Food on Divina

AlbertusMagnus

We are long time cruisers, and are booked on a TA on the Divina. I keep reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, from recent cruisers. There still are a lot of people who are saying good things about the Divina. However one constant negative is the food in the buffet, and main dining rooms. This is something that MSC should be looking into. Certainly, Americans expect a lot when they cruise, but we should at least get the basics. I would like know if MSC is addressing these many negatives. Incidently, we're still going, and being first generation Italian/American, I'm sure I'll do just fine, but it troubles me to know that so many Americans and Brits feel this way. Am I missing something??? Read the reviews!!!

I read a batch of reviews before we boarded last week. As on most lines, the food is hit and miss, ranging from very good to genuinely crappy in both the dining room and buffets. The pizza, however; was always good! Most disappointing were the pasta dishes--with bland sauces and extremely al dente pasta, or maybe mushy pasta, jeez! There were one or two pasta dishes that had some flavor, but they were a distinct minority. That said--I found plenty to eat. I especially liked the Hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict in the restaurant. And, I loved those bran muffins!! I went to the store the day after we returned and bought some Italian bread and bran muffins--the bread was as good as on Divina, the muffins fell short!

We are long time cruisers, and are booked on a TA on the Divina. I keep reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, from recent cruisers. There still are a lot of people who are saying good things about the Divina. However one constant negative is the food in the buffet, and main dining rooms. This is something that MSC should be looking into. Certainly, Americans expect a lot when they cruise, but we should at least get the basics. I would like know if MSC is addressing these many negatives. Incidently, we're still going, and being first generation Italian/American, I'm sure I'll do just fine, but it troubles me to know that so many Americans and Brits feel this way. Am I missing something??? Read the reviews!!!

Hmmmm, dare I say, Americans who expect food on a European line catering for Europeans to match their idea of what the basics are, should perhaps cruise with a line that caters for Americans? I'd bet your idea of the basics and mine would be vastly different. Neither of us are right and neither of us are wrong, we are from different countries with different customs and tastes.

I'm from the UK, traditions here are different from those in Spain and Italy. Heck you get very many regional variations of Italian food. I get almost nothing that I'm used to at home on MSC and for me that is a positive and the fun of going overseas. However if you want spicy, you will need to bring something with you to add to the food. Italians don't really go for spicy. I personally love the pastas and risottos (far too much actually as I pile on the pounds each cruise!). Don't like the buffets but I don't like buffets at all, any where. I like slow food and leisurely service. If I have to go then I like the sale bar and ethnic corners.

Divina in the Use is an exception. A significant percentage of passengers are North American so they should be (and from what I've read they are) making adjustments for the Use tastes. A TA on the Divina will be a different kettle of fish perhaps, regardless of whether it is sailing to or from Europe.

Edited by AmoMondo

Certainly we all have different tastes, but I have read many reviews by non-Americans who have the same basic negatives. These are the negatives that should be addressed. We don't expect any more than anyone else. We grew up immigrant homes, and there wasn't much more than the basics.

Certainly we all have different tastes, but I have read many reviews by non-Americans who have the same basic negatives. These are the negatives that should be addressed. We don't expect any more than anyone else. We grew up immigrant homes, and there wasn't much more than the basics.

Food is subjective!

Go on the ship and tell us what you think, we thought food on the Divina was good in the MDR, and very good in the Buffet!

By the way, the overall %'s of the Divina in the Reviews section show they are going up! So the negatives might not be as much as you think! :)

Instead of reading others opinions, look at the pictures that have been posted on quite a few reviews, they show to us a lot more then 'basics'!

Hmmmm, dare I say, Americans who expect food on a European line catering for Europeans to match their idea of what the basics are, should perhaps cruise with a line that caters for Americans? I'd bet your idea of the basics and mine would be vastly different. Neither of us are right and neither of us are wrong, we are from different countries with different customs and tastes.

