Explorer propulsion problem....

Cellphones work on Royal ships. You would have to check with your carrier for pricing, but AT&T charges $2.49 per minute and $0.50 per text sent.

AT&T also offers a package. Rates start at $30. for cellular call, 60 for calls plus texts, and 120 for calls, texts and internet (they give you a certain amount of minutes, texts and internet) All listed on their web site. They offer this plan for Royal and Celebrity.

I just checked on this today with Verizon and it's the exact same as AT&T. $2.49 per min, $.50 per text sent and $.05 per text received.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Only difference is, AT&T don't charge for incoming texts

Thanks for the info.

I've got some really tight excursions planned for an upcoming Explorer 9 night. Did you make the rest of the ports on time?

Thanks,

IC

We left on time which was fine as everything closed by 6pm, we had to be on by 7:30. The rest of the ports we were on time but Puerto Rico was only 6 hours as well.

Yes we made it back. We are still on board the water was a little choppy going and coming. We had one day of sun yesterday. Now for the fun

Yes the ship had a propulsion problem causing a vibration. The shop came to a complete stop one time going and coming back to take readings on the izopod. Yes they informed us of all going on.

Depending on your stateroom depend on your obc. We received 300.00 for the balcony room.

Will post more later just want to get home.

As many times as we have been on Explorer, I have never seen any tugboats make contact with Explorer hull. They are always standing by as a precautionary measure.

I wonder when she will be fixed if indeed she does have a bent shaft.

Many ports require a tug/s to be present whether they are used or not, don't know if this is the case today or not. There sometimes can be a slightly reduced tug charge if they are only used to stand by. They might also elect to use the tug because of special circumstances, ie. wind, height of tide, current or other weather related issues and if the ship had any technical issues.

As far as repairs... if indeed it is the fixed pod and they are in the process of removing the propeller, I don't imagine they will make repairs until after she goes into the yard which I believe is after the six month season out of Port Canaveral. They can run those ships years without the center pod.

Many ports require a tug/s to be present whether they are used or not, don't know if this is the case today or not. There sometimes can be a slightly reduced tug charge if they are only used to stand by. They might also elect to use the tug because of special circumstances, ie. wind, height of tide, current or other weather related issues and if the ship had any technical issues.

As far as repairs... if indeed it is the fixed pod and they are in the process of removing the propeller, I don't imagine they will make repairs until after she goes into the yard which I believe is after the six month season out of Port Canaveral. They can run those ships years without the center pod.

You are absolutely correct. The fact remains if they will be operating without the fixed pod as the ship will be cruising at a slower speed until it's fixed.

Welcome back and....

Have a great cruise for those sailing today.

(any chance you can write down the names of the menus for dinner in order ;) )

41 days............... coming up fast

You don't trust the answers you got in the other thread the last time you asked for this information? ;)

Thank you everyone for the information in this thread! I'll be on Explorer on the next 9 Day Bermuda/Caribbean trip.

If our itinerary were to change, when do you think RCI would make that call? Would they be more likely to cancel a port stop or reduce time at one or more ports? I know that no port is guaranteed and I'm trying to keep a "whatever happens, we'll have fun" perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for the information in this thread! I'll be on Explorer on the next 9 Day Bermuda/Caribbean trip.

If our itinerary were to change, when do you think RCI would make that call? Would they be more likely to cancel a port stop or reduce time at one or more ports? I know that no port is guaranteed and I'm trying to keep a "whatever happens, we'll have fun" perspective.

No way to predict. Depends on many factors.

OK.

But it won't make sense to arrange transportation for 1:30 if the ship is consistently clearing customs at 2:30 on this itinerary.

All aboard is 7:30. I'm pleased that 5 hours was enough for your plans but that may not hold true for others.

The ship does not take that long to clear customs.

If the ship is delayed about an hour or so, they usually make arrangements to inform the tour operators waiting for you as they did when we were on board.

5 hours was enough for us, and may not hold true for you or others. Everybody has their own plans of what to do in port! But in the end it was really no big deal...........at least for us!

Edited by Arzeena

You don't trust the answers you got in the other thread the last time you asked for this information? ;)

Ha.. good to have backup info. :D

Still haven't picked nights to eat at restaurant.. lol.

If they can't fix it i'm fine going a bit slower. As long as she still sails:D

Wow, this thread has engendered a mental picture of a cruise ship in a hurricane with no (or inadequate) propulsion! Scary image. :eek:

The two ships may have sailed out "together" just to help each other out, if necessary...

Anyone have a recent update from Explorer?

YES! It was very scary. We left Bermuda early to "beat" the hurricane with a propulsion problem that we were never told was "fixed" until late Tuesday morning when were also told that we still needed to completely stop the ship for "readings". All I had going through my head was the ship breaking down and the hurricane on our tail. If you watched the captain's speech (I saw it on the tv) he showed us exactly where we would be and where Cristobal would be as we sailed. It was quite frightening. Thoughts of the ship not moving fast enough or completely breaking down with a hurricane following us was not very comforting. Of course that was my "worst case scenario" thinking but you know how your mind always goes there at some point before you talk some sense into yourself...