Food on Divina

AlbertusMagnus

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew,,I'll try doing that!!!! I have just over a year to try and at least make an attempt at learning some Italian,,,just enough to get by or get myself into trouble, one or the other!!:eek: Hopefully, since this is a Repo from Genoa to Miami, there will be some English speaking pax onboard!!!

You'll be fine. Every announcement was also made in English (for all 27 of us,) now thats inclusive!

You'll be fine. Every announcement was also made in English (for all 27 of us,) now thats inclusive!

I'm not so worried about the language barrier on the ship as I am when we spend 3 days prior to our sailing in Genoa. This will be our first time traveling out of the country, besides the Caribbean, so we'd like to at least be able to understand and or communicate in Italian if possible. I hope Rosetta Stone is everything it's cracked up to be!!!:eek::eek:

I'm not so worried about the language barrier on the ship as I am when we spend 3 days prior to our sailing in Genoa. This will be our first time traveling out of the country, besides the Caribbean, so we'd like to at least be able to understand and or communicate in Italian if possible. I hope Rosetta Stone is everything it's cracked up to be!!!:eek::eek:

Hi Mike!! My sister and I spent 3 weeks in Italy 2 years ago. Neither one of us speaks Italian. We had NO problems anywhere we went. There were a couple of shopkeepers that didn't speak English, but through hand signs and lots of smiles and laughter, we were able to communicate. Genoa is a lovely city--we spent 3 days there and I will be returning there in November. I had lots of fears as I had gone abroad before with lots of frustrations, but Italy is FABULOUS!!! I am so happy to be returning there for a visit

Cheers!! Hope to see you on the T/A next October--I have even made reservations for a hotel in Barcelona (that's if MSC will allow me to board in Barcelona instead of Geona!!):o:D

Hi Mike!! My sister and I spent 3 weeks in Italy 2 years ago. Neither one of us speaks Italian. We had NO problems anywhere we went. There were a couple of shopkeepers that didn't speak English, but through hand signs and lots of smiles and laughter, we were able to communicate. Genoa is a lovely city--we spent 3 days there and I will be returning there in November. I had lots of fears as I had gone abroad before with lots of frustrations, but Italy is FABULOUS!!! I am so happy to be returning there for a visit

Cheers!! Hope to see you on the T/A next October--I have even made reservations for a hotel in Barcelona (that's if MSC will allow me to board in Barcelona instead of Geona!!):o:D

I hope they do to tsahall!!! I've contacted MSC's 3rd party air provider about flights from Miami to Manchester and then to Genoa. We're now researching hotels in Genoa but I think it's still a little early to get pricing. Lots of research and planning to do still,,love this part of the trip the most I think!!! You'll keep in touch on the roll call thread right???? Let me know how you make out with MSC and embarking in Barcelona!!:D

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew,,I'll try doing that!!!! I have just over a year to try and at least make an attempt at learning some Italian,,,just enough to get by or get myself into trouble, one or the other!!:eek: Hopefully, since this is a Repo from Genoa to Miami, there will be some English speaking pax onboard!!!

There is bound to be other English speaking passengers onboard but perhaps not many. Not helped by it not being available in UK or Eire to book.

Passenger facing crew will speak English, som better than others. However if you learn a bit of Italian, they will really appreciate it onshore and so will the Italian crew.

I recommend Michel Thomas Italian course. No memorising or difficult grammar. You learnt by just listening to him as you relax or travel to work. He quickly builds up from a few basic words and structures or the basics of the language. His approach is it's up to him to teach you ratherbthan your job to work to remember. He Lao has the approach that anyone can look up a noun or verb they need in a dictionary but can't look at a complete sentence and know how to string it together. It's amazing how many things you can say with a base of around 500 words!

I hope they do to tsahall!!! I've contacted MSC's 3rd party air provider about flights from Miami to Manchester and then to Genoa. We're now researching hotels in Genoa but I think it's still a little early to get pricing. Lots of research and planning to do still,,love this part of the trip the most I think!!! You'll keep in touch on the roll call thread right???? Let me know how you make out with MSC and embarking in Barcelona!!:D

Interested in howyou make out Mike, we always found the flights to/from Italy less expensive then Spain!:)

Hi Mike

We note your quoted price for your flight to Manchester and then onward to Genoa. This is the problem we have in the UK when booking one ways flights. We are travelling back from Florida in December having done a transatlantic from Southampton on Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity are quoting us $900 from Tampa to London, Gatwick. We won't be able to enquire about our flights for Divina next year until 330 days before we travel, assuming our booking will be confirmed.

We are heading for Venice this weekend to board Preziosa in Yacht Club.

Peter & Lynne

Mike mail me ref flights..... Andrewjb2 dash cruise at yahoo dot co dot uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is bound to be other English speaking passengers onboard but perhaps not many. Not helped by it not being available in UK or Eire to book.

Passenger facing crew will speak English, som better than others. However if you learn a bit of Italian, they will really appreciate it onshore and so will the Italian crew.

I recommend Michel Thomas Italian course. No memorising or difficult grammar. You learnt by just listening to him as you relax or travel to work. He quickly builds up from a few basic words and structures or the basics of the language. His approach is it's up to him to teach you ratherbthan your job to work to remember. He Lao has the approach that anyone can look up a noun or verb they need in a dictionary but can't look at a complete sentence and know how to string it together. It's amazing how many things you can say with a base of around 500 words!

