itinerary was great -- especially Santo Tomas, Guatemala, which has the best shopping (and the nicest vendors) that I've ever found at a port. They sell wonderful local crafts, reasonably priced, and it's a very short walk from the ship.

We did the Christmas cruise on the Ryndam in December 2013 and enjoyed it very much. Good size ship, crew was great. We did the trolley tour in Santo Tomas, not much to do if you don't take a tour, except for the excellent vendors right at the port. We had Coxen Hole instead of the Banana Coast. My SIL had Mahogany Bay in Feb on the Ryndam.

for us it is the perfect size ship and we enjoyed ourselves. We had an inside cabin. if you have specific questions, I will try to answer them. Mama Lou was on our cruise and if she is still sailing, she may be on yours. Quite the character.

Tampa is a great port for embarkation and disembarkation. it is not very big and doesn't take long to get cleared. As Canadians, we did have to preclear on the ship the morning of disembarkation, not sure why, because we also had to clear again once we got into the terminal, although that was very fast.

Edited by superoma

I booked this a month ago, all new ports for me. I heard that you can only book Princess excursions. Looking foward to sailing her, will also be the smallest ship for us.

I don't think HAL would make you book Princess excursions (typo maybe).

You can book HAL excursions or independent. Your choice.

Our love affair with cruising began on the Ryndam - they say you "never forget your first" ;)

We haven't had the opportunity to sail her since but will again someday. I think you'll love her. She's plenty big enough to spread folks out to not feel cramped but intimate enough to feel a sense of community. Have a toast for us in the Crow's Nest?!

We spent 30 days on this ship to the S. Pacific, loved it. Have been on the other HAL ships which are similar, like this size. Wanted to do one more cruise before it goes to Australia. We have also done a similar itinerary and enjoyed it, so have booked the cruise you mentioned. The previous week we will be going to the W. Caribbean on NCL Sun which only goes to one of the same ports as Ryndam.

If you like the ships that are massive floating shopping areas with climbing walls, belly flop competitions, outdoor film screens, 4 to 5 k other passengers, then you will not like Ryndam.

If you like traditional cruising with a ship with wooden handrails, one that you stroll around the promenade deck, lovely furnishings, sedate feel then the ryndam is for you.

It was too sedate for us but if the choice was between the two options then Ryndam for us.

Mrs Banjo & I have sailed twice on Ryndam, both time this IT. This is a good lets get warm cruise for the mid winter blues. We always enjoy Key West. You really don't need an excursion if you are a good walker, just get a walking map and off you go. St Thomas DeCastilo, be sure you take one of the tours. the tourist center is nice and has some interesting items on sale. Going off on your own in this port might be more adventurous then you expect. Never been to the Banana Cost, so cannot comment on this.

Over all we enjoyed the trip.

I don't think HAL would make you book Princess excursions (typo maybe).

You can book HAL excursions or independent. Your choice.

LOL! Definitely a typo. Sorry about that, For the first time I have 2 cruises in the queue and got confused. What I meant to say is I heard that they recommend doing a tour or staying in the port area.

We are also booked on the Ryndam cruise on Jan. 18. This will be our 3rd time on the Ryndam out of Tampa. Love the small size ship and can't wait to sail on this itinerary with at least 1 new port.

So sad that this ship is going to the P & O line and will be based in Australia. HAL fans of smaller ships are losing our options.

Re: Carnival Corp. said it will transfer two of Holland America Line's ships, the Ryndam and Statendam, to its P&O Australia subsidiary to capitalize on growth prospects in that country. The ships will depart the HAL fleet in November 2015.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Two-Holland-America-ships-will-move-to-P-O-Australia/

Just sayin': Since Holland America is losing the Ryndam next year, they may not be putting a lot of effort/money into any extra unnecessary maintenance/repairs/upgrades, etc. The ship could be a little "run down" on cruises next year.

On the positive side I do kind of like the unique itinerary. There aren't very many ports in the Caribbean that I haven't been to, but Banana Coast and Santo Tomas are two of them.

We enjoyed our june 2013 trip to Norway, 14 great days. I prefer Ryndam to the much ballyhooed Prinsendam and the Ryndam per diem was roughly half price compared to the PDam. It is an older ship and ongoing maintenance could be skipped since the ship is leaving the fleet.

Forgot to say, I would stay on the ship at Santo Tomas. We went on the Trolley. Total waste of time the place has nothing. Why they call there is a puzzle.

We sailed Ryndam in Dec., 2012 and stopped at Santo Tomas. Could not disagree more with your statement. Strongly recommend the Go with Gus river tour. One of the most fantastic days we've ever spent!

Have any of you been to the Banana Coast?

LuLu

\

No..

We've never been to the port of Trujillo on the Banana Coast..NCL goes there & it looks quite interesting..They are in the process of building a two ship dock there so it may become more popular..

The Ryndam was the first HAL ship DH & our good Friends all cruised together on back in 1998, & we've all had two more on her since then..

It might be fun to have one last cruise on the Ryndam, for us all to say goodby..Must convince DH & our Friends to do it..Hmm maybe I should work on this! Wish me luck..:)