observed dress code

stereo

JUSTIFICATION! Another excuse not to dress up on Formal night. I think they have all been used.

Travel too far.

Airlines restrictions.

Dress up during work.

On holiday/vacation.

Lets get over it and hear a new one.

Going on a river cruise! LOL

"Dress up clothes? We ain’t got no dress up clothes! We don’t need no dress up clothes! I don’t have to show you any stinking dress up clothes!". [My apologies to the film 'Sierra Madre' for paraphrasing it's lines]

Edited by boogs

Bottom line is some people like to flout the rules and guidelines and a lot of them could not look dressed up in a $100000- suit or dress, old guys in budgie smugglers , large ladies in bikinis they don't know or care that they look silly , dress according to the occasion if you want to look like a complete berk suit yourself. Personally we like going out smartly dressed and hopefully those that wish to "dress down" or spend the day and evening in beach wear will find another cruise to go on ....

I think this is all about the rules and how some can not stand to see someone not following them. On NCL where it is always resort casual you see people dressed up all the time having a great time as are the people who are not dressed up. On a line like X when people do not follow the rules and not dress for formal night the people who do somehow have their cruise ruined. Why is that?

Actually, I think this is all about the rules and how some can NOT stand to follow them. Celebrity publishes the dress code on their website, and on your cruise documents. I cannot understand why someone would voluntarily purchase a product that has certain expectations from the purchaser and then ignore those expectations for their own convenience. Is this how these people act in other aspects of life? Do they dress down when attending a wedding, funeral, business meetings, etc. Do they ignore all other aspects of normal social behavior when they find it too much trouble?

Sadly, the answer to my questions is YES. Respect for the common good is no longer practiced these days, especially by the younger demographic. It is the "all about ME" attitude that prevails. That the majority who cruise with Celebrity have chosen this line partially for the ambiance that Celebrity is trying to maintain is of no interest to them. It is what they want that is the ONLY thing that is important. So they ignore the guidelines and then complain about it, all the while ridiculing those who enjoy it and are disappointed that something they value is deteriorating.

Caring about others is becoming obsolete. :mad:

Edited by fortinweb

Actually, I think this is all about the rules and how some can NOT stand to follow them. Celebrity publishes the dress code on their website, and on your cruise documents. I cannot understand why someone would voluntarily purchase a product that has certain expectations from the purchaser and then ignore those expectations for their own convenience. Is this how these people act in other aspects of life? Do they dress down when attending a wedding, funeral, business meetings, etc. Do they ignore all other aspects of normal social behavior when they find it too much :

It drives me crazy when people talk about why choose a cruise line if you are not going to dress up to the nines....we choose a cruise for the itinerary. It so happens that the one we are going on only goes twice a year and this is the date that works for us. We are both going away for a month. I am taking one 26 inch suitcase with me and a beach bag. I am thinking long and hard about what I am taking with me.

I took 2 suitcases on a previous trip a couple of years ago and swore that I would never do it again. It was unmanageable...and I am fit 53 year old. My husband is taking a jacket...but only because I want to go to the dining room for snails and lamb chops. He is concerned about having to carry heavy black shoes. I told him to wear black socks with his black sandals...who looks at people's feet!

I am being a bit longwinded...but my point is we want good food in the dining room with a large table of fun people. Why should we not be able to partake of that just because my husband isn't wearing a jacket? He will be wearing a tie, which I understand isn't obligatory. The evening dress suggestions are just that, suggestions.

It drives me crazy when people talk about why choose a cruise line if you are not going to dress up to the nines....we choose a cruise for the itinerary. It so happens that the one we are going on only goes twice a year and this is the date that works for us. We are both going away for a month. I am taking one 26 inch suitcase with me and a beach bag. I am thinking long and hard about what I am taking with me.

I took 2 suitcases on a previous trip a couple of years ago and swore that I would never do it again. It was unmanageable...and I am fit 53 year old. My husband is taking a jacket...but only because I want to go to the dining room for snails and lamb chops. He is concerned about having to carry heavy black shoes. I told him to wear black socks with his black sandals...who looks at people's feet!

