One Day Tour to the Big Island from Oahu

NewCruiser10

We were thinking of taking a one day tour from Oahu to The Big Island. I know that it will be an exhausting day and it would be much better to stay for several days. However, that is not an option.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the one day tours and if you could suggest a good tour operator.

Thanks!

We were thinking of taking a one day tour from Oahu to The Big Island. I know that it will be an exhausting day and it would be much better to stay for several days. However, that is not an option.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the one day tours and if you could suggest a good tour operator.

Thanks!

You could take a HawaiiAirlines early morning flight and a late return flight, then take a circle island tour, such as http://www.robertshawaii.com/big-island/hawaii-circle-island.php or google "Big Island Circle Tour" to find other tours. It is a long day, but hits the highlights.

We haven't done it, but just thought I'd offer some thoughts ....

Most people would go to the Big Island for one day to see Volcanoes National Park and a few other sites on the east side of the island ... is that what you have in mind?

Roberts Hawaii is often mentioned here in the forums for day tours ... they offer this one from Oahu to the east side of the BI.

I would also consider doing it on your own ... arrange your flights with Hawaiian Airlines into Hilo (ITO) and book a rental car for the day. It's very easy to explore on your own if you don't mind doing some research and planning ahead of time. Or do your own flights and book a day with a tour guide such as this one who comes highly recommended on the Big Island Tripadvisor forum.

p.s. ... sorry, I didn't mean to be repetitive (didn't see the above post before I posted) ... and I also didn't realize that the Robert's tour circled the whole island - I thought it focussed on the east side, but I see that it does go around the whole island. I can't imagine spending that much time in a van on the BI and would suggest the option of just doing the east side on your own or with a guide ... and spending more time outside of a vehicle than inside.

Edited by Susan-M

Doesn't your cruise visit the Big Island? While a one day flight and full island tour might be possible, it would be very expensive, exhausting, and ultimately probably not much fun. Don't forget all the time required just to get to the airport, go through security, etc. - twice in one day. If you really can't spare more than a day and are determined to try it, I'd decide what I really wanted to see (volcano?) so that you can determine whether to fly into Kona or Hilo, then rent a car or do a tour concentrating on just one side of the island. We spend about 6 weeks a year on the island and still have trouble fitting in all there is to see!

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking about a tour like Roberts Hawaii circle island. I was wondering if anyone has used this tour company and what you thought of it. Also, are there other tour companies that you might recommend.

Probably most cruisers wouldn't do a one day tour to the BI because of limited time on Oahu, plus their cruise itinerary likely includes at least one stop on the BI...so if you don't get feedback based on actual experience here, I would try posting on Cruise Critic's sister site - Tripadvisor. Probably best to ask on the general Hawaii forum (rather than the Oahu or BI forum).

Also, if you google "Robert's Hawaii Tripadvisor Reviews" you'll find lots of feedback from others about various tours that they offer.

As mentioned above though, between time spent on the shuttle picking up everyone at hotels in Oahu and dropping them off again, time spent waiting at the airport, airplane time (that's not a bad thing because it's a short flight and you'll get some island views) and about 6 hours sitting in the van to do the full loop around the island ... it might seem a bit tedious. You'll cover a lot of territory though, and it sounds like that's what you're after.

What do you want to see on the Big Island? There really isn't an "around the island tour" because the road does not go "around the island." Actually the HWY 19 does cover most of the island. If you want to see Volcano National Park, I would suggest not taking a planned tour from HNL but taking an early morning flight into Hilo, rent a car, spend the day on that side of the island and fly back to HNL that night, as recommend by Pizzalady1. You would probably have time for Akaka Falls and other sights. I totally agree with Susan-M re the time spent on an organized tour with pick-ups, wait times, etc., being tedious. I would imagine that planning the trip yourselves would be far less expensive and much more enjoyable. JMO Cherie

Edited by cccole

Susan-M - Thank you for the route map. This looks like a day sitting on a bus and on airplanes without really seeing anything besides what is out the window. I love both sides and the middle of the Big Island and if I had only one day I would limit it to one area. The drive between Hilo and Kona is great but takes time. The OP does not indicate whether they are on a cruise that will later stop in Kona and/or Hilo. As you know, there is a reason Hawaii is called the Big Island, and if offers and incredible variety of scenery. Thank you again for the route map. Cherie

I love both sides and the middle of the Big Island and if I had only one day I would limit it to one area.

Hi Cherie - you're welcome for the map :) We spent 13 days on the BI last year, and I absolutely agree with you about focussing on one area for a day trip. If I were to do a one day trip to the BI, and didn't want to rent a car and explore on our own (which would be my first choice as a day trip) - I would go with the suggestion that I made above and hire a private guide for the day to cover some of the highlights on the east side. That would be worthwhile and probably less money than the Robert's tour ... the Robert's tour wouldn't even be a consideration for us.

Last year we did a one day DIY trip from Maui to Molokai - flew on Mokulele Airlines (which was nice because there's no TSA check/therefore shorter wait at the airport ... they fly from the commuter terminal) and rented a car for the day ... wonderful way to spend the day! I would do the same for Volcanoes National Park if it was the only way I could get to see it, but I don't think Mokulele flies into Hilo, so that means Hawaiian Airlines and longer waits at the airports.

Edited by Susan-M