Guarantee - stuck with connecting room?

Slopfrog

This just amazes me. The thing you are upset about is that in one portion of the wall between your cabin and the next there are TWO SOLID DOORS instead of a HOLLOW WALL? Then you are upset about this becasue YOU are quiet? It makes no sense what-so-ever. If you go on your cruise with your mind made up to have a rotten time because of the cabin then you will have a rotten time. No matter the noise level from the cabins on eitehr side of you, the fact that one is connecting will have very little impact on the situation at all, if any. Best solutions is to decide to enjoy your cruise and do just that!

This is exactly why I don't book guarantee cabins. I want the cabin that I want, not that someone picked for me. I also do my research as to where cabins are and where I want to be.

My point being, if you book guarantee you shouldn't complain.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I always find it it funny when guarantees are booked and then people are unhappy with their cabin.

I was told years ago if you book a guarantee you have to be willing to take the worst possible cabin in that category and know that going in. That's why you get a better price.

If an upgrade come then it's just gravy.

Spot on! :)

Thanks for at least making me feel like it isn't the end of the world. (This same thing ALWAYS happens to me in hotels and the noise is almost always an issue. I've finally gotten to the point I just refuse the room. So that's where my paranoia comes from.)

Does anybody know if there are two doors or one? If there are two doors then maybe I can open the one on my side and ask for a bunch of towels or pillows to jam in there.

Not to be mean, but I sincerely hope they refuse to give you those pillows. Would you want to use them for their real purpose after they have been ruined by your stuffing them between the doors? Ugh.

Listen to what EVERY ONE here is telling you: Noise from neighbors is dependent on the passengers next door, not on the type of wall/door between the rooms.

Relax. If you forget about the connecting doors, I'll bet you never even notice them. You're freaking yourself out about nothing.

Slightly off topic, but OP, since you are so concerned about noise, if you are not already doing so, I suggest you travel with a white noise or "sleep" machine. As others have said, the noise you hear is related to your neighbors and often the connecting room is not an issue. But a sleep machine magically makes the neighbors, the vacuums, the sterwards carts, the kids in the hall, etc., go away.

Good suggestion. But you don't even need the machine. There's an app for that! For tablets and smart phones.

I'm booked for the Getaway with an ocean view guarantee ..... I actually wanted to pay extra to pick my own cabin at the time of booking but it was not offered, only guarantees at the last minute. ....

The OP made it clear, that at least WHEN he booked,it was the only option.

Why do people continue to go out of their way to blast the OP about GTY and you get what you asked for, etc!

And, the concern is real for this person. It might not be for everyone else, but some of the comments here are downright MEAN!

Why do people continue to go out of their way to blast the OP about GTY and you get what you asked for, etc!

And, the concern is real for this person. It might not be for everyone else, but some of the comments here are downright MEAN!

I totally agree with you.

It was the only option for that specific cruise. There was the option to book a different cruise where a specific cabin type could be selected.

That being said, I am an extremely light sleeper and have found no difference with sleeping a connecting cabin on a ship vs a non-connecting cabin.

I find sleeping on a ship much easier than sleeping in a hotel anyway with the sea air, movement and from being plain exhausted from all of the activity

I hope the posts on this thread will put the OP's mind at rest.

Somebody else on the cruise has posted about availability on that specific cruise. Until last night, one could pay more and picked their cabin. Maybe the OP did not understand that option when he booked, but evidently the option was there for those willing to pay more. Now with the cruise right around the corner, cruise is largely booked and the OP is unlikely to be able to change cabins.

Not trying to be mean, but if one books a gty (either because it is the only thing available or because the price is better), one has to be willing to accept any cabin in the gty category or higher. Booking gty means one could get a connecting cabin, a noisy location, a long walk, whatever. The OP accepted such risks by booking gty.

OP: I am an extremely light sleeper as well, so I understand your concern. However, I have not found a difference between connecting and non-connecting cabins in terms of noise.

