Earliest Time To Book Flights From London to U.S.

emeyers

We'll be sailing on the Constellation next July to and from Dover. We are thinking of booking air on our own out of London, either from Gatwick or Heathrow.

Disembarkment is in Dover. Any ideas, on the earliest time we should book our return flight? What has been your experience?

The only direct flight to my local airport I have seen, leaves Gatwick at 11:25 a.m

Ellis

I have never disembarked in Dover, but do keep in mind that it is just over an hour from Dover into the city of London. Security is also very tight at the airports there, so make sure you allow at least 3 hours from the pier to your flight time.

Last summer we got to Heathrow around noon using Celebrity's bus from the Constellation in Dover. There was tons of traffic and we took an alternate route, and "it could have been worse". From entering Heathrow you could easily have to walk a mile or more to your gate, plus security, so take that into mind. We had scheduled a Sunday 3PMish flight home, but figured we'd look into Standing By on the Saturday flight since we were there in time and did get on, which was nice, but I never would have scheduled our return flight for that day

The rule of thumb was not to book a flight any earlier than 1pm, however, that was prior to increased security resulting from recent terror attacks in London - check-in and security may take a bit longer now. Last year we returned to Dover on the Constellation and flew out of Heathrow at 4:30. We had way too much time to kill between arriving at the airport and our departure time. This year we did the same cruise but booked a 2:30 flight out of Heathrow and it was perfect timing.

We just finished a cruise that ended in Dover, and had to decide whether to take a flight that left at 1:05 pm. We ended up deciding to stay an additional day in London, and flying out the next day.

It's a good thing we made the decision we did, since while we were on the cruise, the London Tube bombings (#2 and #3, anyway) occurred. Security at the airport was incredibly tight and thorough. The British Air ticket agents were strictly enforcing the baggage weight limits, so people were repacking bags at the ticket counter with their bags on the scales--that really slowed things up. And, it seemed about a mile from the ticket counters to the gate.

Combine these facts with your statement that there is only one non-stop plane to your destination; my guess is that that flight is FULLY booked in the busy summer travel season, and if you miss the flight, it might be a few days before there would be vacant seats for your party on the same flight. Oh, and you'll have to pay for hotels for those days, PLUS the difference in your advance-purchase airfare and the walk-up-to-the-counter-and-buy-a-ticket airfare.

Too many things will have to go perfectly for you to make that flight, and the cost and inconvenience of being wrong will be exceedingly high. So, having done it myself recently, I'd say to take the flight the next day.

Cheers.

I would not risk such an early departure from Gatwick. As everyone says, we have tightened up on our security and ideally you should be at the airport at least 2.5 hours before departure. We have read the UK authorities may be about to increase that to 3 hours for all inter-continental. The other thing to bear in mind, the road out of Dover is good for traffic jams as is the roads into either Heathrow or Gatwick. Both just need a minor bump on them to snarl up for an hour or so - and there are no alternatives.

Not sure when in July you are returning home, but if it is any time after 14th and it is a Saturday that is the peak time for our holiday departures. Gatwick is not only an airport that does scheduled flights, it has a terminal that is used for "package holidays" to Europe. Every one of these families on the flights (peak day Saturday) have to get into GAtwick using the same route as you will be.

Do I paint a pretty picture? I would suggest identifying somewhere nearer Gatwick in the lovely Kent countryside to stay for an extra night, or alternatively, do a day trip around Canterbury and Kent and then check into one of the airport hotels on the night before your flight. You will be much more relaxed than spoiling the end of the holiday with hassle:)

Thank you for the fine suggestions. At this point, unless we get a flight out of Gatwick or Heathrow no later than 1:15, there are not any flights which would get me back to Tampa, Fl. until after midnight, and we would still have a 3 hour trip to get home, I will have to spend a day at a hotel near Gatwick. Any suggestions as I'm not familiar with that area.

Ellis

Ellis: we have a 9:45 am flight out of Gatwick. I purposely picked this flight so we can get back to Kansas City at a decent hour, and drive 1 hour to home. We are touring Southern UK after our QM2 cruise, and will stay the night prior to our flight right in the airport at LaMeridian hotel. It will just be a walk (long one too) from hotel to gate starting at around 6:30 am. There are also hotels in the town of Gatwick and Crowley.

Grace

I have also been looking at Orlando. Virgin Atlantic has direct flights to and from Gatwick, The problem is that the return flights leave 11:15 a.m 12:30 p.m. and the final flight of the day leaves Gatwick at 1 p.m. for Orlando. None to Tampa. Thus far I haven't seen better times on other airlines than those from and to Tampa.

The problem thus far is that the flights after 1 p.m. from London all have connections and do not get me back to Tampa or Orlando until midnight or later.

Have you seen anything with better times?

Ellis

This afternoon I called the Custom Air department. The earliest flight they will approve from Gatwick is 12:45 for those disembarking from Dover. They will not accept a request for custom air until 9 months prior to the cruise.

It looks as though I'll change my gateway city from Tampa to Orlando and take the 1 p.m. flight out of Gatwick. It may be tight, but Virgin Atlantic has 3 flights leaving the next day--11:15 p.m. 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. This will allow me to fly nonstop to and from London.

Ellis

Archived