I'm from the UK, traditions here are different from those in Spain and Italy. Heck you get very many regional variations of Italian food. I get almost nothing that I'm used to at home on MSC and for me that is a positive and the fun of going overseas. However if you want spicy, you will need to bring something with you to add to the food. Italians don't really go for spicy. I personally love the pastas and risottos (far too much actually as I pile on the pounds each cruise!). Don't like the buffets but I don't like buffets at all, any where. I like slow food and leisurely service. If I have to go then I like the sale bar and ethnic corners.

Divina in the Use is an exception. A significant percentage of passengers are North American so they should be (and from what I've read they are) making adjustments for the Use tastes. A TA on the Divina will be a different kettle of fish perhaps, regardless of whether it is sailing to or from Europe.

Mondo,,on our sailing this past week aboard Divina, the mix was 60% International and 40% American. There was a large contingency of Asian pax onboard as well. I was told,,by an unnamed source, that Divina Is here in the states to provide the European pax with another Caribbean option. She is not here to compete with the American Cruise Lines. I have also learned that when Divina goes into dry dock, carpets, as well as some other wearable items will be replaced, and that there will be little changes made to the dining venues.

We just got off the Divina today. I will post a review whwn we get home tomorrow, but regarding the food, IMVHO, it was poor, and that is putting it mildly.

Let me clarify something. We try and keep a Kosher style when we travel. We do not eat any meat and only certain seafood (no shellfish). So at every meal we had whatever fish that was on the menu, and when we couldn' t eat the particular seafood, we ordered salmon which is an everyday feature. On the first salmon meal, we received an end piece, which we had never seen on a cruise ship. It was overcooked, so we sent it back for another piece. The next piece was a bit better but so poor we couldn't finish it.

The next evening at dinner, we again ordered salmon. I told the waiter to tell the chef to under cook it so it wouldn't be so dry. When the salmon arrived, I took two bites and just couldn't even swallow that. To make this story short, it was inedible. It was so dry that it was really inedible.nWe did bring this to the attention of the maitre 'd and he assured us, next time we ordered that, he would make sure it was a very good meal. We did order the salmon on lobster nite and it was better, but still not what a fresh piece of salmon should be like. The only fish meal that I can truly say was good was the Mahi Mahi.

Now we are not critical people and do not look for perfection. I cook all meals at home and we eat salmon at least once a week. The only way salmon comes out like this is if it has been pre cooked and then reheated, which I would bet my bottom dollar on. Believe me, we wanted to enjoy these meals, but they were so poor, it was embarrassing.

Now this is not subjective. The fish meals were just poor. The last nite they served Hake. A very nice fish, except for the way MSC served it. We ate it but it was poor, and that was the consenus of all around us who also ordered it.

Again, I cannot speak about any of the meat dinners. The people we ate with had some good things to say and some poor things to say. But when you go to dinner on any cruise ship and find the food preparation to be of such poor quality, that doesn't speak well of the cruise line.

I am also sure some who think MSC can do no wrong just didn't sit in our dinning room and order fish. Believe me or not, all the fish was either overcooked or reheated.

It was just POOR.

Cheers

Len

We just got off the Divina today. I will post a review whwn we get home tomorrow, but regarding the food, IMVHO, it was poor, and that is putting it mildly.

Let me clarify something. We try and keep a Kosher style when we travel. We do not eat any meat and only certain seafood (no shellfish). So at every meal we had whatever fish that was on the menu, and when we couldn' t eat the particular seafood, we ordered salmon which is an everyday feature. On the first salmon meal, we received an end piece, which we had never seen on a cruise ship. It was overcooked, so we sent it back for another piece. The next piece was a bit better but so poor we couldn't finish it.

The next evening at dinner, we again ordered salmon. I told the waiter to tell the chef to under cook it so it wouldn't be so dry. When the salmon arrived, I took two bites and just couldn't even swallow that. To make this story short, it was inedible. It was so dry that it was really inedible.nWe did bring this to the attention of the maitre 'd and he assured us, next time we ordered that, he would make sure it was a very good meal. We did order the salmon on lobster nite and it was better, but still not what a fresh piece of salmon should be like. The only fish meal that I can truly say was good was the Mahi Mahi.

