Using debit card on check-in.

rgmiller66

Don't do it! We used a debit card on our first cruise and they accidentally double billed us. It took several days to get the extra reversed and the whole time, we were racking up overdraft fees.

I believe what actually happens is that with debit cards is that when the merchant can't be sure of what the final charge will be, they put a hold on a particular amount of the funds. Then, when the sale is finalized (in this case, at the end of the cruise), they charge you for whatever the actual total is. The problem is that the hold usually takes several additional days to be released, so it can seem as though it's been double billed. And if there isn't enough in your bank account to cover both the hold amount and the actual amount, you'll be overdrawn. These types of holds also frequently occur when using a debit card at the gas pump or when checking into a hotel.

I believe what actually happens is that with debit cards is that when the merchant can't be sure of what the final charge will be, they put a hold on a particular amount of the funds. Then, when the sale is finalized (in this case, at the end of the cruise), they charge you for whatever the actual total is. The problem is that the hold usually takes several additional days to be released, so it can seem as though it's been double billed. And if there isn't enough in your bank account to cover both the hold amount and the actual amount, you'll be overdrawn. These types of holds also frequently occur when using a debit card at the gas pump or when checking into a hotel.

I'm aware that that happens, but our first cruise they double billed us. Their mistake, the admitted it and worked with us to correct it. Bank of America compounded the problem when the deposited the refund in the saving account instead of the checking account

I work at a bank and see all type of weird stuff with debit cards.

My point is if there is an error, fraud, theft, whatever, you get to fight to get your money back. With a credit card, you are fighting on what you are being charged. A lot of difference. A lot of times people don't know there is a problem until they get their bank statement.

Most cruise lines accept them but have comments regarding holds, recommendations against using them, etc.

That and I always travel with a backup credit card just in case I lose one, problems with one, whatever. Anyone remember Clark Griswald in Vacation?

Is it okay to use a debit card when checking in?

As you know by using a debit card you are giving the merchant direct access to your checking account. It is much safer and there is more security in using a credit card upon check in.

it is accepted. The card will be charged 300 - 500 upon check in, and will bey charged throughout the trip to guarantee there are funds available.

This is not accurate. I have cruised with celebrity seven times in the past four years, always used a debit card and have never been charged anything until I actually spent money.

The issue with using a debit or credit card is that as you spend celebrity will put a hold on the amount you have spent which will then be held on the card for several days. This could happen a few times depending on your spend and the length of the cruise. If you don't have a lot of funds in your account or on your credit card then this can cause an issue for people.

I generally estimate the amount I'm going to spend onboard and deposit that amount in dollars onto my account, I'm then only charged for the overspend :D

I would never ever use a debit card when on vacation.

I think it depends where you are from and where you are going. I'm from Scotland and using a debit or credit card in Europe makes no difference at all. You are covered for any fraudulent activity. There's no feeling of "the merchant will have access to my bank account" because they have no more access with a debit card than they do a credit card.

I'm presuming that there's a reason that people from North America are nervous of using debit cards?

To take credit or debit cards here you have to go through some pretty stringent security tests every few months with the provider.

Most merchants who scan the card in advance of the final transaction do an "authorization" to make sure the card is valid and has enough money to cover the estimated charges. Examples of merchants who do this is hotels, car rental companies, cruise ships and even some gas stations.

With a credit card the authorization is just a memo entry although it might reduce your total line of credit as they reserve against it. With a debit card they temporarily remove the funds from your account when the authorization is made.

The real problem comes through if the final charge isn't matched to the authorization by the card company or if the actual charge is significantly less than the authorization. This happens very frequently and maybe even the majority of the time when the amounts are different or separated by days. With a credit card it is no big deal. With a debit card it can result in extra funds being removed from your account which might not be returned for many days. If you have lots of extra money in your bank account it is no big deal but if you'll need the cash in your account within the next week or so it can cause big trouble for you.

Because of these issues some businesses of this type do not accept debit cards although I believe that Celebrity does accept them - although I'm not positive since I've never used one there.

Personally, I don't like debit cards at all and try not to carry or use them. Blindrid made the point I'd make in her post above: With a credit card problem you're arguing you don't have to pay a bill but with a debit card problem your money is gone and you have to argue to get it back. The whole process of correcting a problem might take a while which is usually not an issue with a credit card but is an issue if you're out of cash and don't have a bank account to use.

Edited by Lsimon

I'm aware that that happens, but our first cruise they double billed us. Their mistake, the admitted it and worked with us to correct it. Bank of America compounded the problem when the deposited the refund in the saving account instead of the checking account

Ok, but in your case it doesn't sound like it happened specifically because you used a debit card rather than a credit card. It was simply error on the cruise line's part, so likely would have occurred no matter what kind of card you used.

Ok, but in your case it doesn't sound like it happened specifically because you used a debit card rather than a credit card. It was simply error on the cruise line's part, so likely would have occurred no matter what kind of card you used.

