Paradise Seaside Grill?

jelenedra

Anybody have any experience here? When I checked "a travel review site", the reviews were either horrible or very good, so its hard to know what to think. Just looking for anyone's personal experience regarding service/food quality. We were looking to walk to Smith Cove beach, but maybe stop for a bite and drink there, either before or after the beach.

Thanks, all!

If you plan to walk to Smith Cove

you'll be better off stopping at Sunset House for lunch or libation

Sunset House: My Bar A legendary local favorite

The dishes on the menu range from fish tacos and conch fritters to burgers and fish and chips, with a selection of salads for those who prefer the lighter side of life.

After the great beer and food, probably the biggest selling point of My Bar at Sunset House is its atmosphere and view. Even on the hottest days of the year, there is a lovely breeze moving through there, and people can either sit at the bar, or take a seat at one of the many tables on the large deck.

http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/2014/09/02/Sunset-House--My-Bar-A-legendary-local-favorite/

Paradise is on the edge of 'downtown' ... Sunset sits between downtown and Smith's Cove

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

you can't miss the sign

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks Capn BJ! I have seen your reviews of Sunset House before and was thinking about that one too, but when you go to their website, it doesn't say much about being able to just walk in to My Bar. Boy I'd love to not be on a cruise so we could actually stay there! So I guess when you see the sign, you can just pop in even if you're not a guest? And if you're having too much fun eating and drinking, there might be a chair to relax in or a spot along the water? So we might not make it to Smiths Cove after all? ;)

Capn BJ, and by the way, I used to live in Melbourne back in the late 70's early 80's. Near the Wickham/Sarno Rd intersection. We drove around there last April and it looks nothing like I remember! My best friend still resides in Cape Canaveral.

it doesn't say much about being able to just walk in to My Bar

My Bar is one of the most popular bar/rest's for the 'locals'

you ABSOLUTELY can just 'walk in' ... almost every night when I stay there some local organization is holding their meeting ... or a family celebration ... the Governor's car is frequently seen in the parking lot (special plates). On weekends it is packed and usually a 50/50 split of hotel/divers and locals

So I guess when you see the sign, you can just pop in even if you're not a guest?

Near the sign is a set of doors to the front desk of the hotel, and a driveway .... follow the driveway towards the water and you can not miss "My Bar" ... at lunch time you'll find two groups: divers, staying at the hotel; and locals enjoying lunch. What you probably WON'T see are fellow cruisers .... not many anyway ....

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

I'd love to not be on a cruise so we could actually stay there! .... And if you're having too much fun eating and drinking, there might be a chair to relax in or a spot along the water?

So far as staying here ... it IS a diver place ... if you dive I'd say it is THE place (we've been visiting since the mid 80's) but if not a diver you might find the amenities few (no massages or nails or room service) There is no "beach" ... this is an 'iron shore' area where the coral reef runs right up to the shore. For snorkel/diving this is GREAT because when you jump in the good stuff is right there!!!! But no sand beach ....

As mentioned in the linked articles, the bar has MANY umbrella'd tables on the deck. AND IME, if one is buying from the bar, they have NO objection to your using the loungers around the pool and the pool itself . . . cruise people won't usually come this far down the road so there is SELDOM a crowd problem .... BUT to be honest it CAN happen ... Sunset is occasionally host to special events in the diving world and IF there is a crowding issue - VERY UNUSUAL - you can't blame them for a preference for their hotel guests. I have NEVER experienced this in 30 years of visits but others have posted about it. It is more of a problem at the dive shop IMO on the RARE times it happens at all.

gearing up for a night dive at Sunset

100_0104_zps8b3dbeb5.jpg

Melbourne

I used to live in Melbourne back in the late 70's early 80's. Near the Wickham/Sarno Rd intersection. We drove around there last April and it looks nothing like I remember

I lived very near the port 86 - 89 when assigned to one of the CG Cutters calling Port Canaveral home. When we lived in Canaveral, driving "all the way to Melbourne" was a seldom event! Suntree was 'way out there' and a trip to Patrick AFB commissary, an adventure!

I now live very close to the I-95 and Pineda Causeway interchange (did not exist until 2 years ago) ..... Last time I drove thru my old neighborhood at Banana River Drive and SR-528 {you may remember as BEELINE Expressway but the state changed to BEACHLINE expressway} I thought ..... I used to live here ???

Edited by Capt_BJ

LOL! The BEELINE! My friend's husband Jim (and I) still call it that! We say Beachline to get him riled up! :D It is so different. And yeah, Cape Canaveral seemed like it was so far away. At one time I rented a condo on Clearlake Rd, near Michigan Ave. It was a long trek it seemed, to go home on Sundays to do laundry (and get dinner from Mom!) My friend still works at KSC, but so many people have been let go over the years. Its kind of sad, but things do change. I'll have to ask them if they ever have been to Sunset House...they dive, too, (unlike DH and I) and may have very well come across it in their travels!

and OP aka Jel' .... in the 'small world' category I see you list Southern CT as home base

I did a bit of time in south west CT having attended a certain 4 year college on the banks of the Thames in New London across the street from CONN College. But I'm not sure if that area counts as southern CT .. close at least?

We ate there Sep 2012. We asked our excursion guide where he would reccommend and where locals might eat and that was one of the places he suggested. We had four in our party and not one person at our table had one bad thing to say about the place or their meal. We loved the food and the view was breathtaking. It is on our to-do list when we go back in a couple days. The fish burger was awesome! (JMHO)

We ate there Sep 2012. We asked our excursion guide where he would reccommend and where locals might eat and that was one of the places he suggested. We had four in our party and not one person at our table had one bad thing to say about the place or their meal. We loved the food and the view was breathtaking. It is on our to-do list when we go back in a couple days. The fish burger was awesome! (JMHO)

Which restaurant are you writing about?