Around the Horn!

gzyteck

My husband and I are planning on an Around the Horn cruise in Feb 2016. What is the best way to handle airfare? We would be flying out of Houston, Texas. Looking at RCL Rhapsody of the Seas...kinda of sentimental in that it was the first ship we cruised on together. I know it is an older, smaller ship in their fleet!

Any help would be appreciated! Any estimate on cost of flights? I realize it is over a year away, but trying to see if it will work for us!

We are taking the SA around the horn cruise with Celebrity in Jan 2015 with a group of friends. The majority of us are using frequent flyer miles and some have purchased their flights through Choice Air. I think RCL has Choice Air as well. My understanding is they list a variety of airlines along with costs and you choose between them. You may want to check to see what flights & costs are being offered for Feb 2015 to get an idea, of course knowing those prices will probably change for 2016. You can also check flights on the major airlines partners. For example, American Airlines uses LAN along with many others and sometimes they are less expensive. We are flying back from Santiago on Lan using miles but through AA.

Hi, gzyteck, former Houstonians here who are also fond of Rhapsody! We sailed her in SA (although not around the Horn) right after her revitalization. She's even more beautiful than ever, and I was reminded how much I enjoy an intimate ship on a destination cruise because you get to know pax and crew better, and the place feels like home very quickly.

Here's what I posted about her redo (which was "new news" back then!).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1598833

Enjoy your research and planning! That cruise is on my bucket list!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Artemis

Oh, and about flights, out of IAH, you'll probably find the best itin and pricing with United. I'd pick your preferred dates now and put a price alert on it so you can get a feel for and monitor fares. That'll make it clearer when you compare retail to Choice Air. It'll be an overnight flight down and back.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You may be able to fly direct from Houston and that will drive your decisions. We flew through Miami. Our American Airline flights were ok and weather was our biggest complication. Our LAN Peru flights were a total nightmare! The LAN flights were constantly cancelled on short notice e.g. while standing in the check-in line, while boarding a bus to the plane. We flew LAN three times (Lima to Cusco to Lima to Valparaiso) and not one segment went well. We will NEVER fly LAN again! The 4th LAN flight left without us (Miami to Lima).

We did splurge on business class for the long segments (Miami to Lima and BA to Miami) for comfort! You may catch a good price on that too!