First Time Cruiser - Needs He

acruisenoob

My husband and I are looking into booking our first cruise for January. We have never been to another country, on a cruise or away for more than a long weekend trip. We have a couple options in mind (all with carnival): 5 day on Elation to Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan, which is the cheapest or should we do a 7 night on Dream to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Jamaica? Also if we go with the 7 night there are still balcony rooms left and that is an option for us, so if you think we need the 7 day is it partial to splurge on a balcony room? As far as excursions go, we want one day exploring Mayan ruins and one day snorkeling and relaxing on the beach. Any advice on which ports to which of these activities would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by acruisenoob

My husband and I are looking into booking our first cruise for January. We have never been to another country, on a cruise or away for more than a long weekend trip. We have a couple options in mind (all with carnival): 5 day on Elation to Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan, which is the cheapest or should we do a 7 night on Dream to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Jamaica? Also if we go with the 7 night there are still balcony rooms left and that is an option for us, so if you think we need the 7 day is it partial to splurge on a balcony room? As far as excursions go, we want one day exploring Mayan ruins and one day snorkeling and relaxing on the beach. Any advice on which ports to which of these activities would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I suggest going for the 7 day - Dream is a newer ship with lots to do. You can do the ruins of Tulum in Cozumel (it's a long day but how often does one get the chance), and the Caymans are known for excellent snorkeling. Jamaica isn't my favorite stop, but the ship will offer some interesting tours.

The 7 day also gives you more of a flavor for what cruising is really like - you'll have 3 days at sea to enjoy the ship and relax/be on vacation, and the shorter cruises tend to be higher energy so you might be more tired when you get home than you like.

I am very partial to balconies. I especially like having room service bring breakfast and eating it out in the fresh air - and having a few minutes outside at night before bed. Also, there will be a lot of people on the ship so having a balcony gives you a place where you can be outdoors and still have some peace and quiet.

Whatever you pick I think you'll enjoy - all of the rest of us on these boards do! :) Let us know how it works out.

I haven't ever been to Progresso, so I can't help you there.

Cozumel is pretty nice for a beach day, the ferry over to the mainland is about 45 mins or so, if you are heading down to Tulum for the ruins it is about an hour drive. The ruins were interesting, but nothing on the scale of Chichen Itza. It was amazingly hot the day we went to Tulum, sorry to say but the best part of ruins was the beach to cool off.

Grand Cayman is a beautiful place, the beaches amazing, the diving is great, the so clear that standing on the dive boat we could see the bottom that was 80' below us. the trip to the stingray is very popular & kind of cool.

Mo Bay is... well it is Jamaica. Jamaica isn't one of my favorite islands but the beaches are nice, the horseback ride in the ocean is ok. Just be careful there, everyone will try to sell you anything.

Balcony, balcony, balcony!!!! Always book a balcony room, it gives you a place to hang out watch the water in peace & quiet.

Have a great time, you will be coming back for more cruises. Our first was 17 yrs ago, we have booked numbers,14,15 & 16 for next year. It is by far the best bang for your buck, and give you the chance to find places that you would want to revisit.

I agree with GaNavy. A five night cruise on the Elation does not compare to a 7 night cruise on the Dream. The Dream is a much newer ship, offers more amenities, two extra nights, and one extra port.

You can do the Mayan ruins in Coz, snorkel in GC, and do the beach at Montego Bay. Our first cruise did this same itinerary and we did exactly those excursions. It was a blast.

The Dream will be a much better experience, even if you end up going with an inside room to save money.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

First of all, congratulations on taking a vacation of more than a few days. I'm sure it is going to be delightful. I love winter cruising (November, December, January) in the Caribbean.

Grand Cayman is a fun place to snorkel. You may want to consider a snorkeling tour that also includes a stop to swim with the stingrays. I loved that experience.

I haven't been to Progresso yet, but I know you can take the tour to Tulum from Cozumel and it is a great experience as well.

As to cabins, there are no bad cabins and I have enjoyed cruises in interior cabins, oceanview cabins (where I appreciate the sofa that is not available in interior cabins), as well as balconies. There is something romantic about a balcony. Depending on your sleeping habits, you can slip onto your balcony to see the sun rise or to watch the sun set. You may also be able to watch the moon's reflection on the water. Plus the practical benefits of checking the weather before you head out for the day.