Now we are not critical people and do not look for perfection. I cook all meals at home and we eat salmon at least once a week. The only way salmon comes out like this is if it has been pre cooked and then reheated, which I would bet my bottom dollar on. Believe me, we wanted to enjoy these meals, but they were so poor, it was embarrassing.

Now this is not subjective. The fish meals were just poor. The last nite they served Hake. A very nice fish, except for the way MSC served it. We ate it but it was poor, and that was the consenus of all around us who also ordered it.

Again, I cannot speak about any of the meat dinners. The people we ate with had some good things to say and some poor things to say. But when you go to dinner on any cruise ship and find the food preparation to be of such poor quality, that doesn't speak well of the cruise line.

I am also sure some who think MSC can do no wrong just didn't sit in our dinning room and order fish. Believe me or not, all the fish was either overcooked or reheated.

It was just POOR.

Cheers

Len

Unfortunately you can not speak for anything else besides fish. I hate fish and never touch it, so I though the other dishes were fine, you can not expect gourmet food in any dining room on cruise ships unless your paying for a specialty. Dining room is just cater food. simple beef, simple chicken and simple fish. with over 4000 people to feed its not perfect. Its not garbage, to me its just not the worst or not the best. But they did have the best shrimp cocktail and one of the stuffed Ravioli dishes was incredible.

Unfortunately while cruising special diets are going to take a beaten as there will be limited offerings.

OP

The buffet is very good in IMHO. just look at Gambys pictures, you will find something good. And I heard the omelette and eggs benny are great in the dining room.

Unfortunately you can take 10 people on the ship and get possibly 10 different answers. As long as the food is edible and I don't have to cook for the week I am a happy person, after cruising so many times I don't even think about the food, its all the same to me, some good some bad, but never starved.

Edited by Bosjoe

you can not expect gourmet food in any dining room on cruise ships unless your paying for a specialty. Dining room is just cater food. simple beef, simple chicken and simple fish.

Perhaps you should try a cruise line like Oceania for consistently well prepared (and often fairly complex) meals in every venue from the buffet to the "specialty" restaurants (which don't cost extra).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately you can not speak for anything else besides fish. I hate fish and never touch it, so I though the other dishes were fine, you can not expect gourmet food in any dining room on cruise ships unless your paying for a specialty. Dining room is just cater food. simple beef, simple chicken and simple fish. with over 4000 people to feed its not perfect. Its not garbage, to me its just not the worst or not the best. But they did have the best shrimp cocktail and one of the stuffed Ravioli dishes was incredible.

Unfortunately while cruising special diets are going to take a beaten as there will be limited offerings.

OP

The buffet is very good in IMHO. just look at Gambys pictures, you will find something good. And I heard the omelette and eggs benny are great in the dining room.

Unfortunately you can take 10 people on the ship and get possibly 10 different answers. As long as the food is edible and I don't have to cook for the week I am a happy person, after cruising so many times I don't even think about the food, its all the same to me, some good some bad, but never starved.

I think your comments hit the head on the nail well

How can anyone compare MSC to Oceania? Does the cruise fare cost the same? I don't think so. The original comment was clearly based on a cruise for 4.000 people, not a small expensive luxury ship.

It's like going to McDonalds and complain because you get no steakhouse quality and service. :confused: Plus there are speciality restaurants in MSC also if money is not a problem...

We liked the food. It was not perfect, but it was no worse than Royal Caribbean. About the same on average.

In our opinion, MSC food was of more normal quality but also more consistent. You could eat a 8 out of 10 experience almost every night. In Royal Caribbean sometimes you had a 10/10 experience sometimes you had a 6/10. You could get very excited about food quality in RCI some nights, but the next night the most recommended dish was chicken. That's right: roasted chicken. Another night they served a bad roast beef... that never happened in MSC. Also, in MSC you eat many dishes so the risk of not liking something is lower. But that's our opinion only.

