observed dress code

stereo

I think Americans in general tend to be more casual in dress, but I am not sure I agree with your first statement regardless of that fact. If you read some of the long and contentious dress code threads, you will see many Americans who favor the dress code as is (and I am one). Onboard, unless you actually meet and talk with the people, I am not sure how you know they are Americans or not? There are plenty of cruise choices out there where casual is king. It would be nice if Celebrity kept the formal option alive and well for those who prefer it.

Agree. Despite the fact that there are heated topics concerning the Dress Code here on CC, by observation it would seem that most Male Pax comply in one way or another (be that a Tux, Suit, or Sports Jacket).

Truly only a small group who try not to... But they do seem to complain loudly (and more than once to get their point across)

Sorry, I do not get the injustice they claim...

1- There are lots of other cruise lines to choose from (just like any other product... Not every single thing in life is right for everyone)

2- Celebrity is upfront with this info... Read up on something BEFORE you buy it.

3- Celebrity offers alternatives... Only 1 venue is Formal... Everywhere else is Smart Casual or Casual.

Just because you'd like the world to be a certain way for you :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean it always is going to be so.

Mr Sloop & I are among the majority who enjoy Formal Nights... Dressing up, having our pic taken with the Captain, enjoying a great meal, and a show are part of what we love about cruising.

If the time comes we feel differently... We'll either find another cruise line, or a different venue... Afterall there are about a half dozen per ship at Dinner to choose from.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

But I do wish RCI would establish a area, restaurant for those who wish to do the Formal event. I have heard that the new Quantum of the Seas will have this.

On a RC cruise last week, formal night should have been renamed DRESS UP NIGHT. Very few tux or even suits, sports coat were seen but many in lesser dress, however, many were dressed in fabulous elegant looks in modern clothes.

Unfortunately, many, especially women should take note and remember the old RC line, "just because they make it you size, maybe you should not wear it".

Unfortunately, many, especially women should take note and remember the old RC line, "just because they make it you size, maybe you should not wear it".
I've seen too many men in ill fitting clothes and, not to mention, most in speedos shouldn't be wearing them...yes, even if they make it in their size, maybe they should look in the mirror before wearing it.

Star type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" height="250" width="100%" id="swf_16223477404689890dd40be" data="http://maps.virtualtourist.com/mapster/flash/vtwib.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,45,0">Get Your Own MapView Larger Map

Hey north29... Based on looking at the above gibberish in your signature, I don't think I'll bother clicking on the "get your own map" link... :eek:

Hi all Celebrity Cruisers

I do hope you do not take exception to a non Celebrity Cruiser throwing in their contribution to this thread.

I am a very proud Scotsman who cruises on a very regular basis with the UK based cruise line P&O who still enforce a Formal night Dress Code on their ships which is adhered to by 99% of passengers, on a formal night I wear Scottish National Dress either a Kilt or on some nights Tartan Trews, other passengers IE: English, Welsh and Northern Irish will wear Dinner Suits/ Tuxs and a few in smart Lounge suits.

But even here in the UK we have the vociferous few who keep trying to push the boundaries regarding Formal wear as if there were not enough cruise lines catering for those who wish to dress casual . Going on my annual cruise is the only occasion I get to wear formal wear and that is why I chose a cruise line that still enforces Dress Standards. We are perhaps a dying breed. Happy cruising to you all.

I do hope you do not take exception to a non Celebrity Cruiser throwing in their contribution to this thread.

I am a very proud Scotsman who cruises on a very regular basis with the UK based cruise line P&O who still enforce a Formal night Dress Code on their ships which is adhered to by 99% of passengers, on a formal night I wear Scottish National Dress either a Kilt or on some nights Tartan Trews, other passengers IE: English, Welsh and Northern Irish will wear Dinner Suits/ Tuxs and a few in smart Lounge suits.

But even here in the UK we have the vociferous few who keep trying to push the boundaries regarding Formal wear as if there were not enough cruise lines catering for those who wish to dress casual . Going on my annual cruise is the only occasion I get to wear formal wear and that is why I chose a cruise line that still enforces Dress Standards. We are perhaps a dying breed. Happy cruising to you all.

Thanks for letting everyone know, that there are folks from everywhere that don't dress to the code, not just those from the United States. On one of my Celebrity cruises out of Rome, a family (not from the United States or UK) never dressed formally on the formal nights. The five of them (parents and three children) wore casual clothes everynight, except for one when their small daughter wore a tutu otherwise it was jeans and t-shirts everynight and back then, I don't think jeans were allowed even on smart casual night. Edited by NLH Arizona

Personally I LOVE seeing men in Formal Wear (very sexy)

And by all accounts many women do... It truly can be an aphrodisiac

Tuxes, Dress Uniforms, Kilts & Ntl Dress all do it for me.

I can man watch this eye candy all night long !!