I am being a bit longwinded...but my point is we want good food in the dining room with a large table of fun people. Why should we not be able to partake of that just because my husband isn't wearing a jacket? He will be wearing a tie, which I understand isn't obligatory. The evening dress suggestions are just that, suggestions.

You have just proven the point. When you choose a cruise line you should be prepared to do as requested or make another choice. If I don't feel like dressing up for formal nights, I don't go to the dining room. Fortunately Celebrity provides other alternatives. The others who booked the cruise and follow the rules, expecting to have a formal night in the dining room, should have one. It's just not all about what you want. It's called consideration...that's why.

Was the itinerary. Celebrity wants people on their ships which is why they have some unique itineraries. Both my husband and I will be presentable because we want to eat in the dining room, but neither of us will be wearing heavy formal wear.

Being away for a month and taking clothing that you are just going to wear a couple of times is no fun. There is a big debate on the Holland America board at the moment re the dress code. Same argument as here...no one is winning. I was on Holland America for a week in June this year to Alaska. Saw very few tuxes, lots of men in jackets and quite a few in shirts without jackets. Everyone looked presentable in the dining room and everyone having fun.

Why should we be penalized for wanting to cruise to Australia then going to the Philippines and then Hong Kong and have to cart a jacket around with us?

I'll be traveling for a month on my next cruise in October and I have no problem handling two suitcases and I'm 70 years old. That's just an excuse. It takes an extra 30 seconds to handle the other bag and it's not even necessary to take another bag for a jacket. Just put it on while traveling if it's that big a deal.

Edited by Ma Bell

How many suitcases to carry is your choice. I am sure you are not hauling them around tube stations, buses, dragging them along streets and up lots of stairs. People don't want to cart around piles of luggage any more. More chance of things going missing. We use the laundry on the ship and pack so that things match.

As travel is becoming more of a pain in the neck, people are wanting to keep things simple. I am just stating a fact.

Also, there is no way my husband is going to walk around in a jacket on vacation. We are very casual people and unless the only part of the trip is the cruise, then that is totally impractical and he would look ridiculous!

Edited by Theodorable

Do you bring your luggage with you when walking around on vacation? Once you get where you are going you leave it in the room. As you said we all have choices and if you don't care to dress up for formal nights to at least the bare minimum then just choose to eat elsewhere for a couple of nights. Problem solved.

I really like being in the dining room at a large table having a good meal with fun people. I don't want to be forced to go to the buffet or eat in my cabin. I like snails, lamb chops etc. i just think there is room in the dining room for everyone as long as they are dressed respectably.

Also, our trip is a cruise...for relaxing, and then more adventure stuff. We still have to cart suitcases around and the fewer the better. We don't use cabs to get from one place to another, we use public transport lots of the time. We don't necessarily stay long in one place.

I think we should just agree to disagree as our vacation types (other than the cruise portion) sound very different.

How many suitcases to carry is your choice. I am sure you are not hauling them around tube stations, buses, dragging them along streets and up lots of stairs. People don't want to cart around piles of luggage any more. More chance of things going missing. We use the laundry on the ship and pack so that things match.

As travel is becoming more of a pain in the neck, people are wanting to keep things simple. I am just stating a fact.

Also, there is no way my husband is going to walk around in a jacket on vacation. We are very casual people and unless the only part of the trip is the cruise, then that is totally impractical and he would look ridiculous!

How much luggage do you and DH drag along? Maybe a suggestion is to not drag them along and get a cab or share a cab with your friends?

So being casual means never to walk around in a jacket on vacation?

OK. I understand your point. But, when you attend a wedding, which only happens on the date chosen by the bride and groom, do you dress casually because you are only going for the couple's sake and shouldn't have to wear more than t-shirt and jeans because it is an infrequent occasion? In my view, the situations are similar. And, in my view, your argument is simply that you want to do whatever YOU want, and nothing is more important than that.

