MSC - first time cruisers - any tips from the experts?

Tracy & Paul - Adelaid

Hi everyone,

We are about to embark on our first MSC cruise out of Venice on the 31st of august and were wondering if any previous MSC Cruisers had any helpful tips for us?

We have only sailed with Royal Caribbean before, so we are not sure how different other cruises liners are?

Also, on RC we were able to take onboards 2 750ml bottles of wine/bubbles per cabin for sail away, do you know if we can do this on MSC?

Getting excited now......... 8 sleeps........ Eeeeeeee

Also, would anyone recommend the drinks packages or would it be better to pay as you go?

Hi Tracy & Paul.

Depends how much you you drink. Personally we get the package because we prefer to know how much we're going to spend, even if that's more than paying as you go. Having said that we usually get our money's worth.

Haven't sailed RC yet so can't compare, but the experience on MSC is more European. I would say different, but others, especially Americans say its bad service. Only you can decide if you'll enjoy that or not.

Officially, no drink to be brought onboard, but you could give it a try. Confiscated if found.

Hi Tracy & Paul,

If your question is about MSC Divina near sister ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Preziosa) -ships are radically different from RCI. The list of diferencies will fill a book, so simply follow my MSC Divina Confidential Review - a detailed description of the ship and a lot of comparisons.

We never buy drinks packages - not big drinkers.

Pay as you go is our option.

no alcohol is allowed to be brought on. Venice is a spectacular port, your sail away and when you return are unbelievable. Unlike the HAL cruise ship which looked like a ghost ship everyone was our and looking very happy.

as far as the drink package we were in the YC so we did not need to buy a package..

I have been on RCI, follow the ships more similar than not, the theater is better on MSC but no drinks sold in the theater. Unlike the VOS there is a swimming pool that is enclosed if weather is bad.

The buffet is bigger than VOS, but most people tend to fight for the stations near the door, but if you walk in you will find plenty of room. English is the minority language so bring plenty of reading material.

MSC does not make frequent announcements are few so check your daily planner. Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by alexkrn46

Hi. Hope you will have a couple of days in Venice beforehand or after. Strictly speaking, no alcohol can be brought onboard but ....! As for drinks, at €23 pppd the Allegrissimo package is well worth it if you drink a few per day or like coffee/ice cream/bottles of water etc. Enjoy!

Hi Tracy and Paul! You are going to have a GREAT time! My husband and I sailed out of Venice on the Preziosa last month and had the best time! There is a link to my review in my signature.

If I was you, I'd definitely get the drinks package. It's relaxing not to have to think about each purchase and there are some pretty interesting and delicious drinks on the menu. It won't take much to get your money's worth!

Hope you have a fabulous time!

Kat from NZ

Hi Tracy and Paul

I've done 2 European cruises...one on RC and this summer on Armonia out of Venice. The MSC cruise was very different than RC....mostly to do with many different languages being spoken and the cultural differences in passengers. Just expecting this will help you enjoy your cruise more! You can't bring on any alcohol. I ordered what wine I could for the room and did a wine package for the MDR. The service in the MDR is not entertainment based as on American lines but we enjoyed the food. The hours for the buffets are not 24/7 and the food gets repetitive and is sometimes a little "strange" for Americans. I found it easier to embrace the Italian cuisine and to stay away from their version of American food (like the burgers). Italians don't wait in lines and they can come off rude. We just went with it and laughed it off. But seriously, you do have to be aggressive when you have a reason to be in a "line" or they'll just push right in front of you! Loved our cruise! Have a great time.

Think most points have been covered. If you are on Preziosa make sure you try the water slide. The garden pool is a great spot. If you don't do all inc drinks, buy the voucher books. If they sell the all inc carnet they work out the best, but not sure they are sold in Europe. Our last cruise was from Brazil. Drinks are cheaper than RCI. There are two spa pools aft on the top deck, which are usually quiet and good areas for sitting away from the masses. Enjoy!

To us, buying the allegrissimo just doesn't pay off. We bought the vouchers instead.

We had sailed with Royal Caribbean once before, and enjoyed both experiences, so just try to have fun!

