Possible to Bring More Than One Bottle

zdcatc12

I plan to bring a bottle of wine but my preferred wine only comes in the Magnum size (which is bigger than they allow) - does anyone know (or have an opinion) if they will allow the bigger bottle? We'll be in Ft Lauderdale, if that helps.

Thanks!

I can almost guarantee that they will not allow it.

You are not supposed to put wine OR sodas in the checked luggage. If my checked baggage arrived with all my clothes soaked with some alcoholics fix, I would be livid. I would do my best to find out who the idiot was that had to break the rules. Please don't play dumb.

On my first cruise some of my group's clothes were soaked with fish juice. Someone had packed frozen fish in a suitcase and it thawed. The person who did this wax on our plane not our cruise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cruise out of Galveston and last time we cruised we took 4 bottles between the 2 of us and no one said anything. All you can do is try.

I'll definitely try. I'm probably jumping the gun anyway since I don't know if I can even buy my preferred win in FLL. :)

If they would kick ppl off or not let them board when caught smuggling wine or alcohol vs. just confiscating it, that would put an end to it. Personally, I would not want to take the chance that the wine would break in my luggage and cause a horrible mess. Let alone ruining others things as mentioned in previous posts. Bring a bottle per person in your cabin and if that is not enough, buy more on board.

Eventually, if enough people keep trying to get around the rules, they will make it where you can't bring any on at all!

If they would kick ppl off or not let them board when caught smuggling wine or alcohol vs. just confiscating it, that would put an end to it. Personally, I would not want to take the chance that the wine would break in my luggage and cause a horrible mess. Let alone ruining others things as mentioned in previous posts. Bring a bottle per person in your cabin and if that is not enough, buy more on board.

Eventually, if enough people keep trying to get around the rules, they will make it where you can't bring any on at all!

If they don't enforce the rules they already have in place, making more rules that they will continue not enforcing won't do anything. As you stated, if they simply followed the contract to the letter and denied boarding to those found attempting to smuggle, that will be the only way to stop the practice.

We had this happen, fortunately it was white wine or clear liquor. Carnival cleaned our clothes, it was an inconvenience, but I'd have been pretty upset if the wine had been red!

I had a bag get soaked in red wine on my last cruise. Carnival cleaned the clothes for free but of course there is some staining. Luckily it only hit a pair of jeans and a dark t-shirt. I wasn't happy but it wasn't Carnival's fault and they did everything they could to make it right. I guess I could have complained to John Heald and got a fruit basket.

They allow you to bring wine onboard in your carry on bag so there's no reason to have it in your luggage.

I went on a cruise in April and met a girl that smuggled a bottle of vodka but she also had a bottle of wine in her suitcase - they left the vodka and confiscated the wine. Go figure :confused:

If they don't enforce the rules they already have in place, making more rules that they will continue not enforcing won't do anything. As you stated, if they simply followed the contract to the letter and denied boarding to those found attempting to smuggle, that will be the only way to stop the practice.

I agree. They should just enforce the rules they already have in place. It is clearly stated in the cruise contract that we all sign:

"(f) ...Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f) All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy."

All it would take is a short period (maybe a month or two, fleetwide) of denying boarding to caught smugglers to get the word spread around and stop or at least greatly reduce this practice by people who think rules don't apply to them. They could even do it as random boarding denials, spread out evenly throughout the fleet and year. Then you wouldn't have people recommending smuggling to others with lines like: "Go ahead, do it. The worst that will happen is they call you to the Naughty Room and confiscate it until the end of the cruise.":rolleyes:

But of course, this is just a dream:rolleyes:. We all know Carnival is like the parent that threatens punishment for a child's misdeeds but rarely/never follows through. Parents like that create brats with no respect for authority or rules.:mad: Look what Carnival's creating.;)

All it would take is a short period (maybe a month or two, fleetwide) of denying boarding to caught smugglers to get the word spread around and stop or at least greatly reduce this practice by people who think rules don't apply to them. They could even do it as random boarding denials, spread out evenly throughout the fleet and year. Then you wouldn't have people recommending smuggling to others with lines like: "Go ahead, do it. The worst that will happen is they call you to the Naughty Room and confiscate it until the end of the cruise.":rolleyes:

But of course, this is just a dream:rolleyes:. We all know Carnival is like the parent that threatens punishment for a child's misdeeds but rarely/never follows through. Parents like that create brats with no respect for authority or rules.:mad: Look what Carnival's creating.;)

Well said! :)

They will NEVER deny someone boarding for trying to smuggle alcohol. They will confiscate if discovered. They want you on the ship, paying for excursions, paying for steakhouse, buying stuff in the shops, playing bingo, etc.

It is all a big game that people play, and while smuggled alcohol may hurt revenues, empty cabins hurt revenue even more. Carnival is content to play the game. What they SHOULD do is like what Princess does; 1 free and then pay corkage on any overage. That would cut down on smuggling I would think.

