Is it a problem that my travel agent completed my online check in?

kac0426

I've been unhappy with the travel agent I used to book my New England Cruise. She's been very disorganized and unresponsive, and I think that's why I'm now paranoid that things aren't going to go right. I logged in recently and noticed that she had completed the online check in for myself and my mother, but there were some mistakes. For example, she listed that we would be using birth certificates as our ID but we'll actually be using passports. I was able to edit that section and update it to passport information, but will it matter that what she originally entered has been changed? Also, she listed herself as our emergency contact, but since she's been so unresponsive, I updated this to be my boyfriend who I know will answer his phone no matter what. Was this a bad move? Should I have left the travel agent listed as my emergency contact? I may be over-analyzing this but I've read so many horror stories about people being denied boarding, so I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row!

You will have no problem with changing IDs again if you want. You were absolutely right to go on & correct everything to what you wanted. Just let your flaky TA know that you changed everything so she doesn't go back in & change it back.

I've been unhappy with the travel agent I used to book my New England Cruise. She's been very disorganized and unresponsive, and I think that's why I'm now paranoid that things aren't going to go right. I logged in recently and noticed that she had completed the online check in for myself and my mother, but there were some mistakes. For example, she listed that we would be using birth certificates as our ID but we'll actually be using passports. I was able to edit that section and update it to passport information, but will it matter that what she originally entered has been changed? Also, she listed herself as our emergency contact, but since she's been so unresponsive, I updated this to be my boyfriend who I know will answer his phone no matter what. Was this a bad move? Should I have left the travel agent listed as my emergency contact? I may be over-analyzing this but I've read so many horror stories about people being denied boarding, so I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row!

Your ducks look fine . ;)

Thank you to all of you! You've made me feel much better. I've cruised before but never have I had a travel agent who did the online check-in for me, so that's what made me nervous. I won't be using this travel agent again - lesson learned - and I agree with what you all said about letting her know about the problems. Thanks!

I find this really weird and unacceptable IMO. Why exactly does your TA have your log on information and password? That's kinda weird. They have absolutely no reason to have access to this. :eek: It doesn't have anything to do with them being able to book you or even add things for you. :confused:

I would immediately go and change your password to your account on there. You should be the only one to be checking yourself in and providing the correct information for your trip.

The listing of the TA as an emergency contact :eek: yikes!!! No way...unless this is a VERY close friend or relative, why would they be the person to call if there was an emergency?

It just sounds really flaky to me. :cool:

I often at the travelers request will do on line check- in for my clients. Again this is at their request. But I go through the information with them and put in the answers they supply to me. I would never assume.

I never need their log in information to do this.

I agree it is very odd for the TA to put in what seems to be random info. I would NEVER put myself as emergency contact.

Definitely have a conversion with them.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

I thought the TA owned the reservation and thus would not need the OPs log in info.

I believe they do but what ta would have the gall to make themselves the emergency contact?

To assume you are using a bc and not a pp?

This ta crossed the line by not asking the client

1. If they needed this "extra service" from them

2. If the indeed did "need" this service by not getting correct info from the client

Just imagine if the pax actually did need the emergency contact reached by the cruiseline?

Idiot ta gets the call that you are on a hospital in the Bahamas or wherever because you had a heart attack!

So who does the ta then contact?

Your loved one back home never find out what happened to you unless you are well enough to contact them yourself or via hospital personel !

Bravo to the op for changing the info themselves

But this ta needs to be spoken to and then the op should transfer the booking to Ncl IMHO. But I am sure the ta will still request commish from Ncl and get it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with Mitsugirly (loved your review by the way). No way would I give my log in info to anyone. Never mind a TA I am not happy with. I have not done mine yet for my next cruise coming up, but don't you have credit card info in there too? Yikes

My TA tells me she needs to help some of her clients with their online check in because they are more comfortable when she does it for them.

We use our long time TA as our Emergency Contact. She knows how to contact both of our children and our close friends since we all use her. She would be a great help to them in a real emergency because she would know what they needed to do and who to contact better than they would.

LuLu

My TA tells me she needs to help some of her clients with their online check in because they are more comfortable when she does it for them.

We use our long time TA as our Emergency Contact. She knows how to contact both of our children and our close friends since we all use her. She would be a great help to them in a real emergency because she would know what they needed to do and who to contact better than they would.

LuLu

The ops ta however is unresponsive and disorganized your ta sounds competent and professional

Fwiw and IMHO it sounds like some ta's like the ops ta just want to do something to prove that they are a valuable resource for the pax

The only reason I use my ta is so I get a better Obc and have someone that can and does negotiate a better price for me at final payment

I can and want to do my own research.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with Mitsugirly (loved your review by the way). No way would I give my log in info to anyone. Never mind a TA I am not happy with. I have not done mine yet for my next cruise coming up, but don't you have credit card info in there too? Yikes

The TA probably already has the credit card info. Mine has copies of my DL, passport, and the info from 2 of my credit cards. This is not a problem since she is a friend and I trust her, but the point is she would not need to look at my NCL account to get that info as it is all in her files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The TA probably already has the credit card info. Mine has copies of my DL, passport, and the info from 2 of my credit cards. This is not a problem since she is a friend and I trust her, but the point is she would not need to look at my NCL account to get that info as it is all in her files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just wondering why your TA has copies of your DL and passport? Is this in case you was to ever get left behind and needed copies or something she could send them to you? (Which actually that logic doesn't work for me either since you could just email to yourself and have record of them or even take a picture). :confused: I'm just confused as to why they would have this info as well. Maybe I'm missing something that I need to know?

I think she must have access to my NCL account in some other way - I definitely never gave her my username or password. I don't really know how it all works with TA's so I'm not sure how she has access to my account?

I also thought it was weird that the TA listed herself as my emergency contact. I've cruised before but it's been awhile and I don't remember my TA at the time doing anything like that. I started second guessing myself thinking maybe it's common for TA's to list themselves as the emergency contact but all the responses on here are reaffirming my suspicions that something wasn't quite right. I'm pretty sure the phone number she listed was the office number. Like someone said, what if I was in an accident at night or on a weekend? They'd have no way to get in touch with her! (And she's not a family friend or anything; I barely know her. We only have a TA-client relationship.) I'm glad I went in and made the necessary changes, including my passport info and and changing my emergency contact to my boyfriend.

I know my TA caters to a lot of elderly passengers who may want her to do the online check in because they aren't computer-savvy, but that isn't me. I'm 31 and fully capable of doing an online check in. :) She never asked me if I wanted her to check in for me. Had she asked, I would have said no.

Thanks again to all of your for your responses. You confirmed that I'm not overreacting. The booking of the cruise has been a little chaotic due to her lack of response (seriously, it should not take 5 phone calls and emails to get something booked) so I hope it's all smooth sailing once we actually board. I won't be using her again. I live in a small town and she's really the only TA here so that's why I went with her but I'll do my research next time and find someone else.