If you are still concerned, I suggest calling NCL and asking about a change, but being prepared for a "No". Rochelle found additional availability at one point, so if you keep checking, you might stumble upon an available cabin that you would prefer. If you see one on-line, it would be important to call immediately (either your TA or NCL whomever holds your reservation) to make the change, because it could be booked by another passenger, etc.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruis247g

I'm with you on this one instead of trying to help the OP he/she is scolded.

This is exactly why I don't book guarantee cabins. I want the cabin that I want, not that someone picked for me. I also do my research as to where cabins are and where I want to be.

My point being, if you book guarantee you shouldn't complain.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Surprisingly, (or not depending how cynical you are) there are many who realize and agree to this simple set of facts, but feel entitled anyway to have a say over their GTY cabin.

My point of view is that if there is any one cabin in your category that you wouldn't want to be in, then don't book a guarantee because Murphy's Law dictates that one cabin is the one you will get!

I don't know, why do people continue to book GTY and complain about the cabin they get? :rolleyes:

As for GTY was the only thing available......that would only be for that cruise, that sailing. If you can't do GTY, book a different line, different ship, different port, different sailing. I will guarantee you that there is no way GTY was the only thing available for all sailings of all cruise ships in the world........I'll bet my next paycheck on it. Normally sail NCL but can't get the cabin you like, try Carnival, RCCL, HAL, Princess, etc....if the concern was that real for the OP, there were so many different options to try instead of booking GTY and then complaining here that they didn't get the cabin the really wanted.

Edited by Out to sea!

We have had connecting cabins before, it all depends on your neighbors - and if they are noisy, you may hear them, this can occur in a regular cabin too. We had a baby next to us on one cruise and never heard a thing. On the other hand we have had smokers on the other side of the door and it was very uncomfortable for us, the guy coughed so much we called him "lung disease" and the smell definitely leaked into our cabin. Wait and see, the passengers in the adjoining cabin may have the same concerns as you!! I hope you have a good cruise.

I actually chose a connecting cabin on my next cruise. Just looking for close to the elevators. I don't have the slightest concern that it will be noisier than one with a wall. I guess it could be but I've had them before and never noticed an issue. I wouldn't sweat it.

As a person who books a bit further out and chooses a cabin, and consequently pays more for the privilege, I'd actually be pretty peeved if NCL started moving people who booked GTY and didn't like their assignment.

oh, if that would bug you, perhaps you best stick with NCL.

several other lines will let people, once a gty is assigned, swap within the exact same category if a cabin they like better is available in that category. Royal Caribbean, celebrity and princess have allowed such swaps. Of course, sometimes there are no cabins in that exact category to swap...or those other cabins that are available are not better.

NCL seems to stick to their guns, which is fine, though I personally appreciate that others let people swap. after all, different people value different things. the OP dislikes connecting cabins, somebody else wants low and mid ship, somebody else wants to be near the elevator, and another person wants a high deck. So, if in the warning days before the cruise (when most gty's are assigned), letting people switch a bit might make multiple people happier at little or no cost.

Thanks for at least making me feel like it isn't the end of the world. (This same thing ALWAYS happens to me in hotels and the noise is almost always an issue. I've finally gotten to the point I just refuse the room. So that's where my paranoia comes from.)

Does anybody know if there are two doors or one? If there are two doors then maybe I can open the one on my side and ask for a bunch of towels or pillows to jam in there.

single door. Not two.

As everyone has said - noise isn't the issue.

Unless it is family traveling season - the non-connecting always sell first.

I don't personally do GTYs unless there is no choice in my preferred sailing class (as is the case witch a cruise next spring), mostly because I don't like connecting cabins. My reason is simple - sometimes that door means that you get a chair rather than a couch.

How is that for a whine (grin)?

Seriously, you are going to have a great cruise and you won't spend enough time in your cabin to every worry about the door. Just shove the chair in front of it at night and go to sleep!

-Holly

who would rather be in a cabin with a connecting door than, oh let us say - cooking, laundry, office or lecturing....