Edited by LMaxwell

They will NEVER deny someone boarding for trying to smuggle alcohol. They will confiscate if discovered. They want you on the ship, paying for excursions, paying for steakhouse, buying stuff in the shops, playing bingo, etc.

Alas, I know.:( But they could put a plan in place to replace denied smugglers:

offer a reduced-fare "stand-by" rate for locals/retirees and others ready and willing to cruise at very short notice. A few of these slots would be available for each sailing, with the potential fill-in cruiser having no idea what cabin type they would be getting (smugglers probably travel in everything from insides to suites), or even if they would actually be cruising that day.

The potential fill-ins would just have to be packed and ready and waiting at the port (free parking could be offered to them in case they don't cruise). One could sign up as a fill-in cruiser for several consecutive sailings, and just take their chances of getting a B2B2B, or no cruise at all in that period.

There are plenty of people who would jump at this (at a nicely-discounted fare, of course). And then Carnival would have non-smuggling warm bodies onboard to fill seats and spend money. Everyone wins.:D Except for the rule-breakers, of course.

If this were put in place, Carnival could simultaneously save money (and thus have to cut back on product quality less), improve their reputation, cut down on the percentage of people cruising with them that have no respect for a signed contract and rules, and possibly pull in a few adventurous new cruisers from each homeport local market. Oh, and help to keep the luggage of us rule-followers from being damaged.:cool:

ETA: This plan of mine would actually make extra revenue for Carnival on any sailing a fill-in cruiser had to be used. Because, the smuggler denied boarding, as per the contract said smuggler signed, states that they will not refunded their cruise fare.;) So any fare they charge the fill-in cruiser is just gravy!

Go ahead, Carnival: you have my permission and invitation to use my idea with absolutely no consulting fee from me. You're welcome.:D

Edited by ShakyBeef

offer a reduced-fare "stand-by" rate for locals/retirees and others ready and willing to cruise at very short notice. A few of these slots would be available for each sailing, with the potential fill-in cruiser having no idea what cabin type they would be getting (smugglers probably travel in everything from insides to suites), or even if they would actually be cruising that day.

All cruise lines used to do that before 9/11. Now it is a memory. DHS needs passenger manifest 24 hours before sailing.

Aw, crud. I forgot about that.:o So much for my brilliant idea.:rolleyes:

I admire your goal, but two real problems with your idea.

1. Why in the world would you want to keep a known drinker off the ship? If you take away their alcohol, now they have to pay bar drinks. Score!

2. The story won't be, "Passengers denied boarding for smuggling alcohol against cruise contract." It will be, "Fleetwide, Carnival left 300 passengers standing at the pier as the cruises ships sailed away! Family's say vacation ruined, will never cruise again and are planning to sue!"

There is no real upside for denying boarding to smugglers as a fleetwide policy. Maybe, just maybe the repeat offender that has been caught numerous times, but not the random one and definitely not everyone caught.

I admire your goal, but two real problems with your idea.

1. Why in the world would you want to keep a known drinker off the ship? If you take away their alcohol, now they have to pay bar drinks. Score!

2. The story won't be, "Passengers denied boarding for smuggling alcohol against cruise contract." It will be, "Fleetwide, Carnival left 300 passengers standing at the pier as the cruises ships sailed away! Family's say vacation ruined, will never cruise again and are planning to sue!"

There is no real upside for denying boarding to smugglers as a fleetwide policy. Maybe, just maybe the repeat offender that has been caught numerous times, but not the random one and definitely not everyone caught.

All very good points; I concede. But it won't stop me from wishing (as I continue to wish just as unrealistically for the return of the FCCs and the reversal of so many cutbacks).:o:p

Edited by ShakyBeef

All very good points; I concede. But it won't stop me from wishing (as I continue to wish just as unrealistically for the return of the FCCs and the reversal of so many cutbacks).:o:p

Yes, I did love the original FCC, that was quite a deal. You had like 2 years to book another cruise.

Personally, I'd confiscate and destroy all liquor or beer and charge a corkage fee for excess wine. I'd probably give them a note apologizing but stating they had violated the cruise contract and to soften the blow, here are some drink coupons for 1 dollar off.

It would sting without being overly harsh and it wouldn't play well when they complain. "Cruise line destroys liquor" doesn't lead well.

I really doubt smuggling has much impact on the bottom line. Only so many will do it and get away with it. Also, there are plenty of others drinking their cares away.

Yes, I did love the original FCC, that was quite a deal. You had like 2 years to book another cruise.

Personally, I'd confiscate and destroy all liquor or beer and charge a corkage fee for excess wine. I'd probably give them a note apologizing but stating they had violated the cruise contract and to soften the blow, here are some drink coupons for 1 dollar off.

It would sting without being overly harsh and it wouldn't play well when they complain. "Cruise line destroys liquor" doesn't lead well.