Lol, I've always said that if more men actually knew how much this turns a woman's eye... Maybe there would be less protestors

Personally, I cannot wait until my December cruise, when I'll be enjoying the evening with my own James Bond (ala the Sean Connery era)... Mr Sloop

Cheers!

I wish they would either enforce the dress code or just get rid of it. What's the point of a dress code if people wear anything they want?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree!!! It almost seems like those of us who choose to dress up feel out of place.

Oh ... I love a man in a kilt -- especially on formal nights! :cool: May I ask what your clan's tartan is?

I adhere to the dress code because I LOVE dressing up. I understand others' do not want to and that does not diminish my enjoyment of the cruise. But, and this is a big But... why publish a dress code? Our last cruise has the sloppiest dressers I have ever seen and on formal night - jeans, flannel shirt, and suspenders in the MDR. I just had to laugh.

I've seen too many men in ill fitting clothes and, not to mention, most in speedos shouldn't be wearing them...yes, even if they make it in their size, maybe they should look in the mirror before wearing it.

If they are so clueless to wear a speedo when they shouldn't, I would bet that if they saw themselves in a mirror, that same cluelessness would have them think they are quite the sexy guy! :D

Hi wwcruisers

Being of Irish descent I do not have a Scottish Tartan, but I have adopted the Scottish Anderson Tartan and I am VERY proud and privileged to wear it as it was the Tartan I chose for my wedding.

Just "googled" the Anderson Tartan -- very nice! :cool:

A kilt is considered formal wear, is it not? I've seen more than a few men in them, especially on New Years cruises. Dinner Suites and Lounge suites are also formal wear as far as I know.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou

be careful what you wish for, we were on the Reflection in April and there were a group of middle aged women, who roamed the ship, wearing two piece bikini's that were 4 sizes too small, there was more hanging out than was kept in. Saw them at muster drill, sunset deck and in a lounge. let me tell you the bath robe would have been an improvement.

Mmmmmmm not thought of that. Perhaps those robes cover a multitude of sins (and other bits and bobs) after all.....;)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

A kilt is considered formal wear, is it not? I've seen more than a few men in them, especially on New Years cruises. Dinner Suites and Lounge suites are also formal wear as far as I know.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou

I find this interesting. Some posters will go as far as coping and pasting in their posts Celebrity’s suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR. Nowhere in Celebrity’s suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR dose it list Kilts as Formal wear. Not that it isn't, just not listed as. Just an observation...

Edited by davekathy

Hi davekathy

I think you will find that the Scottish National Dress of The Kilt or Tartan trews worn with the correct accoutrements are recognised as Formal Wear throughout the world, and it is well represented among passengers on Celebrity Ships when sailing from European ports but perhaps not so when sailing from American Ports as it is quite heavy when complying with Airline Luggage weight limits. I have been on a number of cruises where a I wear it on the formal nights and I have been complimented on how smart I look and requested to have a photograph taken with other passengers.

I LOVE seeing a man in a kilt! But my grandma was a McGregor and my great-grandma was a Sutherland (from Ayre -- ended up in Liverpool and my Mum married my Italian-American father who was in the US Air Force).

Vivien

I find this interesting. Some posters will go as far as coping and pasting in their posts Celebrity’s suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR. Nowhere in Celebrity’s suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR dose it list Kilts as Formal wear. Not that it isn't, just not listed as. Just an observation...

Perhaps because the majority of Celebrity cruisers are from North America. There are a number of countries where their definition of formal wear would not match ours but it is still formal wear. I'm thinking of Asian or African countries where the dress is quite different from what we are use to but they still have formal wear.

Mary Lou

Protocol Note...

Countries the world over recognize as I said in a previous post the following as formal wear... Tuxedos (dark colours), Dinner Jackets (white), Dress Uniforms (Active Military - Police - Firemen - and some organizations... Such as Scouting, Guiding, Legionnaires) and National Dress (including Scottish Kilts)

As someone who has attended many such occasions as part of my job, it is always great to see those who come turned out in something other than the standard black tux.

Cheers!

We just returned from the 8/17 sailing of the Summit, and I observed that most people, including the 500 children onboard, respected the dress code. We did not see any shorts, tees, flip-flops, etc, in the MDR, and on formal night, just about everyone made an effort to dress up nicely.

We were on the July 13th sailing of the Summit and, for the most part, everyone also followed the dress code. The Maitre d' turned several gentlemen in Bermuda Shorts away on smart casual night even though they also wore jackets with them. He did allow several children in with shorts and did not stop a disabled man, maybe in his 50's, that also wore shorts to the dining room.

The last couple of cruises we have not packed for formal nights and have enjoyed one of the specialty restaurants on those evenings. I am of the feeling that if it is going to be stated it should be enforced. We would have no problem if it went smart casual all the time, but that is just our opinion.