If the buffet is too full during the day, consider going to the MDR. I can't do that since my partner is a buffet-addict, and the terms and conditions of our travel agreement specifies dining in the MDR and eating in the buffet for breakfast and lunch :D

Sorry just to pick up on the buffet opening times. It is not open 24/7, but close to it. Can't remember exactly, but something like 6 am until 2 am. On RCI there is always Sorentos etc, but their buffet hours are much less and there are times when it is closed during the day unlike MSC. I didn't find the food any more repetitive than RCI, but 100% agree that you should stick to the typical Italian food. Burgers and steaks are not so great.

Hi Alex, I'm not sure what that means, could you elaborate, thanks!

He means what it says. Passengers onboard who speak English are in a very small minority, so people should not expect to find plenty of books in English to read. The Divina sailing out of the US will be a different matter but the Opal is sailing form Venice where the bulk of the passengers will be Italian and German.

Also, would anyone recommend the drinks packages or would it be better to pay as you go?

I certainly would recommend it. At €23 pp per day it is great value even for light to moderate drinkers. Pre booking means you avoid the 15% service charge added to drinks ordered onboard. It covers most cocktails, soft drinks, drinks from the juice BR (they have some great ones) water, the good coffees and gelato by the cone or tub.

A couple of coffees a few bottles of water a drink before and Fter dinner and you've got your money's worth.

Which ship are you sailing on?

I can't comment on how it will compare to RCI except the obvious that the latter caters for Americans and MDC doesn't in the MEd, it is catering to Italians.

Hope you cN spend some time in Venice but be warned it is fiercely expensive and a bit of a logistical nightmare getting around with luggage, so pick your hotel location with cRe. You don't want to be having to heave heVy luggage over several bridge (and a lot have steps rather than an easy slope).

Sorry just to pick up on the buffet opening times. It is not open 24/7, but close to it. Can't remember exactly, but something like 6 am until 2 am. On RCI there is always Sorentos etc, but their buffet hours are much less and there are times when it is closed during the day unlike MSC. I didn't find the food any more repetitive than RCI, but 100% agree that you should stick to the typical Italian food. Burgers and steaks are not so great.

The Armonia buffets closed everyday for a few hours between all meals and after dinner. Must vary by ship. You could usually get pizza or the grill station at the other odd hours.

The Armonia buffets closed everyday for a few hours between all meals and after dinner. Must vary by ship. You could usually get pizza or the grill station at the other odd hours.

There should be somewhere to get food other than room service ( which is 24 hrs at an extra cost eccept for breakfast which is free for fanastica experience and above) for 20 hrs per day, as that is company policy as given in The "MSC PRODUCT BOOK"

link here

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Multimedia/Multimedia-Brochure.aspx

dining.jpg

I would recommend the ALLEGRISIMO package at the current european price of €23 pppn even though I and my wife are both light drinkers when you take in to account the fresh squeezed OJ at breakfasts, soft drinks during the day , water to take on excursions, a glass of wine and a bottle of water with dinner, coffee after dinner, the odd cocktail in the evening and the occasional icecream we were beter off by at least 50% (€ 509.25 "spent" on drinks etc, cost of package €322, actually 58% better off) These are genuine figures from my last 7 day cruise. i've just added up all the dockets in my cruise file as i write this.

If you include the 15% service charge that would have ben applied the actual savings are even better

spend wiith !5% added on = €586.64 (82% savings)

The other fact nobody has mnetioned is that the MDR is open for all breakfasts and lunches, so no need to run the gauntlet of the buffet at all if you don't want.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

He means what it says. Passengers onboard who speak English are in a very small minority, so people should not expect to find plenty of books in English to read. The Divina sailing out of the US will be a different matter but the Opal is sailing form Venice where the bulk of the passengers will be Italian and German.

OK, I understand English is the minority, but, I didn't think he was referring to the books in the library.

We like to watch tv but since we only speak English hard to do, when I can not watch tv I go on the internet, which is expensive, so I made sure I had books and DVDs for my down time.

And, it turns out he WAS NOT talking about the books in the library. I was afraid he meant we would not understand the activities, etc. Thanks to both of you for answering my question. ;)

Well, you'll understand the entertainment...English is one of the languages but sometimes you have a long wait while they repeat everything in all the other languages! It's quite amazing how multilingual the entertainment staff is

We are about to embark on our first MSC cruise out of Venice on the 31st of august

Have a great trip - and when you get back, can you let us know how you went?

We are also Aussies heading for our first MSC cruise (in April '15) ... and are looking for tips :-)

Cheers

Graham (and Shirley) in Brisneyland

• 3 weeks later...