Golden Princess Alaska

lrockwitt

We have cruised in Alaska during August several times now and we find it a good time. The salmon are generally running which we enjoy and it does increase your chances of seeing bears in certain ports. We have had pretty good luck with the weather, although you just need to be prepared in case of rain. And the Golden is a wonderful ship. Can't go wrong there. Really the most important consideration in my estimation in choosing an Alaskan cruise is the itinerary. Since this sounds like it would be your first Alaska cruise I would recommend an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.

August is a great time to go on the Golden, we (25 members of my family) just returned form our cruise in the Golden. 2 weeks ago. Loved the ship, wonderful crew, very good food and good weather..only rained in Ketchikan and was cold in glacier bay. If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them

Arlene

One thing to keep in mind...during June and early July, there are parts of Glacier Bay closed to ships. This is to protect the seal rookeries while they give birth to the pups. The result is a not-as-good experience in the Bay. Still spectacular, but not quite as good as later in the season.

My DW and my favorite time to cruise Alaska is either beginning (minding caveat above) end of season. The vibe is different in the towns along the way than it is during mid season. There's a bit more energy and buzz--either because the season is just starting or because the people in town are getting excited about going home for the winter. The best bet for weather is in August, though. So pick a date that works for you, and enjoy a fantastic cruise.

I am interested in booking an Alaska Cruise next August 2015. I was wondering if that is a good time to go and what you thought about the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on the Golden three times to Alaska in August and had great weather on each trip. The Golden is a great ship.

Mike:)

I just did a quick glance at the Golden itineraries for August 2015. Personally I'd book the 8/10/15 cruise as it goes to Glacier Bay. Having been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier I can say there is no comparison, Glacier Bay is the better experience. I'm assuming Tracey Arm Fjord is similar to Hubbard Glacier. The rest of the itinerary is almost identical. Yes the 8/10 departure may have a little different timing on Juneau with a later arrival, but it's a sacrifice I'd gladly make to have Glacier Bay.

The 10 night cruise with 5 sea days (including Glacier Bay/ Tracey Arm Fjord cruising day) is a real winner. The day stop in Victoria is a nice plus vs the evening stop on almost all the 7 night cruises ex Seattle. Sailing in/out of San Francisco is great as it has much better air service than either Seattle or Vancouver and a lot to offer for a pre/post cruise visit to the Bay Area.

August is prime season in SE Alaska. It is when the most wildlife will be visible, the glaciers will be at their most active and the temperaturs will be at their warmest.

Princess is known for their excellent Alaska focused onboard programming with Naturalists and guest lecturers well chosen to add depth to the experience. They and HAL are the first tier in this area. The other mainstream cruise lines just can't compete.

As you can tell, my vote is to go for it! :D

Edited by scottamiller

I was on the Golden July 26th sailing. Nice ship and crew and a great walking/running deck.:) Weather was decent 55f-65f with one full day of rain in Juneau.

We saw plenty of wildlife, whales, seals, dolphins, bears and eagles. Glacier Bay was beautiful and serene.

The not so good was the buffet setup and the lack of variety and quality of the buffet food. The other negative for me was the lack of something to do on the two days at sea unless you enjoy bingo and trivia. In the evenings the ship did come alive with some good musical groups and song and dance shows.

• 3 weeks later...
I just did a quick glance at the Golden itineraries for August 2015. Personally I'd book the 8/10/15 cruise as it goes to Glacier Bay. Having been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier I can say there is no comparison, Glacier Bay is the better experience. I'm assuming Tracey Arm Fjord is similar to Hubbard Glacier. The rest of the itinerary is almost identical. Yes the 8/10 departure may have a little different timing on Juneau with a later arrival, but it's a sacrifice I'd gladly make to have Glacier Bay.

The 10 night cruise with 5 sea days (including Glacier Bay/ Tracey Arm Fjord cruising day) is a real winner. The day stop in Victoria is a nice plus vs the evening stop on almost all the 7 night cruises ex Seattle. Sailing in/out of San Francisco is great as it has much better air service than either Seattle or Vancouver and a lot to offer for a pre/post cruise visit to the Bay Area.

August is prime season in SE Alaska. It is when the most wildlife will be visible, the glaciers will be at their most active and the temperaturs will be at their warmest.

Princess is known for their excellent Alaska focused onboard programming with Naturalists and guest lecturers well chosen to add depth to the experience. They and HAL are the first tier in this area. The other mainstream cruise lines just can't compete.

As you can tell, my vote is to go for it! :D

Well I certainly went for it!!!! Booked the exact cruise you mentioned out of SFO with Glacier Bay!!so excited:D