What do you think about NCL Travel Insurance

din2play2

I think of it like this. If I have 401K money taken out of my paycheck every pay in essence I "never miss it". If I buy insurance when I purchase my cruise I will pay that off way before I cruise. Then if I have to use it it will be there and no additional costs. If I don't use it, I really never think about it.

I would never think of not insuring myself as a driver and a homeowner or carrying regular health insurance. I think of this the same way.

I thought I would share a real life very recent example of why I will always buy trip insurance. We were supposed to be on the Getaway a week ago. I had spent months researching and planning and we were so looking forward to it. My mom ended up having open heart surgery three days before we were scheduled to leave and her recovery has been anything but quick. I obviously didn't want to go on our cruise with her still trying to recover. The disappointment and worry of not being able to go has been somewhat offset by the fact that we purchased insurance. It has allowed me to put my thoughts where they should be, with my mom. I purchased the insurance using Insuremytrip.com to search for policies appropriate for our situation. I will always buy insurance for trips in excess of $1000 and anytime we are out of the country.

Good luck and speedy recovery for your Mom. We can appreciate your situation as we were in almost the same one once. I also work in a nursing home / rehab and know how slow recovery can be. Keep the faith...best wishes

PS we always take insurance

Edited by spidybabe

Insure your house. Don't insure the light bulbs within it.

I really think that if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to NOT cruise should you get sick or miss the boat, etc. It would really suck, but you won't be out any more money than if you'd gone. Nobody's life is destroyed because they missed a vacation!

Medical evacuation or health care outside your network is a very different matter.

Insure against things that will break you. Save your money otherwise.

Insure your house. Don't insure the light bulbs within it.

I really think that if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to NOT cruise should you get sick or miss the boat, etc. It would really suck, but you won't be out any more money than if you'd gone. Nobody's life is destroyed because they missed a vacation!

Medical evacuation or health care outside your network is a very different matter.

Insure against things that will break you. Save your money otherwise.

Well said.

And I will repeat - EVERYONE that books a cruise can afford to miss it. True. Really. After all, you have already spent the money. And, if you do not go on the cruise, your cost will be less than if you had gone.

Granted, it sucks. Big time. But, you are not out any more money than what you already spent. You are out a vacation.

For any good insurance conversation, you need to understand your own coverage through your health insurance and credit card that you used to book your trip.

Then you need to look at all the possible costs of a medical emergency and trip cancellation and see where there are gaps.

Then decide what you can afford to loose if you gamble and don't take it out. Plain an simple. Nobody can tell you to get it or not. Too many personal factors come into play...the most important being your current coverage through other mechanisms and your personal financial tolerance for loss.

It's hard work to understand your coverage that already exists. Dig through your credit card documents online, call your health insurance company and pose a lot of "What if" questions (e.g., shipboard medical costs, air evacuation to the U.S. from foreign country, inpatient and outpatient care in another country, repatriation). A worthy exercise, though, particularly if you plan to do foreign travel more than once.

OP I have always found more robust policies from third party insurers and use http://www.insuremytrip.com to find our policy. Our last policy cost $33 a person (purchased 15 months before the cruise). I normally buy travel insurance for two things 1) medical coverage and 2) medevac coverage. While my medical plan does provide coverage overseas it only provides coverage for participating providers and the last thing I want to do is to have to find someone that accepts my plan. Medevac's are expensive, $25k or more. I don't have that kind of cash hanging around. Since a comprehensive policy is not much more than one that covers medical/medevac I just buy one of those. It is nice knowing that if we miss the cruise for some reason we will get most of our money back which would enable us to book another cruise sooner.

I found a policy on insuremytrip.com. I have autoimmune arthritis and didn't want to risk having to be evacuated or out the money if we cancel our trip if I flared too badly.

Well said.

And I will repeat - EVERYONE that books a cruise can afford to miss it. True. Really. After all, you have already spent the money. And, if you do not go on the cruise, your cost will be less than if you had gone.

Granted, it sucks. Big time. But, you are not out any more money than what you already spent. You are out a vacation.

While what you say is true it is also nice if one can get back some if not most of the cost in order to plan another trip.