We had a cove balcony (down closer to the water than most balconies) on the Dream in January 2 years ago and we really enjoyed it. We're not big on toasting in the sun, and the cove balcony provided shade for most of the day. You might prefer a sunnier balcony but I love a shady one!

Whatever you decide, have a great time. You'll find that the boards here are full of ideas about making the most of your cruise, so welcome to cruise critic and welcome to cruising!

I also vote for the 7 day. Progresso doesn't offer much unless you do an excursion and they can often be long, requiring a drive to get to where you are going that can be over an hour. My least favorite port I have been to. However, the people I have talked to that have been on those excursions have absolutely loved them. It's just not my thing.

If you are unsure if you will enjoy cruising maybe a shorter one is for you, we did a 5 day and at the end I was wishing it was longer.

But I would vote for the 7 day. The ports are better and you can get a balcony on that trip. I personally wouldn't cruise without one. I love them.

Whatever you choose I know you will have a great time!

FWIW our first cruise was that 5 nighter to Progresso & Cozumel. At that time it was the Triumph from New Orleans. We booked a balcony because it was our first cruise and I wanted quick access to fresh air in case I got seasick. (9 cruises later now...it seems I don't get seasick but still always book balconies when available) We booked the 5 night again since it was our first cruise. It seemed to split the difference between the "short" cruises people warn you about and a full week "in case we hate it".

I now prefer the 7 days (or longer) by far but we've taken a couple more 5 nighters since as a quick get away. But 7 nights is a long time on a boat if you're miserable. My first inclination is to advise you to take the 5 night the first time just to see. But if you do that and like it, you'll wish you'd have taken the 7 night!!

I loved Progresso btw. It's not as whitewashed "Disney" as so many of the other ports are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterloomarc

I am going to chime in here and suggest taking the 5 day for your first cruise. Whenever anyone asks me about cruising, I always tell them to try the shorter cruises first to see if they like it, if it's for them, etc. Also, what is you get seasick and your stuck on a longer cruise? The Elation is a nice ship and smaller too. I sailed on the Breeze in June, and even after nine cruises, felt it was just too big for me. Sailed on the Inspiration two weeks ago and really liked how easy it was to get around and that I didn't have to walk do far to get to things. Try the shorter cruise first and then go on the longer one next :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would say, take the longer cruise if that is financially an option for you. I would also say, get the balcony if that's an option for you. I don't really care about balconies for myself, but a lot of people enjoy relaxing on them, especially in the morning and evening. Since it's your first cruise AND your first time out of the country, you should treat yourselves!

Have a great trip!

Simple math here.

7 Days > 5 Days.

Balcony > No balcony.

I'd definitely take the Dream in this scenario. That particular itinerary is probably the most popular one in the Caribbean.

Cozumel has a ridiculous amount of things to do, from snorkeling, beaching, bar hopping, scuba, snuba, dolphin stuff, etc. Personally I'm looking forward to my next cruise (Dream, January) to hit up Nachi Cocom, one of several all-inclusive beach clubs where you get pampered by the staff with unlimited alcohol and a 4 course meal.

Grand Cayman has some fantastic snorkeling. They're very very strict about laws that protect the reefs there, and it results in a fantastic stop for tourists like us. Many different snorkeling stops there, as well as Seven Mile Beach, whose name really irritates me since it's only 5.5 miles long. >:|

Oh and there's Jamaica. It's what you make of it. You'll see a lot of negative vibes around here about it, many of which are justified, some of which are not. It's just not the paradise that it was years ago. I'd definitely recommend planning something ahead for this destination rather than winging it like you can at the other ports. Book an excursion, get out and see the real Jamaica (not the run-down spot where the ship docks).

My thoughts are that any cruise is a fun cruise so you really can't go wrong. However while we are partial to smaller ships like the Elation and not opposed to the shorter trips, my choice would be the Dream for two significant reasons; A much newer ship and secondly the ports of call. Jamaica and Grand Cayman are much better, in MHO, than Progresso. We find Progresso to be a bit of a dump.

