Mayan ruin tours

Ryancoke

What is the best Carnival offering for Mayan ruins? I mean combination of ship, itinerary and anything else I should consider. Thanks.

We did a southern Caribbean on the Valor years ago and pulled into Cozumel and took a bus tour to Tulum. It was one of the coolest places I have ever seen on any cruise. Absolutely incredible, I was blown away.

Not sure what ship has that itinerary now, but I would check it out and see if you could find that tour. It was like 120 degrees that day, but it was an amazing spot.

That said, we also did a mayan tour in Belize. Can't remember the name of it but after Tulum it was NOT very impressive. I would skip that one.

Uxmal excursion from Port of Progresso. Great ruins that you can climb & explore. Definitely worth the 1.5 hr ride and the price. The bag lunch provided was not very good but there is a restaurant on site.

019.jpg.56edeac5221975f5cbdfb04ca411f362.jpg

What is the best Carnival offering for Mayan ruins? I mean combination of ship, itinerary and anything else I should consider. Thanks.

One that goes to Progreso and Cozumel. From Progreso, you can visit Chichen Itza, Uxmal or Mayapan. In Cozumel, if your port time allows, you can take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and go to Tulum from there. At Mayapan and Uxmal, you can climb the pyramid and walk on the structures but the other ones have closed their pyramids for climbers. Tulum has one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever set foot on. But your port time has to be long enough to allow travel to and from the mainland.

Edited by alligirl78

One that goes to Progreso and Cozumel. From Progreso, you can visit Chichen Itza, Uxmal or Mayapan. In Cozumel, if your port time allows, you can take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and go to Tulum from there. At Mayapan and Uxmal, you can climb the pyramid and walk on the structures but the other ones have closed their pyramids for climbers. Tulum has one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever set foot on. But your port time has to be long enough to allow travel to and from the mainland.

Chichen Itza is on my bucket list- but not this cruise because we have our 3 year old DD.

But I have been to Tulum and I agree the beach is breathtaking. There is one point where it is like a cliff and you can overlook the beach. Think gorgeous post card/ national geographic type of photo op. That is Tulum. We went there on a land vacation to Rivera Maya. I had seen pictures on trip advisor and knew that I had to go there. Even from the mainland it was a long trip, so I imagine it is from Cozumel. So I would do it via Carnival. But it was definitely worth it IMO, just for the scenery with the beach and ruins. It satisfied my beachy side and my nerdy historical side. The ferry from Cozumel to the mainland is pretty choppy though. Of course I was 6-8 weeks pregnant at the time and queasy, so that could have made it worse. ;)

That said, we also did a mayan tour in Belize. Can't remember the name of it but after Tulum it was NOT very impressive. I would skip that one.

Carnival doesn't do a tour to Lamanai, which I think are the best ruins in Belize. The one close to town that everyone visits with the ship tours are pretty unimpressive.

For Carnival tours, Mexico has the best sites that are reachable from Cozumel, Costa Maya or Progresso, depending on length of port stay.

We've done Lamanai and Xunantunich from Belize, not on the same day of course. Both well worth the trip.

We used this company for both of them: http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

We did the Carnival excursion for Tulum from Cozumel. It's also a long day and may not be offered if port time is not long enough.

We did Chichen Itza through Carnival from Progeso. When we went, we were able to climb the ruins. Not sure if you can still do that.

All are beautiful.

You can google each site and see what looks good to you and go from there.

Edited by KenMo

I'm not sure if carnival offers it or not, but I really enjoyed Coba better than Tulum. Tulum felt too manicured, but I found Coba had a more authentic feel to it. It's also much older that Tulum. I went there through Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app