Free Signature Beverage Package

Avril

Yes, all coffee drinks are part of SBP. And we would use one card and order 2 coffees at the same time and, as the total value was less than $8 they were counted as 1 of the 15 drinks for one person. But, that's mainly just for interest as we never managed to make it to 15 drinks pp in a single day (got close, however!).

On our last cruise we had a free Signature Beverage package while others on the cruise had Explore4. This was due to two different promotions running at different times. So, you could just have the SBP and not get the free dinners like on the Explore4.

My wife and I just booked our cruise with HAL last week. (First cruise for both of us) We chose the 12/26 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam. We looked all over - HAL - ************, the mainstream travel sites, a buddy even offered his RCI membership discounts (which were very nice). The best we found was through Costco travel. We got a balcony room it included the SBP as well as $260 on board credit, an additional $50 on board credit as well as the dinner for 2 at the pinnacle. We paid right about 1300 a piece.

We were pleased.

It's my understanding from reading the fine print that the SBP covers all drinks less than $8. (Juices, soda, coffee and adult beverages) I looked at the bar menu the other day on here and it looks like most everything is less than 8 bucks. So with the SBP you should be able to get whatever your heart desires. (up to 15 drinks per day anyway - if memory serves)

We'll be using ship credits for excursions which we'll be booking in the coming weeks. Otherwise, maybe a meal in one of the restaurants.

Here is the actual package...

$260 Shipboard Credit

More value on every cruise with savings or benefits, just for Costco members. For cruises featuring a Costco Travel shipboard credit, the amount will be calculated as follows:

Cruise fares from $250 - $10,000 receive $25 to $925

Cruise fares from $10,001 - $20,000 receive $950 to $1,875

Terms & Conditions Expand Button

Explore 4

Signature Beverage Package for two: Enjoy all beverages priced $8 or lower (including service charges)

One Pinnacle Grill dinner for two

Terms & Conditions Expand Button

Bonus Shipboard Credit

$50 Bonus Shipboard Credit

If you wish to use shipboard credit for excursions, you will have to wait until you are on the ship to do that.

When you book on HAL's site, you will be asked for a credit card and you pay for those excursions right away.

If that's the case, is it an issue booking the excursions on the ship? Our first day will be at sea so I will have time but worried there may be fewer options that late in the game.

What do you veteran cruisers think? Are we safe waiting or should we book at least some excursions prior and then use ship credit for other dinners, merchandise and maybe a bottle of hootch for the room - along with an additional excursion or 2?

If that's the case, is it an issue booking the excursions on the ship? Our first day will be at sea so I will have time but worried there may be fewer options that late in the game.

What do you veteran cruisers think? Are we safe waiting or should we book at least some excursions prior and then use ship credit for other dinners, merchandise and maybe a bottle of hootch for the room - along with an additional excursion or 2?

I don't know if there's a hard and fast answer to that question. It really depends on the type and nature of the excursions. Something that is capacity controlled, like an excursion involving helicopters, dog sleds, and glaciers might have to be booked in advance. With other types of tours, the cruise line has more flexibility to add capacity.

If you post where you're going, I'm sure that someone here will be able to provide guidance.

Hat tip for the username.

Edited by POA1

I don't know if there's a hard and fast answer to that question. It really depends on the type and nature of the excursions. Something that is capacity controlled, like an excursion involving helicopters, dog sleds, and glaciers might have to be booked in advance. With other types of tours, the cruise line has more flexibility to add capacity.

If you post where you're going, I'm sure that someone here will be able to provide guidance.

De6 26th 7 day MS Westerdam to the Eastern Caribbean, Gran Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay.

:)

Thanks!

If there is an excursion we really want to do, we pre-book it.

Lately I have not seen too many excursions that sell out before the ship sails.

You can check on HAL's site and see if what you are interested in has a "limited" amount of space available.

We use shipboard credit to buy alcohol for the cabin -- good bottles of wine for dinner.

You will be surprised to see how quickly that shipboard credit can be used up. Remember that your $11.50 or $12 per person per day Hotel Service Charge is also taken out of that shipboard credit.

De6 26th 7 day MS Westerdam to the Eastern Caribbean, Gran Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay.

:)

Thanks!

You should be fine in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. If you are looking at the bioluminescent bay trip in San Juan, that might be one to pre-book, especially if it goes to Vieques. We're big fans of chartering a 6 passenger sailboat in Saint Thomas. We like to snorkel, and it's the best way, in my oh so humble opinion. That type of trip will have you on your own.

I think you'll be in good shape if you book on board. Have a great trip!