We had a very good fish dish on gala night 2. Also the calamari were quite good. But we eat everything, so do not pay attention to that specific diet details.

The buffet was good enough to us also. The desserts in the buffet were sometimes better than in the MDR, which was a bit weird in our opinion.

About service: we were served in 75 minutes or so every night, in the eastern Mediterranean. Sometimes the buffet was very crowded.

To show we do not have any agenda against MSC, we did enjoy our omlettes in the MDR at breakfast. They were well prepared. And we did enjoy the ravioli dish one evening. We had

to, the fish was so poor.

We are not new to cruising. We have been on 14 other cruises, and have never had fish dinners prepared as poorly as this. And this is not from Oceana, but Carnival, NCL and Princess. To use, that they had to prepare meals for so many people, as an excuse, is a cop out for MSC. Our last Carnival cruise, the fish dinners were fantastic. But we were getting a bit bored with the same sort of menus on every cruise, so we thought MSC and a European style would bring some life to dinner. It didn't.

I understand we are limited on what we can and cannot eat, but I am talking about just a piece of fish. If you cannot prepare a piece of salmon correctly, it really doesn't reflect well for the rest of the food.

Again, I would bet anything that the fish was precooked, say, to the point of being almost done, and when it is ordered, it is again reheated, to the point where it was dry. If I ever received salmon like that in a restaurant I would send it back or not pay for it. Am I wrong to expect an edible piece of salmon for dinner? This is not gourmet cooking, just salmon and mashed potatoes.

Most of the desserts in the MDR were very good. We loved the fact that we could get gelato for dessert every night, and most of the other selections were very good to excellent.

Cheers

Len

Perhaps you should try a cruise line like Oceania for consistently well prepared (and often fairly complex) meals in every venue from the buffet to the "specialty" restaurants (which don't cost extra).

I've heard lots of good things about Oceania, but I don't think they cater for 4000+ passengers? Smaller ships, less pax, higher prices certainly has the right conditions for better food. Just as some small Boutique hotels excel over larger resort style hotels and Michelin star restaurants over big family restaurants.

I love fine dining as a treat, my wallet won't run to it all the time. I don't expect fine dining on MSC. Their speciality restaurant on the Musica class comes very close to what I experience over here in a fine dining restaurant.

I should state mainstream mass market cruise lines.

We are long time cruisers, and are booked on a TA on the Divina. I keep reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, from recent cruisers. There still are a lot of people who are saying good things about the Divina. However one constant negative is the food in the buffet, and main dining rooms. This is something that MSC should be looking into.

Your comment is spot on.

My post served its purpose. We now have fresh pros and cons relative to the food on the Divina. Different backgrounds have different tastes and opinions, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Thanks to all of you, I'm certain that MSC (whose people read these posts) will make changes where they feel it is necessary. Food preparation is what's important. It seems to me that the should pay more attention to quality control.

• 2 weeks later...

Flatbush,

Been there done that, don't expect Zagat rated restaurants. Many I have experienced on Crystal have compared favorable, but I didn't expect to read so many complaints from so many people. I can afford to cruise with anyone, but I really liked the itinerary on this cruise, and I prefer bigger ships. Not too much to do but eat, sleep and read on "luxury liners" such as Seaborne, Crystal, Regent and the like.

The gym, I understand is smaller than the gyms on Crystal, but I'll survive. Everyone keeps saying that Americans are different, and expect too much. I've been on cruises with over 80% Europeans on large ships, and you know what, they're just like us. They just want to have a good time and experience something special.

Mondo,,on our sailing this past week aboard Divina, the mix was 60% International and 40% American. There was a large contingency of Asian pax onboard as well. I was told,,by an unnamed source, that Divina Is here in the states to provide the European pax with another Caribbean option. She is not here to compete with the American Cruise Lines. I have also learned that when Divina goes into dry dock, carpets, as well as some other wearable items will be replaced, and that there will be little changes made to the dining venues.

