How to best KIT with kids left behind?!?!

Reneeaz1982

My husband and I will be cruising solo in October! NO KIDS ALLOWED!!! :D The kids will be remaining home in AZ with grandparents.

We will be on the Glory going to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I understand that our cell phones should be turned off to avoid outrageous charges. My question is, how is the best way to keep in touch with my parents and the kids? IE.....quick check-ins every day or every other day to make sure everything is ok on the homestead!

Thanks in advance!

We don't check in. We have done a couple cruises without them and have found its easier for them and for us if we don't call. The kids enjoy their time with grandparents and we enjoy our adult time and we know if something major comes up they have the emergency number to call the ship.

Internet cafe -

Fleetwide Pricing

• 480 minutes for $159

• 240 minutes for $89

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/minute

Printing – available in the Internet Cafe

I may be wrong as things have changed since last year BUT I did use the carnival currently on board board and it did not cost me a thing as i was on the carnival web site while on board. If you use the currently on board forum on the carnival web site a) have a very unique title to start off with so you can find it very easy B) it is a public forum so every one can read it . c) your kids can leave you messages and you can reply to them

Access to carnival.com is free onboard.

There is a message board under community-forums called 'Currently Onboard'.

Very similar to CC. Must be registered to post.

We set it up ahead of time and email the link to family.

Internet is painfully slow onboard. Do not let them post pic. They take forever to load.

Calling from your cabin is $1.99/minute. Cheaper than using your cellphone at $2.49/minute.

We don't check in. We have done a couple cruises without them and have found its easier for them and for us if we don't call. The kids enjoy their time with grandparents and we enjoy our adult time and we know if something major comes up they have the emergency number to call the ship.

This

Access to carnival.com is free onboard.

There is a message board under community-forums called 'Currently Onboard'.

Very similar to CC. Must be registered to post.

We set it up ahead of time and email the link to family.

Internet is painfully slow onboard. Do not let them post pic. They take forever to load.

Calling from your cabin is $1.99/minute. Cheaper than using your cellphone at $2.49/minute.

Perfect! Thank you.

Due to circumstances I need to be able to check in for emergencies. But I do understand what you all are saying regarding not checking in. We will be enjoying without worry.

If they (or caregivers) text or do internet, that is your best bet. I know what you mean about needing to check in. We left our 3 year old behind in March with her grandparents. AT&T had a plan with Celebrity so we were able to get a calling plan. Cell service was spotty at best even with that plan and cellular at sea. Unfortunately MIL and FIL don't text or have internet, so that was not much of an option for us. So we were pretty much limited to calls. From what I understand, texting is not too outrageous. And you can get an internet package and do Facebook or email. Internet rates are a little high IMO, but for piece of mind it may be worth it.

If you have a smartphone I highly recommend getting a text free app. What we typically do is buy a internet package. We will connect long enough to download all the messages, read them, compose a reply and connect again to send. The same concept can be used for emailing but texting was faster because we didn't have to wait for all the other unrelated emails to download.

The only thing to note is those apps don't normally support picture text.

My husband and I will be cruising solo in October! NO KIDS ALLOWED!!! :D The kids will be remaining home in AZ with grandparents.

We will be on the Glory going to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I understand that our cell phones should be turned off to avoid outrageous charges. My question is, how is the best way to keep in touch with my parents and the kids? IE.....quick check-ins every day or every other day to make sure everything is ok on the homestead!

Thanks in advance!

We contacted our cell provider in advance and paid $25 for unlimited roaming charges. It was well worth it to know the family could contact us at any time. We checked in every other day with them. And they called us occasionally with a few questions. After we returned-we had to call again to disconnect it, which was easy to do.

Post on the Carnival web site under currently on board thread. That will just be a small charge for the internet time on the ship...:cool:

Actually, there is NO CHARGE at all to do this! We have done it several times. Just make sure the Grandparents have a log in and know where to go to find the forum. You need a log in as well. Go to the carnival site, and under their forums, there is a "currently on board" message board. That is where you will find each others post.

Just go to the fun hub on board the ship, and the carnival website is always up and free. Just log in, post your message or read theirs, and you are done. Of course, the internet is SUPER slow. And don't forget to log off before you walk away.

Our last cruise, we checked in every day, at least once a day, with my daughter who was at home.

You can even test it out now, between you and the grand parents to make sure you both know exactly where to go to post your messages.

Have a great cruise!!

We left our kids home with grandma on our last cruise. The phone in your cabin is the most economical way to check in. It's $1.99/min, billed to your sail and sign. Our check-ins were QUICK, I'm talking: hi, we're ok, are you guys ok, great, talk to you in the morning. A couple calls weren't even a minute long, and I noticed we didn't get charged for them! :D We never called from our cell in port, too expensive. I did try to call home from Cozumel, since it was only .99/min, but I could never get a signal. (ATT) Hope this helps. :)

We have used cell phones several times onboard and in port. I think the most we have spent is $30 on fees. Just easiest for us. Text is only .50 to send. Notify your cell company before leaving the country. You can also find free wifi in most ports then you can use Facebook or email or even skype.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't comment on your circumstance because I don't know it, but when we sailed alone we didn't check in (it was our honeymoon). We could have done so in Key West but opted not to.

We left written and notarized consent for our children's caregiver to make medical decisions in the case of any emergency and we went on our way. I hope you have done this even if you are checking in, as it would be hours before you can make it back.

We leave our kids with someone we trust completely. The kids love spending time at their house. If one of them was sick or injured, I wouldn't want anyone waiting to contact me before making decisions. So absolutely no need to check in. If there was some dire emergency, then the ship can be contacted. We do leave permission for medical care and let their schools know who to contact while we are away. The kids have their own little vacation without mom and dad butting in. :D

Op I'm with you on the checking in. We've left the kids behind a few times with someone very reliable but would still check in a few times during the cruise just for a piece of mind. We went the texting route. .50 to send and .15 to receive.

We contacted our cell provider in advance and paid $25 for unlimited roaming charges. It was well worth it to know the family could contact us at any time. We checked in every other day with them. And they called us occasionally with a few questions. After we returned-we had to call again to disconnect it, which was easy to do.

Which carrier has unlimited international roaming for $25? I may switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Many of you mention texting being the best route? Are you only able to text at ports? Also, I have read it is best to turn your cell phone off in order to avoid roaming charges? How exactly do you go about texting so it's only $0.50/ text.

I have Tmobile and husband is on Verizon?

I really appreciate all the suggestions!