Golden Princess Alaska August 10,2015 Weather

lrockwitt

How is the weather in Alaska in August? Can you sit outside or is it too cold? How are the nights? Do you need a heavy Jacket or just a heavy sweater?

Well as you know its really impossibe to predict the weather especially in Alaska

(it can change in a matter of minutes).

We have cruised there in May/June/July/August/September.

We had snow and freezing rain in August, we have had 70's in early June and heavy rain in September.

Best to be prepared with gloves and hats too.

Layers layers layers.

We use our balcony in Alaska for hours and hours and I am glad many times that we had heavy coats gloves and hats. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

!7 cruises to Alaska later I can tell that know one knows. However, generally speaking sometime after mid-August the weather does start to cool and it does become wetter. On the other hand I have been there after mid-August and have worn shorts and a t-shirt. I would recommend a water proof jacket that you can wear a light sweater or fleece under, be sure and pack a hat and some gloves and I find it a good idea to spray a decent pair of low cut hikers or leather tennis shoes with a waterproof spray. Pack for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it's better than you thought.

We just sailed on the Golden Princess August 15, 2014. We had prepared for cold and rainy weather. We had only one not so nice day and that was Juneau. The rest of the days were sunny. We did not wear heavy jackets, only a sweater which we took off because it was so warm. I would not recommend a tour in Victoria. The ship arrived late and it took a good hour to disembark so our 7:45 trolley tour left at 8:45pm and it was dark. The tour should have been cancelled.

We just disembarked from the grand princess this morning

This was our fourth trip to Alaska

The preceding three trips had all been very nice weather

This trip, which departed on August 24, was not so nice weather

Immediately upon leaving Seattle

After leaving and 82° day, we quickly descended into a fog bank, and had nearly 2 days of fog with the fog horn blowing every five minutes

We also had to live in our long jeans and heavy coats every single day.

We never saw any son until yesterday, the last day, and even then the temperature was maybe 62°

We also had two days of heavy seas

Not severe, but heavy. eight or 9 foot seas, and the doors were cordoned off so that we could not go outside

So, the moral of the story is one never knows what type of whether one will have on an Alaskan cruise, so pack accordingly

If I had it to do all over again, I would have packed three pairs of jeans instead of one pair of jeans, and only one pair of cargo pants instead of four pair of cargo pants

Lol

Sorry about the typos I am dictating this using Siri and it has misspelled many words

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by 4cats4me

Just got back from Alaska cruise on Star Princess. Juneau on 8-22 was a little over cast but upper 60's lower 70's, no rain. Skagway on the 23 rd was sunny and upper 70's. Locals said best weather in weeks. Ketchikan on the 25th was drizzly, but no hard rain. So it was different each day. No really bad weather during the entire trip. Sunned ourselves on the Lido deck several days. We felt it was better weather than could be expected.

I was on the August 9-16 Golden Princess sailing. We had rain and drizzle in Juneau and Glacier Bay; Ketchikan and Skagway were beautiful. Seattle was spectacular arriving and departing.

I agree with meh56: It wasn't worth going ashore in Victoria. It was completely dark by the time we got to Butchart Gardens. They do have lighting but it is not at all adequate to really enjoy the Gardens. And it is quite a ways out; we only had about 1¾ hrs. at the Gardens.

Edited by f-mattox

We were on the Aug 2-9 Golden Princess cruise from Seattle...the weather was cool but nice except for Ketchikan where it rained (drizzle) all day.

Only needed warm coats, with turtle neck under it, gloves and hat in Glacier bay.. it was foggy when we started but the sun came out and it was beautiful .

Just be sure to dress in layers so you can take some off as it warms up...also bring rain poncho and spray shoes with water repellant as others have suggested.

This was our second Alaskan cruise and only on our first cruise (land portion) did we have heavy downpoors and this was in Denali waiting for train to Fairbanks.

Think we got lucky.

The best advice we got was don't let the weather ruin your cruise...Alaska is beautiful even in the rain.