At last someones talking sense!!

They aren't trying to attract Americans for any other reason than to fill the empty cabins if the truth be known. Air fares from the EU are stupid at the last minute. If they want to sell the empty cabins they have one option, US guests. The ship will have the same food delivery, the same staff. If the food isn't eaten it becomes fish food. The wage bills also the same.

Europeans have a natural affinity to the Caribbean, thats the true purpose of the Divina. They can't fill it YET with EU guests.

From what I can see, the only real change is a more expensive AI option ( maybe Americans drink more?) and taking USD (self serving easy USD for MSC.)

If you want to see some different reviews, check out some of the EU cruise sites in Italy, Spain, Germany. Oddly the EU guests don't tent to post here.

I know this post will be disagreeable to some of you, but to be frank I really don't care. Kind of fed up of reading embarrassing tripe every time I log on.

At last someones talking sense!!

They aren't trying to attract Americans for any other reason than to fill the empty cabins if the truth be known. Air fares from the EU are stupid at the last minute. If they want to sell the empty cabins they have one option, US guests. The ship will have the same food delivery, the same staff. If the food isn't eaten it becomes fish food. The wage bills also the same.

Europeans have a natural affinity to the Caribbean, thats the true purpose of the Divina. They can't fill it YET with EU guests.

From what I can see, the only real change is a more expensive AI option ( maybe Americans drink more?) and taking USD (self serving easy USD for MSC.)

If you want to see some different reviews, check out some of the EU cruise sites in Italy, Spain, Germany. Oddly the EU guests don't tent to post here.

I know this post will be disagreeable to some of you, but to be frank I really don't care. Kind of fed up of reading embarrassing tripe every time I log on.

Andrew,,,this is also a reason as to why we don't see MSC commercials on tv here in the states marketing their product. I also have to agree with you on the airfare. I've been quoted, from the MSC 3rd party agent, a price of $899.00 pp for travel from Miami, to Manchester(visiting friends we met on our last sailing) and then Manchester to Genoa, Italy. I was shocked at this price!!!

If you would be so kind Andrew, could you direct me to a couple of the EU cruise sites similar to CC??? I would love to do some research for our upcoming sailing on Divina from Genoa in October 2015..:)

Edited by Mikesa1721

Andrew,,,this is also a reason as to why we don't see MSC commercials on tv here in the states marketing their product.

If you would be so kind Andrew, could you direct me to a couple go the UK cruise sites similar to CC??? I would love to do some research for our upcoming sailing on Divina from Genoa in October 2015..:)

We use CC in the UK, its language that prevents other continental EU countries using CC. some traditional UK cruise guests have the same issues as many US guests. its the Italian, German and French reviews you need to look at.

If I post them on here the 'thought police' will kick me and delete post.

Google cruise review / holiday review etc into different languages and google the subsequent result.

Our last cruise was on the MSC Armonia from La Spezia in Italy. 2000ish guests. 27 english speaking (US UK CANADA AUS) it was great. EVERY member of crew spoke English. Admittedly some better than others!

We use CC in the UK, its language that prevents other continental EU countries using CC. some traditional UK cruise guests have the same issues as many US guests. its the Italian, German and French reviews you need to look at.

If I post them on here the 'thought police' will kick me and delete post.

Google cruise review / holiday review etc into different languages and google the subsequent result.

Our last cruise was on the MSC Armonia from La Spezia in Italy. 2000ish guests. 27 english speaking (US UK CANADA AUS) it was great. EVERY member of crew spoke English. Admittedly some better than others!

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew,,I'll try doing that!!!! I have just over a year to try and at least make an attempt at learning some Italian,,,just enough to get by or get myself into trouble, one or the other!!:eek: Hopefully, since this is a Repo from Genoa to Miami, there will be some English speaking pax onboard!!!