My wife and I travel frequently. We typically take longer cruises and always spend time on our own before and after the cruise. Last cruise/vacation we were gone 21 days. The time before that 20 days. Our next will be 24 days. We bring one small carry on each for items we may need during the plane ride, and one larger 26" check in luggage for the majority of our clothing items. We have never run out of clothing, and I bring a suit, tie, dress shirts and dress shoes, and she brings several nice dresses for formal nights. We each bring clothing that meets the "smart casual" guidelines for remaining nights. And, of course, the obligatory shorts, jeans, t-shirts and swimwear for casual times.

It has NEVER been a problem for us to meet the suggested guidelines, EVER. But, of course, we enjoy being part of the ambiance of the group, instead of stubbornly insisting to it our way like the "it's all about me" people insist on doing, so we actually make an effort to bring the appropriate items.

It is all about attitude. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

I'm definitely not missing the point. The only difference we have is I know that sometimes I can't have everything I want and I make my choices while still taking others into consideration. Obviously you don't feel that way.

Edited by Ma Bell

OK. I understand your point. But, when you attend a wedding, which only happens on the date chosen by the bride and groom, do you dress casually because you are only going for the couple's sake and shouldn't have to wear more than t-shirt and jeans because it is an infrequent occasion? In my view, the situations are similar. And, in my view, your argument is simply that you want to do whatever YOU want, and nothing is more important than that.

My wife and I travel frequently. We typically take longer cruises and always spend time on our own before and after the cruise. Last cruise/vacation we were gone 21 days. The time before that 20 days. Our next will be 24 days. We bring one small carry on each for items we may need during the plane ride, and one larger 26" check in luggage for the majority of our clothing items. We have never run out of clothing, and I bring a suit, tie, dress shirts and dress shoes, and she brings several nice dresses for formal nights. We each bring clothing that meets the "smart casual" guidelines for remaining nights. And, of course, the obligatory shorts, jeans, t-shirts and swimwear for casual times.

It has NEVER been a problem for us to meet the suggested guidelines, EVER. But, of course, we enjoy being part of the ambiance of the group, instead of stubbornly insisting to it our way like the "it's all about me" people insist on doing, so we actually make an effort to bring the appropriate items.

It is all about attitude.

Totally agree with you on this. We do the same and have never had to DRAG our stuff. We have rented cars, got transportation, etc., since we are on vacation and don't want to drag stuff. We budget for the extras such as a car or transportation.

"Dress up clothes? We ain’t got no dress up clothes! We don’t need no dress up clothes! I don’t have to show you any stinking dress up clothes!". [My apologies to the film 'Sierra Madre' for paraphrasing it's lines]

So, you have dress down clothes. That's OK we me. Didn't ask to see your stinking dress up clothes. LOL You can keep your stinking clothes regardless if they are dress up or dress down. LOL

So, now we can add stinking dress up/down clothes and age as other justifications. LOL

How much luggage do you and DH drag along? Maybe a suggestion is to not drag them along and get a cab or share a cab with your friends?

So being casual means never to walk around in a jacket on vacation?

I will be taking one 26 inch suitcase on wheels as I had partial knee replacement last November and can't carry a rucksack.

Also, as I have mentioned, we are going on an adventure part of our trip to the Philippines and Hong Kong. Why on earth would we want to cart around a dress jacket and dress shoes there....and wearing the jacket....I don't think so.

We can still look respectable, go to the dining room, and have a great diner without needing to be dressed to the nines.

To the person who mentioned the wedding scenario....the only wedding I have been to recently was within easy driving distance...again an outdoor wedding and the dress was smart casual.

I think many of you have no idea that there are vacations where you might want to "rough it" as we say in the UK. We are mixing 2 different types of vacation in one month. If it was only a cruise, then sure I would possibly take more but it's not so there needs to be compromise.

Edited by Theodorable

Was the itinerary. Celebrity wants people on their ships which is why they have some unique itineraries. Both my husband and I will be presentable because we want to eat in the dining room, but neither of us will be wearing heavy formal wear.