As far as a Balcony goes, I would highly suggest it. It gives you access to the view when you want to get away from the crowds and it's a great place for early mornings and evenings.

Enjoy the ride.

I am just not feeling the ruins from Cozumel

Its a long long day.

I spent more time on a bus then I did at the ruins themselves

you get to the island by a ferry-- which is a 30-40 minute ride-- then a bus to the ruins. and spend 2 hours at the ruins. and the heat boy was it hot.

--look to see progresso and what are the options they offer

Any cruise you can't go wrong with. I will be on the 7 night on the dream to those same places in about 10 days. I can't wait.

In Cozumel there was this beach club that we went to before and are going to again called Nachi Cocom, we did snorkeling there also (my sister signed us up for that I don't remember if it was through Nachi or some independent company), and it was the best snorkeling I have ever done. It is a gorgeous beach and the delicious food and drinks are included. You do need to sign up ahead of time since they only let in 100 people. I think the price is around $60 maybe.

Grand Cayman has great beaches and good snorkeling.

This will be my first time at Montego Jamacia, so I don't know. We are going to do Dr. Caves beach.

You'll have tons of fun no matter what cruise you choose. :D

I am going to chime in here and suggest taking the 5 day for your first cruise. Whenever anyone asks me about cruising, I always tell them to try the shorter cruises first to see if they like it, if it's for them, etc. Also, what is you get seasick and your stuck on a longer cruise? The Elation is a nice ship and smaller too. I sailed on the Breeze in June, and even after nine cruises, felt it was just too big for me. Sailed on the Inspiration two weeks ago and really liked how easy it was to get around and that I didn't have to walk do far to get to things. Try the shorter cruise first and then go on the longer one next :-)

I agree with this response, which seemed like one of the few that answered the question, "what should I (the OP) do" rather than "what would you (the experienced cruise enthusiast) do".

Most avid posters here are unwilling to admit that many people really do not enjoy themselves on cruise ships. While there are a lot of things to like, there are a lot of things to dislike. Potential seasickness is one of them. Being cooped up in a small cabin (compared to a standard hotel room) when not in port or elsewhere on the ship is another. Being stuck on someone else's schedule is the major one for me. You don't go to a port when you want to, you go after the ship arrives and only when they say you can go. And if you don't leave when they say you have to leave, well then you're in a world of trouble. Despite the number of food options on a cruise ship, ultimately you're stuck to what is still a limited number of choices for your 21 meals over the course of a week.

All of this isn't to say I hate cruises. It's just that there are pros and cons, which is why sometimes we vacation in Hawaii or Europe or Australia or we'll go camping or to an AI. And sometimes we book a cruise (or two, like our B2B last month).

Add to that that unless you live within easy driving distance of a departure port, the cost of a cruise vacation is typically in the range of 50% more expensive than a comparable regular vacation. The key hidden costs are the auto-tips (removable, but only at your peril), excursions and having to buy all your drinks at bar prices, rather than walking down to the grocery or liquor store like you might do on a regular vacation.

As far as what to do, I'd encourage you avoid the contrived "excursions" as much as possible. Someone suggested taking an excursion to see the "real Jamaica" rather than staying around the run-down port area. While I don't disagree with the sentiment, I'd argue that the run down port is the "real Jamaica".

Here's what we did, and recommend for the ports on your list that we have visited:

Jamaica - we usually like to rent a car and do our own thing in port. But we were advised not to try to "do it yourself" here as it is a high risk port of call. We book a day excursion to a beach resort.

Grand Cayman - 7 mile beach is a quick cab ride (or a very healthy walk) from the port. This beach day cost less than $50, including lunch, for a family of four and we thought it was our favourite day of the cruise.

Cozumel - we booked a ship's excursion to Tulum. I agree with all the posters. It is a long way to go (which is why we booked the ship's excursion) and not nearly as spectacular as Chichen Itza, but still worth doing if you're up for a long day.