That might be true but illustrates the point that with a credit card issue you argue that you don't have to pay the bill but with a debit card you're already out the money and have to fight to get it back. Big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
That might be true but illustrates the point that with a credit card issue you argue that you don't have to pay the bill but with a debit card you're already out the money and have to fight to get it back. Big difference.

You're 100% correct. I am not one against debit cards as I almost totally rely on mine. BUT, I selectively don't use them on cruises, foreign transactions, online and restaurants. That's when I use credit. To me, it's a no-brainer.

Is it okay to use a debit card when checking in?
All the people here telling you to use a credit card instead of a debit card are giving you very good advice.

With a debit card, when you charge something, the money is withdrawn from your bank account.

If your debit card should be lost or stolen or compromised, a thief can clean out your entire bank account.

Even if an honest mistake is made, extra money can be taken out of your bank account, as happened to the previous poster who got double billed.

But that cannot happen if you use a credit card because the credit card does not touch your bank account.

You are not paying anything at all when you use a credit card, but only signing an agreement to pay later.

So you don't actually pay any money until the next billing cycle, after you have had ample time to review all the charges on your next credit card statement.

If you should see an invalid charge on your statement, you just contest it and do not pay anything until the dispute is resolved.

If the previous poster who was accidentally double billed had used a credit card instead of a debit card, the money never would have been withdrawn from the bank account in the first place.

Therefore, the mistake of the money being redeposited into the wrong account never could have occurred.

Edited by fleckle

This is not accurate. I have cruised with celebrity seven times in the past four years, always used a debit card and have never been charged anything until I actually spent money.

The issue with using a debit or credit card is that as you spend celebrity will put a hold on the amount you have spent which will then be held on the card for several days. This could happen a few times depending on your spend and the length of the cruise. If you don't have a lot of funds in your account or on your credit card then this can cause an issue for people.

I generally estimate the amount I'm going to spend onboard and deposit that amount in dollars onto my account, I'm then only charged for the overspend :D

We've used a debit card twice, it's not something we would do again.

The process we've seen is:

1. As you make charges, they take daily or immediate authorizations.

2. The authroize the entire amount at the end of the cruise. If some authorizatinos from the beginning of the cruise have fallen off, great, otherwise you're double charged.

3. A day or two later, once they do a final reconcilliation, they actually put the final charge through. The end of cruise authorization they do (the night before you get off, to make sure the money is there and you're allowed to disembark without a problem), is almost certainly not gone.

Most hotels don't do it quite this way, but it is similar.

If you have plenty of money to spare and in your checking account, I would worry about it less, as there are protections for any card marked VISA or MC from the issuing bank, but in the mean time, you will be out $$ from your checking account. My experience in the states is those people using debit cards probably don't have credit cards or the extra funds in their checking accounts to account for this.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Good advice on here about why to NOT use a debit card. The debit takes the money immediately from your bank account - whether through an actual charge or as a hold on an amount - if there are disputed charges - the money is gone and you must try to get it back. A credit card is much safer. Also if you ever use a machine that has had the scanner compromised - the crooks are getting directly into your account. Credit card is always the safest way. Use it like a debit card - by paying off the balance each month.

We've used a debit card twice, it's not something we would do again.

The process we've seen is:

1. As you make charges, they take daily or immediate authorizations.

2. The authroize the entire amount at the end of the cruise. If some authorizatinos from the beginning of the cruise have fallen off, great, otherwise you're double charged.

3. A day or two later, once they do a final reconcilliation, they actually put the final charge through. The end of cruise authorization they do (the night before you get off, to make sure the money is there and you're allowed to disembark without a problem), is almost certainly not gone.

Most hotels don't do it quite this way, but it is similar.

If you have plenty of money to spare and in your checking account, I would worry about it less, as there are protections for any card marked VISA or MC from the issuing bank, but in the mean time, you will be out $$ from your checking account. My experience in the states is those people using debit cards probably don't have credit cards or the extra funds in their checking accounts to account for this.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I do have plenty of money in my current account so as you say don't need to worry. I also have credit cards :) as I mentioned anyone using any form of card needs to be aware of possible authorisations using up available funds and these authorisations or any errors may have an impact on other spending if taken from a debit card more than they would from a credit card.

My advice to anyone with limited funds would be either to have a cash account or put cash on your account with your card as backup.

Yes I'm well aware of that. My post was simply to explain to the person I responded to that the double didn't occur because they used a debit card rather than a credit card, as they had implied or seemed to think.

Those unaware of the basic differences between credit cards and debit cards would do well to heed the information you noted though.

:)

Good advice on here about why to NOT use a debit card. .... Credit card is always the safest way. Use it like a debit card - by paying off the balance each month.

Agree- use your credit card like a debit card and pay off balance each month. I also make sure I have a credit balance on my credit card when travelling in case I decide to purchase more expensive items such as jewellery (Florence, Caribbean etc), blown glass (Venice). As soon as I return from a cruise or land based trip, telephone for balance and pay immediately. Just like a debit card!!:D