Gratuities

GUZPLY

You can reduce the total amount, not specific. That way, everyone serving you loses whether you received great or poor service.

The most effective way to let supervisors know that service has been poor is to use the "Comment" card/survey. Otherwise, everyone is affected.

The bottom line is that if you choose to cruise on a Princess ship when the on board currency is $US, the tipping customs in the US are followed. It has nothing to do with what you do in another country. It shouldn't be a surprise because there are FAQs on the Princess website.

Comparing international pricing vs. US pricing is apples to oranges. You can't make a direct comparison because there are so many factors (legal, financial, insurance, marketing, etc.) taken into effect.

In these cases its not about service issues or anything else.

They have made their mind up before stepping foot on onboard.

Pretty sad....

I have heard so many different things regarding gratuities, some say compulsory,some you can cancel some say you can choose the amount.

I have no problems with paying just what is best.

Please help.

My view, pay the hotel charge and extra to those who have given good service.

This constant questioning about gratuities is really just a first world problem.

Edited by Turbofun

I think the auto-gratuity works well and however you want to look at it (tip or service fee), it is part of the cost of the cruise. If I received bad service that required attention, I would bring it up to the staff person first and then to a higher up. I would never reduce/remove the auto-gratuity for any reason. I understand this a personal position. I also rarely accept free or reduced meals at restaurants when a complaint is made, so it is clear my complaint does not appear to have motive other than what it was intended, to inform the restaurant of an issue.

Also, in the days where you needed to personally tip on the last day, the dining room was always missing a significant amount of people to avoid tipping the staff. On the other hand, the staff is more honest with auto-gratuity about their attitude. It used to be blatantly patronizing , especially with the Head Waiter and the Maitre Dcoming around to the table chit chatting until they get their envelopes. Now they never stop by which is fine by me.

We were on Ruby in July and were able to reduce the amount taken automatically with no problem or questioning...

We are anxiously waiting! :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the response!

Are you still holding your breath? :eek:

By the way, Tom, my wife agrees about the Bingo! :eek:

While I agree with Billco, they come across as real "Tightazzzzzzs" oops, I mean "Tightwads".