Currency conversion which option is best?

Guern69

I am just doing my online checkin for the Cruise below and completing the Xpress Pass. I shouldn't have any onboard purchases but just in case I do charge anything to my account am I generally better to chose the X currency conversion program or let my Credit Card company do the conversion please?

Am I correct in thinking I can get Luggage tags once 49 days out from my cruise? Can X send these to me or do I need to download & print off my own?

Thanks

Edited by Guern69

Yes, let your credit card company do the conversion. Since I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak, I've read that Celebrity gives you the option to let them do the conversion, but it will not be as favorable as having your CC company do the conversion.

Can't help with your luggage tag question, but I am under the assumption that Celebrity will only mail them to the U.S. and Canada.

in the US some credit cards do not charge any international transaction fee and just convert the charge to their currency at a reasonably fair and equitable rate. The rate of conversion by X that I have seen is not as favorable-- however, if you are charged an additional international transaction fee in addition to the currency conversion rate; the Credit Card starts to lose its advantage.

I would suggest you ask your CC company what their policies and rates are as you may find them to be more favorable than using X's conversion rates

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks all, I'll check with my CC over the next few days. Not too worried about the tags as I have seen elsewhere here that the Porters can always sort them for you when you get to port. I did see some people say here that they had them mailed, it way well only be for those the other side of the pond.

Hi

We have our luggage tags for our upcoming cruise. When you are checking in online my OH says there is a bit at the bottom of the page that allows you to request luggage tags. My understanding is that ours came from X UK. Hope that helps.

A link to order luggage tags will appear on the online check in page after your edocs have been issued. There will also be a link to view/print your edocs.

There's no problem at all getting them in the UK and they are sent from within the UK (got mine today) :)

It's better to let your bank or CC company do the currency conversion.

Edited by DebbieMacG

But for a US citizen leaving from a US port, this does not apply, right? Even though some ports might be foreign? (going to Canada and New England) - for US citizens with a US credit card, everything is in US $s, correct?

(I was just wondering since some responses were from US posters)

Thanks JonsMum, will take a look in a few days once I am in the 49 days period.

49 days is just the earliest that the luggage tags MAY be available. You need to wait until you received your email saying that your eDocs [not Xpress pass] are available. This may be as late as 30 days [or less] pre-cruise. It will be later if, for example, you have booked flights through Celebrity. Not everyone on the same cruise will have their eDocs available at the same time.

Once you request them, they arrive within a few days in the UK.

Thanks, I've done the first part with my XPress Pass so will wait for email saying my e-docs are ready. Bit of a long job, especially for a first time crusier, thankfully I heard of this place. :)

No flight booked as sailing out of Southampton, just a three hour ferry crossing.

Edited by Guern69

But for a US citizen leaving from a US port, this does not apply, right? Even though some ports might be foreign? (going to Canada and New England) - for US citizens with a US credit card, everything is in US $s, correct?

(I was just wondering since some responses were from US posters)

I'm sure that New Englanders will be pleased to see that their ports are foreign for US citizens! :)