Being away for a month and taking clothing that you are just going to wear a couple of times is no fun. There is a big debate on the Holland America board at the moment re the dress code. Same argument as here...no one is winning. I was on Holland America for a week in June this year to Alaska. Saw very few tuxes, lots of men in jackets and quite a few in shirts without jackets. Everyone looked presentable in the dining room and everyone having fun.

Why should we be penalized for wanting to cruise to Australia then going to the Philippines and then Hong Kong and have to cart a jacket around with us?

If many "Cruise Travelers"/ read these purist cruisers post they might not every use some cruise lines.

We are cruise travelers and do much traveling before or after on our own, and pack light. I see no reason not to enjoy the MDR, on any given night, we will look nicer, perhaps better that many on formal nights, but not FORMAL.

I have to say on all my cruises on both RC and X formal night is no longer truly formal or special except the minds of those who wish it to be as Formal as the good/golden old days of cruising where only the rich could use the nicer parts of the ship.

Will these dress code threads ever end

I am so excited. I got a car.

I think it is the perfect car for me.

Now people tell me I HAVE TO make monthly car payments, buy a License, Insurance & Gasoline

This cannot be right !!!

I don't want to do that... I am far too casual for that

I don't like dealing with the Banks, Govt. or Oil Companies

I just want to have my pretty car my way... And drive it on the roads in my town

(Not like I want to drive across the whole State / Province / Country so why would I need a Govt issued Plate ? )

No one should FORCE ME to do these things

I should be able to drive my car as I please

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't get it

I've been involved in various aspects of travel my whole life

And I have never understood why it is people dish out so much of their precious money and limited time (hard earned vacation time) on products they have done so little research on

Next to my house, and my car... My vacations represent a good chunk of investment for me (when you add together time, money and expectation)

So to buy something without thoroughly researching it first is beyond me

Celebrity is very upfront on their website (and other materials) about their product and how it works when it comes to Dining Options... Including Dress Code

If the Dress Code didn't meet my needs then I'd look for another company...

Same way that if I was looking at transportation options (buying a car) I wouldn't just shell out the money without thinking... I would not pick a car automatically cause everyone else had one or it was pretty... I'd buy one only if I could afford it and it met my lifestyle

Celebrity gives cruisers options... Including eating in a variety of spots on Formal Nights that aren't formal (Smart Casual & Casual are for everywhere else those nights except the MDR)

And even ordering from the MDR Menu for Room Service (so don't tell me you'll miss out on a Special Dish)

You are expected to wear a bathing suit in the pool if you want to swim

You are expected to wear a jacket in the MDR if you want in on Formal Nights

If this doesn't suit you... Then choose to eat elsewhere on board. Or pick a different cruise line, or a different type of vacation altogether.

It is not that complicated

Despite what some of you want us to think... Celebrity IS NOT holding you hostage with their options...

You are holding yourself Hostage because you choose to

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

What a load of codswallop. I have already mentioned itinerary as the reason for this cruise. If you look at my cruise history we don't restrict ourselves to one line. We want to go to Australia and Celebrity happens to be going there...could just have easily been Carnival. Our trip is not only a cruise. It't really not difficult to understand why we don't want to carry around a jacket and dress shoes. We will look presentable and we will go to the dining room and have a lovely dinner.

To be honest I get it. The not wanting to pack a jacket if it doesn't fit with YOUR PLANS

We aren't beyond doing that ourselves.

In fact when it comes to me and my enjoyment of the cruise... I don't care what YOU do.

Just I don't see why you should kick up a fuss, be that in the MDR or here on CC... IF the Maitre D decides that your being without said jacket lies outside of CELEBRITY's PLANS for the Dining Room the evening you show up sans jacket

Cheers!

To be honest I get it. The not wanting to pack a jacket if it doesn't fit with YOUR PLANS

We aren't beyond doing that ourselves.

In fact when it comes to me and my enjoyment of the cruise... I don't care what YOU do.

