Princess cruise Alaska August 2015

We are a couple in our 60's about to embark on our 1st cruise so we know very little about ships and cruising.

We are planning to do a Princess Line cruise aboard the Pacific Princess northbound departing from Vancouver on 24/8/15 to Anchorage.

We have been told the smaller ships are better to sail Alaska is this correct?

Also does anyone have any feedback on this ship and also advise on best balcony cabin to book?

This may sound like a stupid question but would the starboard side of the ship be better view wise from our balcony on the northbound cruise.?

Many thanks

We are a couple in our 60's about to embark on our 1st cruise so we know very little about ships and cruising.

We are planning to do a Princess Line cruise aboard the Pacific Princess northbound departing from Vancouver on 24/8/15 to Anchorage.

Also does anyone have any feedback on this ship and also advise on best balcony cabin to book?

This may sound like a stupid question but would the starboard side of the ship be better view wise from our balcony on the northbound cruise.?

Many thanks

You want to be on the right side facing forward when your northbound. Keep in mind that most of the cruising is done during the night. When your in Glacier bay you'll want to be moving all over the ship. The Ranger's narration isn't broadcast to the balconies. When in front of the Glacier , the captain will slowly rotate the ship so that both side get a good view of the glaciers.

I suggest you keep reading Alaska reviews here on CC. Balconies are very popular and pricey.

Some have found them too cold to use while the ship is underway.

Some have found themselves to be 'up on deck' during the day for more of a 360 degree experience, which is what Alaska is, rather than on their balcony.

Our opinion was that there was too much to see to be restricted to our balcony. But each person has his preference.

Balconies have greatly improved since Princess prohibited smoking on them. It was awful to stand and look at a beautiful, pristine glacier only to have the acrid odor of various forms of smoking envelope us.

Whatever you decide, Alaska is fabulous and you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks I will keep reading reviews has anyone been on the Pacific Princess is this ship a good option being smaller?

Pacific Princess is a nice ship. It has only fixed dining which doesn't work properly in Alaska

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Many thanks

There are only five categories -- Interior Double, Oceanview Double, Oceanview Double with Balcony, Mini-Suites and Owner's Suites -- but there is significant variety within the categories, so consult deck plans and cabin reviews before booking.

When you are sailing the inside passage, either side will be OK

Thanks for the imput, Kamloop why doesn't fixed dining work in Alaska?

I am just getting used to this site so have not found any cabin reviews for Pacific Princess as yet.

Here you go

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=58

Small ship vs large in Alaska is usually related to how close the ship can get to view glaciers or fjords.

Alaska is so awesome, whatever you decide I have to believe you'll love it!

I am just getting used to this site so have not found any cabin reviews for Pacific Princess as yet.

Alaskan ports are close enough to each other that the ship doesn't need to leave one port by 5pm to make the next port, and in many cases doesn't need to leave before 8pm. As such, there are several nights where you'll be in port and miss your dinner time. With Anytime Dining, you just head to the dining room once you're back aboard, but with Traditional (aka fixed), your time has passed, and you're now "limited" to the other options (buffet, specialty restaurant, room service, etc.)

On two northbound cruises, I'd have to say that the "medium+" (Coral) and "large" (Sapphire) ships can get plenty close enough to the glaciers. On our recent Seattle round-trip, even the Pacific isn't small enough to get as close to Tracy Arm as we did on a small-boat excursion that was perhaps the highlight of our cruise.

My advice would be to save the Pacific Princess for a future cruise once you've gotten a few cruises "in you", and instead look at the Coral.

Due to times that you pass thru scenic and whale areas usually correspond to early seating . June and July have almost 24 hrs of light and whales usually feed just before the sun sets even thou there isn't any true night.

Due to times that you pass thru scenic and whale areas usually correspond to early seating . June and July have almost 24 hrs of light and whales usually feed just before the sun sets even thou there isn't any true night.

Even Anchorage is still well south of the Arctic Circle, therefore there's most definitely 'night' on an Alaska cruise. Sunset is certainly late, perhaps 10pm in late June/early July, but it doesn't rise again until 4am so there's darkness.