I really doubt smuggling has much impact on the bottom line. Only so many will do it and get away with it. Also, there are plenty of others drinking their cares away.

Now that is Brilliant!:cool: They would have to do it (confiscate all found smuggled liquor and dispose of it) consistently. Smuggling would definitely be curbed then. And you're right, they smugglers wouldn't have much of a public interest story for the media with that tactic.

But I strongly disagree about giving coupons or even bothering to soften the blow. They broke the rules. Why should they get gifted coupons when those of us respecting our contracts and following the rules don't get any gifts for doing so?

I'd also tweak your system in one more way: instead of destroying the confiscated alcohol, I would donate it to the crew bar. This would further motivate the crew scanning the luggage to find more contraband.;):D

Now that is Brilliant!:cool: They would have to do it (confiscate all found smuggled liquor and dispose of it) consistently. Smuggling would definitely be curbed then. And you're right, they smugglers wouldn't have much of a public interest story for the media with that tactic.

But I strongly disagree about giving coupons or even bothering to soften the blow. They broke the rules. Why should they get gifted coupons when those of us respecting our contracts and following the rules don't get any gifts for doing so?

I'd also tweak your system in one more way: instead of destroying the confiscated alcohol, I would donate it to the crew bar. This would further motivate the crew scanning the luggage to find more contraband.;):D

We can disagree about the coupons. It really doesn't cost anything and encourages them to buy drinks. But I definitely get your point.

As to giving it to the crew bar, definitely not. Too much risk. Even if sealed someone may have tampered with it. Now, a bonus for each time a crew member finds liquor may be in order. But it can't be too much, you don't want it to feel like a police state as they search for alcohol. Nor do you ever want the crew to feel it is them versus the passengers.

Remember, a cruise line is all about separating passengers and their money. Hopefully they gave you a pleasant experience along the way. Really, the same for any business. They want your money, you just have to decide if what you are getting in return is a fair value.

We can disagree about the coupons. It really doesn't cost anything and encourages them to buy drinks. But I definitely get your point.

As to giving it to the crew bar, definitely not. Too much risk. Even if sealed someone may have tampered with it. Now, a bonus for each time a crew member finds liquor may be in order. But it can't be too much, you don't want it to feel like a police state as they search for alcohol. Nor do you ever want the crew to feel it is them versus the passengers.

Remember, a cruise line is all about separating passengers and their money. Hopefully they gave you a pleasant experience along the way. Really, the same for any business. They want your money, you just have to decide if what you are getting in return is a fair value.

Again, all good points.

It's very unlikely that sealed smuggled liquor would be tampered with, though, because then it wouldn't be much good to the smuggler if they were successful getting it through. Unless the particular form of tampering used is desirable or at least harmless to them, but possibly toxic or harmful to others. That's pretty far-fetched though.

Or, I suppose there could be a truly psychotic smuggler that would poison the alcohol with the intention of it being confiscated and consumed by crew, but that is even more far-fetched than the first scenario. I would, however, have all alcohol in non-original containers destroyed, though (which I believe they currently do, when they bother to confiscate it).

They allow you to bring wine onboard in your carry on bag so there's no reason to have it in your luggage.

I went on a cruise in April and met a girl that smuggled a bottle of vodka but she also had a bottle of wine in her suitcase - they left the vodka and confiscated the wine. Go figure :confused:

Some people prefer to smuggle the 5 liter bags of wine as they find 750ml to not be enough for a cruise. Hence why they smuggle it in their luggage.

It is all a big game that people play, and while smuggled alcohol may hurt revenues, empty cabins hurt revenue even more. Carnival is content to play the game. What they SHOULD do is like what Princess does; 1 free and then pay corkage on any overage. That would cut down on smuggling I would think.

Never say Never. ;)

No, it would not cut down on smuggling. NCL does the same, bring as much as you want and pay $15 per bottle. Hasn't slowed the smuggling as people don't want to pay the corkage fee either. And I highly doubt that the level of smuggling has changed either. Denying boarding or kicking people off ship......that would put a dent in smuggling and maybe one day Carnival will get fed up enough to grow a pair and enforce their rules or say the hell with it and remove that rule. Either one works for me.

I think the current carnival policy of 1 750ml bottle per adult is fair. Bring them in your carry-on and you're good to go. They don't charge corkage fees like other lines. I always bring 2 bottles with us. Hubby doesn't really like wine so both bottles are really for me and since I keep them in our cabin, I can have a glass with (or after) dinner every night by just filling my glass before we wander over to the MDR. I have been tempted to bring other things, but reconsidered because it would be my luck that I would get busted.

Some of us don't really care about the supposed cutbacks (and to me, some are improvements such as getting rid of the Lido deck band) and don't want them reversed as that would lead to an increase in price. If I wanted to pay more for a cruise I could just sail Princess or RCCL.