Internet, streaming? Vision OTS

I am taking an online class Fall semester and also going on Vision for 9 days in November. I was planning on just getting anything due during that time in early - silly me!

I just got a peek at the syllabus and there is a required presentation while I am away. Of course!!! We use Blackboard Collaborate. This will be a group project/presentation so everything but my interaction will already be on Blackboard.

Questions:

How reliable is Vision's internet?

Can I access Blackboard from the ship's terminals or must I use my laptop? (I will bring my own anyway, plus mic)

Can I stream audio/video?

Is there an unlimited internet package on Vision?

I am taking an online class Fall semester and also going on Vision for 9 days in November. I was planning on just getting anything due during that time in early - silly me!

I just got a peek at the syllabus and there is a required presentation while I am away. Of course!!! We use Blackboard Collaborate. This will be a group project/presentation so everything but my interaction will already be on Blackboard.

Questions:

How reliable is Vision's internet?

Can I access Blackboard from the ship's terminals or must I use my laptop? (I will bring my own anyway, plus mic)

Can I stream audio/video?

Is there an unlimited internet package on Vision?

Internet on the ships is akin to dialup, if you're old enough to remember those days. Just loading webpages like cnn or espn can take a long time. Streaming? I'd say forget about it.

I have no idea about blackboard collaborate. If it´s a Website it should be accessible from their Computers, if it´s something that Needs to be installed on the local machine - nope. Also if you Need to upload anything the RCI Computers are not accessible at all, so there´s no USB ports, CD/DVD drive or any other way to connect to them.

As others have said, you might be able to stream but it´s rather unlikely. While the often stated "it´s like dial-up" is certainly wrong these days it´s most of the time not fast enough for Streaming purposes.

Blackboard is a website. Collaborate might need a download but I have it already on my laptop. The presentation will be Powerpoint (I believe) and will already be loaded on Blackboard. The audio is most important. If no audio is not possible I can text responses to the site. Not ideal, but might get me the "participation points" I want.

I have no idea if they have pervasive internet on Vision but even if it does on ships that I have been on that have it you still get a better reception at the usual hotspots..... Viking Crown or deck 2 outside the conference room for example; I don't know if you have status but you could have a word with the Diamond Lounge concierge.... I've had good reception there too. The online area may have a good wifi reception too.

Two possibilities are 1) Contact the professor and explain the situation and ask what can be done to get the participation points you want and 2) Use a cell phone with an international plan and talk with one of your classmates to relay your participation. BTW I'm on the same cruise. 74 days now!

I'm guessing Blackboard will not work. It's a real bandwidth hog, and the Vision is simply not going to have it to spare.

I have a suggestion though. Ask your prof if you can make a video of presentation and provide that to him in advance of the class. He can then show it, and you can enjoy your cruise.

I was wrong, it will not be on the Aruba port day, it will be Grand Cayman leaving at 6 pm so if there is a time change in my favor as my "class" is 6:30 - 7:30 Eastern time i might be able to squeak it in.

We have Verizon for cell phone and an ipad coverage. I might be able to connect to Blackboard with the ipad. Would have to play with that but would there be roaming on Grand Cayman? That would NOT be good. Would be too tight a time frame to be off the ship in a free wifi zone.