Wine policy, again...

Cobra427SC

I have not cruised Princess for some time, but, have 2 cruises booked now.

I disagree with only allowing singles to bring on 1 bottle - we pay for 2 people - yes, we get 2 credits, as we should, but why should our benefit be cut there. I am sure we do not cost the same as a couple in the same room.

RC allow 2 bottles per room! Get with it Princess, you are behind the times.

I have not cruised Princess for some time, but, have 2 cruises booked now.

I disagree with only allowing singles to bring on 1 bottle - we pay for 2 people - yes, we get 2 credits, as we should, but why should our benefit be cut there. I am sure we do not cost the same as a couple in the same room.

RC allow 2 bottles per room! Get with it Princess, you are behind the times.

I agree and am very surprised that its not 2. :(

We just sailed on the Caribbean Princess from 8/28-9/6. There were three adults in our cabin. We brought 4 bottles of wine onboard. When we passed through security, we were directed to the table to pay our overage/corkage fee on the one extra bottle. They asked us which one we wanted to consume in the dining room and then stamped it with the famous Princess seawitch.

We had brought our own corkscrew along so we uncorked our bottles in the room, and then carried it to the dining room. We were never charged an extra fee in the dining room and we consumed three of the bottles in the dining room and the last one in the Crown Grill. No one every looked to see if the seawitch was on the bottle.

My experience was this: On my recent cruise, I brought one bottle of wine in a carry on backpack (also two half liter cartons in the pockets). I was sent over to the wine table by security on entry to the terminal in FLL. I was asked "how many bottles do you have". I responded one, and opened my backpack to show (they did not ask how many cartons).

So, do you think the people running the table should no longer

believe passengers, and simply search the bags themselves?

If I were a princess exec reading these boards, that is the email

I would be sending to shore staff.

So, do you think the people running the table should no longer

believe passengers, and simply search the bags themselves?

If I were a princess exec reading these boards, that is the email

I would be sending to shore staff.

I told them the absolute truth. If they want to waste time looking through people's bags for half liter cartons, on their heads be it

As a single traveler paying double the posted rate and being credited for two cruises I am wondering if I am still limited to one bottle of wine or if I would be allowed two before the corkage fee kicks in. Any other singles out there who have experienced this situation.

I travel as a single frequently - I have only had a problem once in the last couple of years and that was embarking in Honolulu in April - I had 2 bottles of wine with me and security pointed out under the policy I could only bring on one per policy and pay corkage on the 2nd - I spoke to a supervisor at security and they said no problem go on through - exact reasoning we do pay for 2 people in a cabin. Quickly and pleasantly dealt with. At FLL I was stopped and once I explained and my boarding pass checked I was waved through with 2 no problem. So I will continue to bring on 2 and pay corkage on any over that and if an issue (as the folks are told to enforce the policy are just doing their job) will ask to speak to a supervisor.

• 2 weeks later...
Unbeknownst to me, she had packed a small travel iron. So they took it. Their "naughty room" is in the bowels of the ship in a "secure" area.

Funny enough, at the end of the cruise, there was a table set up near the luggage area, with all the "contraband"...there must have been 20 irons! Even full sized ones! LOL!

Oh man, we got such a kick out of that RCL 'naughty table'. We ended up there at the end of our Allure cruise to retrieve a confiscated swiss army knife. Could not believe the stuff on that table, all confiscated at the beginning of the cruise: at least three huge rice cookers, countless coffee makers and steam irons(full size), hot plates, a small toaster oven, a machete, a spear gun, even a small crossbow.

Some people really know how to party.

Oh man, we got such a kick out of that RCL 'naughty table'. We ended up there at the end of our Allure cruise to retrieve a confiscated swiss army knife. Could not believe the stuff on that table, all confiscated at the beginning of the cruise: at least three huge rice cookers, countless coffee makers and steam irons(full size), hot plates, a small toaster oven, a machete, a spear gun, even a small crossbow.

Some people really know how to party.

ROFL!! Too funny! I do recall seeing a toaster or two!! :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
I travel as a single frequently - I have only had a problem once in the last couple of years and that was embarking in Honolulu in April - I had 2 bottles of wine with me and security pointed out under the policy I could only bring on one per policy and pay corkage on the 2nd - I spoke to a supervisor at security and they said no problem go on through - exact reasoning we do pay for 2 people in a cabin. Quickly and pleasantly dealt with. At FLL I was stopped and once I explained and my boarding pass checked I was waved through with 2 no problem. So I will continue to bring on 2 and pay corkage on any over that and if an issue (as the folks are told to enforce the policy are just doing their job) will ask to speak to a supervisor.

I mistakenly left my 2 bottles in my luggage. Same day flight and I was exhausted. I had planned to bring another and pay on top off the 2 but I knew I wanted to buy a bottle onboard(ended up buying another white and red). Well, I received a note saying to call re: the bottles bc they had them in the naughty room. In theory, I could've been lying when I said I didn't have a bottle already in my room. They asked if I agreed to paying corkage fees to get them back and I said sure. I was only charged for 1 bottle total but I wonder if it was bc I was the only adult in my room or bc I left them in my suitcase.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

Oh how I long for the days of past when the cruise lines treated you as a guest instead of a cash cow.

Mixed feelings about that. In the past, the "rule" was one bottle per person. Period. It just wasn't enforced very often, so people brought on as much as they wanted. Now, that limit has been abolished with a mandatory corkage fee added. Not sure which I prefer. An unenforced rule that made me feel guilty for sneaking on extra wine, or a lenient allowance that allows me to bring on all that I need guilt free, while contributing to the corporate bottom line at the same time? I think I prefer the latter. Close call.

Mixed feelings about that. In the past, the "rule" was one bottle per person. Period. It just wasn't enforced very often, so people brought on as much as they wanted. Now, that limit has been abolished with a mandatory corkage fee added. Not sure which I prefer. An unenforced rule that made me feel guilty for sneaking on extra wine, or a lenient allowance that allows me to bring on all that I need guilt free, while contributing to the corporate bottom line at the same time? I think I prefer the latter. Close call.

There was no rule. Since you were a guest, you could bring whatever you wanted. You could bring your own liquor, or better yet, you could buy it in the duty free shop onboard and then take it to your cabin. Now the prime reason for searching through a "guest's" luggage is not security, but rather to find wine or liquor.

There was no rule. Since you were a guest, you could bring whatever you wanted. You could bring your own liquor, or better yet, you could buy it in the duty free shop onboard and then take it to your cabin. Now the prime reason for searching through a "guest's" luggage is not security, but rather to find wine or liquor.

Prior to the current rule, the Cruise Contract clearly stated that there was a limit of 1 bottle per person. But I never saw it enforced, though folks in Australia often did.

Prior to the current rule, the Cruise Contract clearly stated that there was a limit of 1 bottle per person. But I never saw it enforced, though folks in Australia often did.

This was not the case 25 years ago.

This was not the case 25 years ago.

25 years ago, cruises were priced as more of a "luxury" vacation. I'll bet if you compared the price of a cruise from 25 years ago, (adjusted for inflation), and the price of a cruise now with five corkage fees added to it, you'd rather pay the latter. My first time on a ship was in 1976 on a Transatlantic on the QE2. I have no idea what the policy was then because I was too young to drink. But I know that my parents paid more for that roundtrip crossing than you would pay today, even in non-adjusted dollars.