Just I don't see why you should kick up a fuss, be that in the MDR or here on CC... IF the Maitre D decides that your being without said jacket lies outside of CELEBRITY's PLANS for the Dining Room the evening you show up sans jacket

Cheers!

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is Celebrity's decision as to whether they let someone in without a jacket, not the other passengers, and from many reports, they are doing this more and more on some of the ships.

What someone wears to the MDR has never had an impact on my cruise (other than I'll dress down to cocktail attire instead of formal attire to fit in a little better on my next cruise) or my dining experience (the food tastes just as good if someone at my table is in formal wear or not). If someone is really concerned with what others are wearing, possibly they need to sit at a table for 2, so they won't be disappointed if one of their tablemates is not dressed up to their expectations.

The only time in my lifetime of traveling that what someone was not wearing grossed me out and a number of us complained, was when I was on a trip down the Amazon and a man came down to the first night's dinner (which was also the Captain's welcome dinner) without shoes on. The captain sent him back to his cabin to put on a pair of shoes.

Edited by NLH Arizona

To the person who mentioned the wedding scenario....the only wedding I have been to recently was within easy driving distance...again an outdoor wedding and the dress was smart casual.

What difference does "a short distance" have to do with it? Isn't it about respecting the requests of your host, regardless of where it is? Are you telling me that if they had requested suit and tie for men and an elegant dress for women, you would still have dressed "smart casual"? Sorry, but your excuse falls flat.

I think many of you have no idea that there are vacations where you might want to "rough it" as we say in the UK. We are mixing 2 different types of vacation in one month. If it was only a cruise, then sure I would possibly take more but it's not so there needs to be compromise.

We are visiting Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia before our next cruise. Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam will be "adventure" style, Thailand will be vegetating at a beach resort with nothing more to do than order the next tropical drink. We will STILL be bringing appropriate clothing for formal nights. This doesn't mean a tux for me and an elaborate gown for my wife, but it does mean respecting the recommended guidelines, which is a suit and tie for myself and evening gowns for my wife. Not difficult for us at all - because we aren't fighting it.

As I said earlier, we aren't the "all about me" types and actually enjoy sharing events with other people, be it backyard BBQs or formal nights on a cruise, and will dress according to the host's requests. Obviously, you are very different from us.

Edited by boogs

Why don't you just mail the 'cruise leftovers' home and continue on your merry way?

Also, as I had double knee replacements (simultaneous!) I am puzzled as to why a rucksack evenly carried on your back would bother your artificial knee. That was kind of the whole point of going through that rather gruesome surgery was that it would be easier to carry the extra loads. And yet going on an 'adventurous' tour seems to be no problem...

We went to Australia last year cruised there and back and spent 6 weeks there. We left our cruising clothes in the Hotel in Sydney for the time we spent touring Australia and New Zealand. Picked the suitcase up and boarded the ship.(no charge).

There is no reason you can not do this and be dressed appropriately on Formal nights in the MDR.

We went to Australia last year cruised there and back and spent 6 weeks there. We left our cruising clothes in the Hotel in Sydney for the time we spent touring Australia and New Zealand. Picked the suitcase up and boarded the ship.(no charge).

There is no reason you can not do this and be dressed appropriately on Formal nights in the MDR.

We almost always have a 2-3 wk land trip before or after our cruise. Our fancy cruise clothes don't accompany us on our road trip. You can leave them in your hotel, sometimes for a small charge, or leave them at the airport in "left luggage". Clothes for our road trip take up one suitcase for both of us, and it is not a behemoth either, for obvious reasons.

When we are "just cruisin" we like to dress upscale, tux and all, and I get to bring more shoes.:)

Will these dress code threads ever end
Yes, probably within the next few years as formal dress requirements are gradually phased out, or else limited to one smaller dining area as the trend continues toward multiple and varied smaller dining venues on ships, away from the concept of one large dining room for everyone.

Just looking around the main dining room on formal nights, one can see a huge difference in the way passengers are dressing now compared to 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

But no need for concern as there will always be some new controversial threads to take the place of these entertaining dress code arguments. :D