Thanks Amo!!! I agree!! I would feel more confident in our travel to Italy if I at least could understand and speak some Italian. I feel it is only right to at least understand or speak the language if we will be traveling there. We can't just assume everyone will speak English right??

Just found the website and I'm going to try out some of the sample lessons he has on his website. His lessons are very reasonably priced as well so I think this will be worth a try. Thanks again Amo for the suggestion!!:D

Here is the flight info we received from MSC's 3rd party airfare booking agency.

$899.00 per person:

DELTA AIR LINES DL 064 17 OCT MIAMI (MIA) - MANCHESTER (MAN) 3:15PM 8:25AM (18 OCT) Economy Class

AIR FRANCE AF 1069 21 OCT MANCHESTER (MAN) - PARIS (CDG) 2:20PM 4:50PM (21 OCT) Economy Class

ALITALIA C.A.I. S.P.A. AZ 7825 21 OCT PARIS (CDG) - GENOA (GOA) 8:50PM 10:20PM (21 OCT) Economy Class

The reason for the stop in Manchester is to spend a few days with the family we met onboard our August sailing. We had such a fantastic time together and have become good friends and they have graciously invited us to stay at their home. We have plans to spend 2 nights in London with them before returning back to Manchester and then onward to Genoa.

p.s Im also looking at the YC for the same cruise as you from Genoa next year. 2 YC weeks coming up, ill decide after them!

That would be great Andrew!!! There were only a couple of YC1 staterooms that were available on deck 16,,16001 which we are not a fan of is one of them.

Interested in howyou make out Mike, we always found the flights to/from Italy less expensive then Spain!:)

I had MSC's agency look into economy class air for us. I thought for sure we would be into the thousands of dollars after doing some flight research myself. Once I received an offer of $899.00 pp,,,I might just have them look at business class to see what the price comparison might be.

Hi Mike

We note your quoted price for your flight to Manchester and then onward to Genoa. This is the problem we have in the UK when booking one ways flights. We are travelling back from Florida in December having done a transatlantic from Southampton on Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity are quoting us $900 from Tampa to London, Gatwick. We won't be able to enquire about our flights for Divina next year until 330 days before we travel, assuming our booking will be confirmed.

We are heading for Venice this weekend to board Preziosa in Yacht Club.

Peter & Lynne

Have a great trip Peter And Lynne!!!! Make sure you take loads of pictures to share with all of us!!!! We are now looking to do a med cruise in the summer of 2016 hopefully aboard one of the Fantasia class ships, but the itinerary will dictate which ship we will sail on. We love the Fantasia class ships because of the Yacht Club,,but we don't mind experiencing one of the other ships either.

I was surprised I was even able to get an airfare quote this early for October 2015. Whenever I did a search,,pricing wasn't available for my dates yet.

Have a great trip Peter And Lynne!!!! Make sure you take loads of pictures to share with all of us!!!! We are now looking to do a med cruise in the summer of 2016 hopefully aboard one of the Fantasia class ships, but the itinerary will dictate which ship we will sail on. We love the Fantasia class ships because of the Yacht Club,,but we don't mind experiencing one of the other ships either.

I was surprised I was even able to get an airfare quote this early for October 2015. Whenever I did a search,,pricing wasn't available for my dates yet.

That's strange Mike that they can quote you for Oct 2015 when airlines only go 330 days in advance. These long flights don't bother you? we have had it after a 5 hr flight. Good luck in finding the best price.

That's strange Mike that they can quote you for Oct 2015 when airlines only go 330 days in advance. These long flights don't bother you? we have had it after a 5 hr flight. Good luck in finding the best price.

I can only hope she wasn't quoting me October 2014 Riclop.:eek: Oh,,and yes,,we both don't like to fly,,,but if it's the only way to see a little bit of England and Italy,,,we'll suffer through it I suppose.:) Hopefully it'll be a late flight and we can sleep through most of it.:)

I can only hope she wasn't quoting me October 2014 Riclop.:eek: Oh,,and yes,,we both don't like to fly,,,but if it's the only way to see a little bit of England and Italy,,,we'll suffer through it I suppose.:) Hopefully it'll be a late flight and we can sleep through most of it.:)

It's a pity you need to transit in the UK. Not that there is anything wrong with Manchester just that our departure taxes are higher than some other European countries and you can often save literally hundreds of pounds by having connecting flights in Spain or Paris etc compared to London.

As for long haul flights, a complete pain regardless of class but the only way to see the World. My trip home from Perth in November will take 35 hours on 3 flights with an 8 hour time change. I'm going to be a very grumpy and unhappy bunny on that final flight up from London!

It's a pity you need to transit in the UK. Not that there is anything wrong with Manchester just that our departure taxes are higher than some other European countries and you can often save literally hundreds of pounds by having connecting flights in Spain or Paris etc compared to London.

As for long haul flights, a complete pain regardless of class but the only way to see the World. My trip home from Perth in November will take 35 hours on 3 flights with an 8 hour time change. I'm going to be a very grumpy and unhappy bunny on that final flight up from London!

I know Amo,,,but we really wanted to spend a few days with the family we met on our last sailing,,and seeing a little bit of London will be a fantastic beginning to our month long vacation.