Odd upgrade experience

I had asked questions before and wondered if it was possible and wanted to share my experience.

We are doing an Enchantment of the Seas during the kids fall break. We booked July 31st after final payment. We are 2 adults and 3 kids, so normally book two rooms. With the "sales" over the past few months prices were staying high, so we decided to do 2 oceanview rooms because the balconies and suites were outrageous even though there were tons available.

I normally book with a big travel agency but could not due to one of the sales ending on July 31st and I was waiting on confirmation of some other friends joining us.

Finally prices of Grand Suite, Royal Family Suites and Jr Suites came down. If I could book one, I would get to Diamond after this cruise with the double points. After confirming with Royal, it would have cost me about an extra 600.00 and lose my WOW sale OBC to upgrade to a GS from my outside stateroom. I also asked at that point if I could combine the two oceanview reservations into the RFS and was told I would have to cancel a reservation and take the penalty. That would have cost an additional 1300.00. So needless to say, I would be staying in the 2 ocean view rooms.

Today, I was checking the website and noticed that this sailing became eligible for kids sail free. I thought what the heck and called Royal to see if I could combine and upgrade my 2 rooms to the RFS. This vacation planner told me since I would need two reservations to book the rfs, I wouldn't have to cancel my one reservation and take a penalty. I told him about the promotion and his exact words were "boy what a great catch on that price" He set it up for me and informed me that the balance of the upgrade would be................................

$135.00.

"Did I want to make that change? I would lose my two 50.00 obc for the ocean view rooms but get a 50.00 emerald discount." I still didn't believe it until he took my payment and sent me my confirmation.

So the moral of the story is try try again and that when you call you sometimes get different answers. One happy customer

Edited by irishgal432

Nice paid upgrade!

I have an interesting one. In over 2 dozen sailings with Royal I had never been upgraded once. Then all of a sudden I get upgraded on Allure this past spring break from a D6 to a JS....I am like WOW...awesome:D So I already had the same exact D6 cabin booked on Oasis for this past June...AND GUESS WHAT..YEP...upgraded again into a JS. Both of these prime time sailings. So what are the odds of being upgraded twice in a row from the same exact cabin...sounds like a lucky cabin to me...and makes me wonder if they look at upgrading certain cabins overs others.

What an awesome story!

I always tell people to call back because you often get a different answer. Especially when the website is showing plenty of availability and the person on the phone says there's nothing left in that category.

I did a B2B once and it was common knowledge on board that the next sailing was less than half full ... they were even closing the top half of the dining room. So I asked about a complimentary upgrade at Guest Services on the last night of the first leg and the girl behind the desk tried the "On, no, we're sailing full" story. So I asked to speak to someone else.

The reality is that the next day they were giving away balcony rooms like candy ... and Ruth saved a JS for me ... sweet!

Nice paid upgrade!

I have an interesting one. In over 2 dozen sailings with Royal I had never been upgraded once. Then all of a sudden I get upgraded on Allure this past spring break from a D6 to a JS....I am like WOW...awesome:D So I already had the same exact D6 cabin booked on Oasis for this past June...AND GUESS WHAT..YEP...upgraded again into a JS. Both of these prime time sailings. So what are the odds of being upgraded twice in a row from the same exact cabin...sounds like a lucky cabin to me...and makes me wonder if they look at upgrading certain cabins overs others.

You are very lucky!

Nice way to leverage the sales! I was upgraded for free on Enchantment from D to a JS. I had called to see what a paid upgrade would be (there were tons of JSs available) but balked at the price, then I checked the available cabins and found an aft cabin, so I figured that was worth a paid upgrade, but when I called back they had already upgraded me! I had them change me to the great aft JS...it was quite nice!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Edited by Familygoboston

Once again I can poo poo my family for making fun of me for always checking prices...

I am always checking rates. I even do so for air and hotels. I changed my hotel booking 3 times for this upcoming weekend. Ended up saving $75 when rates went down last minute. ;)

Nice paid upgrade!

You know that you have to share that cabin number with us. :D Was it a cabin that holds 4 passengers? That could be the reason.

I will enjoy them, especially the pre-dinner drinks in the CL. Does anyone know if there is a separate area on Coco Cay for suites like there is on Labadee?

No separate area on Coco Cay, but full suite guests do get first crack at the cabanas. You can contact the Concierge at [noparse]EN_Concierge@rccl.com[/noparse].

Edited by clarea

The bad news is now I tried to upgrade my friends room to a JS from an oceanview and they told me that it was for new bookings only, which is understandable, but I can't find any information/verbage/rules for this cruise. The KSF promotion is for cruises departing after Oct 15 and this one is mid-September, so I can't see where is it for new bookings only.

I will try to call again and maybe get a different answer.

Oh the fun!

You know that you have to share that cabin number with us. :D Was it a cabin that holds 4 passengers? That could be the reason.

NO...it is a double cabin that they upgraded us from...there are no triple or quad D6's....and I was even upgraded on the June sailing to a JS that held 5 people.