I would advise using a travel agent specializing in cruise vacations if you aren't already. They can answer many of your questions and get you the best prices. They are also there if you run into problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest the 7 day on the Dream. It is a beautiful ship and lots to do, or just relaxing. If the balcony is an option for you, go for it. It took me 20yrs to get my husband on a cruise, he had a fear of seasickness and feeling trapped. So we did the 3 nite Fantasy, that was 18yrs ago, and we are going on our 19th cruise this year. He loves cruising, and now, even 7 nites are no enough for us!!

The most important advise I can give you, is what to do in Grand Caymen. The trip to stingray city. Go to the port boards here on cruisecritic, and choose Grand Caymen. Then read where people suggest who to use for this excursion. This is one that makes sense not to go with the ship excursion. Going with a tour company from the Caymens gets you stingray city and usually two other stops on reefs for snorkeling. I don't remember the name of the company we went with about 4 different times, but you walk to the left of the ship and go about 2 blocks and it is across the street. Last time we went, it was $35pp.

They give you the snorkel gear, and bait to feed the stingrays.

Also, read the reviews for the ruins excursions at Cozumel. I have heard that the ferry ride is a little rough and people get seasick.

Even if you do nothing, you will still have a great time. Enjoy and let us know when you get back, how it was for you.

Thank you all for your input and quick replies! Its definitely a huge investment in time and money, but I think the 7 day cruise is going to be more rewarding. My husband dreads the idea of not having any sort of window in the room, so we will most likely splurge on balcony. We did find a cruise with two different ports just two weeks later (still on the dream): Costa Maya and mahogany bay (& Cozumel). And preference between these two ports and the Cayman/Montego bay Jamaica itinerary?

First of all, congratulations on taking a vacation of more than a few days. I'm sure it is going to be delightful. I love winter cruising (November, December, January) in the Caribbean.

Grand Cayman is a fun place to snorkel. You may want to consider a snorkeling tour that also includes a stop to swim with the stingrays. I loved that experience.

I haven't been to Progresso yet, but I know you can take the tour to Tulum from Cozumel and it is a great experience as well.

As to cabins, there are no bad cabins and I have enjoyed cruises in interior cabins, oceanview cabins (where I appreciate the sofa that is not available in interior cabins), as well as balconies. There is something romantic about a balcony. Depending on your sleeping habits, you can slip onto your balcony to see the sun rise or to watch the sun set. You may also be able to watch the moon's reflection on the water. Plus the practical benefits of checking the weather before you head out for the day.

We had a cove balcony (down closer to the water than most balconies) on the Dream in January 2 years ago and we really enjoyed it. We're not big on toasting in the sun, and the cove balcony provided shade for most of the day. You might prefer a sunnier balcony but I love a shady one!

Whatever you decide, have a great time. You'll find that the boards here are full of ideas about making the most of your cruise, so welcome to cruise critic and welcome to cruising!

Thank you! Now that we have the vacation time built up it will be like our belated honeymoon 18 months later. All the partial reasons you pointed out definitely helped sway us on balcony!

Great advice! I hadn't really thought about the sea sick factor yet. It is also hard to picture just how big the ship will be and how difficult it could be to get place to place. However, we probably will only get to do this once for some time since we will be starting a family soon. So we are thinking of just going big and enjoying it for what's worth!

. We did find a cruise with two different ports just two weeks later (still on the dream): Costa Maya and mahogany bay (& Cozumel). And preference between these two ports and the Cayman/Montego bay Jamaica itinerary?

Both of those itineraries are fine. I'd probably lean more toward GC, MB, and Coz for a first cruise because of the diversity of those ports vs. the other itinerary. Costa Maya and Coz are both Mexican ports. The other trip will take you farther out into the Caribbean.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

I would go with the seven day cruise, sometimes people recommend a shorter one for your first trip, but even a 5 day doesn't get you a true cruise experience IMHO. I would recommend a balcony if you can swing it, but I have never been unhappy with any cabin, interior, oceanview, or balcony. Cruising is really what you make of it, there are a million ways to have fun, and a million ways to find fault with things. If you DO go to Jamaica I cannot recommend the Secrets Adults Only Resort excursion through Carnival enough. All you can eat/ drink, pools, beach, and tons more to do- all at a really beautiful beach resort. I hope y'all enjoy your first cruise. :o